Death mechanic

VarietyMMOs

Below is a video link to new death mechanic.

https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/1546894540895883265

While this death mechanic works well for survival games it does not fit in the slightest with dual universe. This isn't a survival game, we do not have survival mechanics and we're not humans in a survival game so the heart beat makes no sense. 

If anything the sound of explosions should be louder to give you a better feeling of the disaster that is befalling you while you die in a ship.

I like the idea of the death mechanic but its simply not a good fit. More explosions, more gun fire and less survival...

I believe the death mechanic should be a few seconds longer as well, It would really help with the feeling of loss in pvp.

What are you thoughts? 

It does not matter if we die, because we are immortal. When an avatar is broken (it doesn't die, it just breaks down like a machine), you are simply loaded into a new avatar.

That is then also with my point of criticism with pirates or system-unfaithful players. You could just prevent them from being re-uploaded from the library so we can build a peaceful society.

But well, the main story is so fatally designed anyway...there makes such a thing hardly a difference.

4 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

But well, the main story is so fatally designed anyway...

... There is a main story?

There's a few lines when you make a char like "wow arkship.... wow new world" and then you never hear a single word ever again.

This is where they could actually expand the world a lot, with a few decent PVE mechanics, but they don't seem to want the place to be immersive like that.

It is interesting that we have been able to save a few million people of the earth by lottery. Flying across space to save humanity, wanting to build a new civilization.

Apparently, we have not controlled in the lottery process, which people, with what skills and expertise we take with us.

So it seems also very unreal, if the first "humans", which are none, but actually only data sets in avatars,...do not work together on a first small settlement, but each player goes solo and thinks of it, he wants to be then the best player with power and influence. Instead of collecting raw materials together for a settlement and a new civilization, we think again only about profit, profit maximization and how to bring other players around their quantum. Our own wealth comes before everything. But for what? Most of humanity are frozen and is uploaded in avatars. So what would be the next steps? The avatars will not save humanity in the long run, only the real people including reproduction would. So in the long run we also need a basic supply, food, drink, housing, medical care, garbage systems, recycling, energy supply, water-wastewater and much more. 

This addition is a surprise.

But not a bad one.

I agree that the heartbeats may be too much. But anyway since I never play with the sound of the game, I would never have realized. My opinion may not be the most relevant.

If not by all the devils, we will really have to talk about the mechanics related to the resurections nodes one day.

Why 7 years later we don't have anything that has been thought out for the game's balance with respect to the death mechanic :

I'm still waiting for the changes announced for PvP following the discussion on my topic of shields and venting mechanics.

Once that's dealt with, I guess the next workhorse will have to be the game's death mechanic.

25 minutes ago, Knight-Sevy said:

This addition is a surprise.

But not a bad one.

I agree that the heartbeats may be too much. But anyway since I never play with the sound of the game, I would never have realized. My opinion may not be the most relevant.

If not by all the devils, we will really have to talk about the mechanics related to the resurections nodes one day.

Why 7 years later we don't have anything that has been thought out for the game's balance with respect to the death mechanic :

I'm still waiting for the changes announced for PvP following the discussion on my topic of shields and venting mechanics.

Once that's dealt with, I guess the next workhorse will have to be the game's death mechanic.

LOL its amazing how far they have strayed from what was pitched to us.  Most pvpers prolly have 20 rez nodes. And bounce all over in times to get somewhere quick for action.  Back in the multi crew days, we would have people mine but have active rez nodes on pvp ships so they could just force respawn to be repair men when a fight broke out.

Resurrection nodes, and a players "home" could have been great things to help the MMO and civilization part.  Suggestions made in past include only having 1 rez node ever activated at one time.  If you activate another one it will deactivate your current.  Another was declaring a "home" tile or static/space contstuct.  That couldnt be changed lightly, tho could.  This would tie in to residence/population and expanding tiles.  Could help for further mechanics of elections, and how orgs grow.  Also this ties in to only ONE org per character.  Make people make choices, choices are fun, and then can create divide, then conflict and further the interaction part of the game.   Also by having a "home" or residence you can enact some small buffs, like if you log out in your bed at home, you get 100 rate of skills increase instead of 90 or something.  Just a small nudge.  CARE about where you live and your choices.  Also rez nodes only on static/space constructs.  But alas....what we are left with is a game that is a shell of what it dreamed to be.  Not even a shell, a broken shattered collection of pieces that once resembled a shell. 

13 minutes ago, VandelayIndustries said:

LOL its amazing how far they have strayed from what was pitched to us.  Most pvpers prolly have 20 rez nodes. And bounce all over in times to get somewhere quick for action.  Back in the multi crew days, we would have people mine but have active rez nodes on pvp ships so they could just force respawn to be repair men when a fight broke out.

Resurrection nodes, and a players "home" could have been great things to help the MMO and civilization part.  Suggestions made in past include only having 1 rez node ever activated at one time.  If you activate another one it will deactivate your current.  Another was declaring a "home" tile or static/space contstuct.  That couldnt be changed lightly, tho could.  This would tie in to residence/population and expanding tiles.  Could help for further mechanics of elections, and how orgs grow.  Also this ties in to only ONE org per character.  Make people make choices, choices are fun, and then can create divide, then conflict and further the interaction part of the game.   Also by having a "home" or residence you can enact some small buffs, like if you log out in your bed at home, you get 100 rate of skills increase instead of 90 or something.  Just a small nudge.  CARE about where you live and your choices.  Also rez nodes only on static/space constructs.  But alas....what we are left with is a game that is a shell of what it dreamed to be.  Not even a shell, a broken shattered collection of pieces that once resembled a shell. 

Oh yes, it's a big big subject that needs to be worked on.

But hey, as I said, the priority for me is a PvP balance. Namely that the game is at least in agreement with itself about the voxel design of the ships. That the venting is really usable. That the tracking options, angular velocity are really useful for something (the game really needs to stop allowing me to OS with an L railgun, an XS microship at 400km...).

Without that, the rest is useless.

Once all this is in place then we could definitely finally start talking about other topics.

=> " You can't just put one on the way, just in case, without thinking too much about it. "

That's exactly what we do, every day all the time. Resnodes everywhere "just in case"

Then the failure of the core aliens is the typical example of not implementing the mechanisms they talked about in the devblog.

A group of locally established players must be able to stand up to a projection force ...

1 hour ago, VandelayIndustries said:

But alas....what we are left with is a game that is a shell of what it dreamed to be.  Not even a shell, a broken shattered collection of pieces that once resembled a shell. 

I wish it was a bad joke, but the main death mechanic in DU is ... boredom leading to permadeath.

For what it is, the death mechanic (would call it more a death sequence/scene) is fine.. I'd wish that NQ prevented the loading screen to pop up though, it break the "immersion" ..

On 7/13/2022 at 8:02 AM, Zarcata said:

It does not matter if we die, because we are immortal. When an avatar is broken (it doesn't die, it just breaks down like a machine), you are simply loaded into a new avatar.

That is then also with my point of criticism with pirates or system-unfaithful players. You could just prevent them from being re-uploaded from the library so we can build a peaceful society.

But well, the main story is so fatally designed anyway...there makes such a thing hardly a difference.

Alas, speaking of fatal flaws, we have 2 conflicting versions on the rez mechanicz, both from NQ themselves:

Number 1 is the "EvE way":

"When you get killed in Dual Universe, your body is destroyed but your consciousness is transferred to a Resurrection Node, where your body is reconstructed and you get a nude-clean fresh start; you can only spawn back at the //nearest// of the nodes you are linked to and conditions, such as owner authorization or organization membership, will apply."

It's actually an older version of the rez mechanics, no longer documented if I am not mistaken.

Number 2 is the "Multiverse way":

"Quantum Branching is at the heart of the Resurrection Node technology and is based on the “Many Worlds Interpretation” of quantum mechanics. At any moment, in particular, when you die violently, several versions of the universe coexist in parallel. Scientists working on EPR pair experiments unexpectedly found a way to instantly switch one universe with another, and in particular to switch the universe where you die with another one where everything would be exactly the same, except that your body position would be inside a Resurrection Node. The amount of matter to switch increases the energy cost of the operation, so RN teleport only the minimal set of mass to get the desired effect, which is... your naked body. A Resurrection Node is paired with your body and cannot be used by somebody else. It will make you virtually immortal, even if natural aging will probably get you out of the loop at some point."

This one came later with the tech lore; it may replace the first one.

In both case however, we are living people encased in ugly suits; the artificial versions are the "surrogates" from VR pods, which look indistinguishable from the living, increasing confusion...

On 7/13/2022 at 8:39 AM, Zarcata said:

It is interesting that we have been able to save a few million people of the earth by lottery. Flying across space to save humanity, wanting to build a new civilization.

Apparently, we have not controlled in the lottery process, which people, with what skills and expertise we take with us.

So it seems also very unreal, if the first "humans", which are none, but actually only data sets in avatars,...do not work together on a first small settlement, but each player goes solo and thinks of it, he wants to be then the best player with power and influence. Instead of collecting raw materials together for a settlement and a new civilization, we think again only about profit, profit maximization and how to bring other players around their quantum. Our own wealth comes before everything. But for what? Most of humanity are frozen and is uploaded in avatars. So what would be the next steps? The avatars will not save humanity in the long run, only the real people including reproduction would. So in the long run we also need a basic supply, food, drink, housing, medical care, garbage systems, recycling, energy supply, water-wastewater and much more. 

According to lore:

"Riots break out all around the world over the selection process that dictates who gets to board the Arkships. The process was created by a scientific committee from the UEF, aimed at gathering the maximal amount of genetic diversity, plus a lottery to offset the fact that not everybody could go."

So it's less about skills preservation and more about preventing genetic inbreeding, as well as making people accept their fate via the "luck excuse". It is said that mobs overran some of the arkships and some even got destroyed before they could take off, so this lottery may not have been a widely accepted stratagem.

The fact that we get awaken in batches may be a key factor in one of the game's supposed "secret stories": how come we, the "first pioneers", wake up to markets and shops and institutes everywhere ? How are we to interpret the supposed date of Captain Lamarr's logs, set 2 centuries before awakening ?

Unfortunately, this last one hinges on the upcoming wipe: was this just another dream ? We being in final NOT in the real world yet could void any speculation... (This, for the personal record, is what irks me the most about the wipe)