Alternative to xolla

Zychov

I would like to provide a caution to everyone that it is perfectly fine to ask for different and valid ways to subscribe to Dual Universe.
However, any comments and statements regarding Real-World Politics, Ideology or Religion is in violation of our Forum Terms & Conditions, and will be actioned upon.

Please ensure you are fully aware of these rules, which are provided here:
https://www.dualuniverse.game/legal/code-of-conduct#article-2

Best regards,
NQ-Rubicon

6 hours ago, NQ-Rubicon said:

I would like to provide a caution to everyone that it is perfectly fine to ask for different and valid ways to subscribe to Dual Universe.
However, any comments and statements regarding Real-World Politics, Ideology or Religion is in violation of our Forum Terms & Conditions, and will be actioned upon.

Please ensure you are fully aware of these rules, which are provided here:
https://www.dualuniverse.game/legal/code-of-conduct#article-2

Best regards,
NQ-Rubicon

How's the weather in your place Rubicon? Here in Poland it's still sunny so far.

Edited by Zychov

This warning is weird, it seems like NQ is trying to go out of their way to protect Xsolla.

That they fired 150 employees over an email saying "Work your f**king ass off or get your f**king ass out" after using AI to determine "productiveness" is not a political, ideological or religious view, it's a matter of fact. 

No one should have a problem with paying customers knowing facts about where their money is going and who it is going to support. That's completely relevant to DU and relevant to anyone that pays a sub for DU. 

On 7/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, blundertwink said:

This warning is weird, it seems like NQ is trying to go out of their way to protect Xsolla.

That they fired 150 employees over an email saying "Work your f**king ass off or get your f**king ass out" after using AI to determine "productiveness" is not a political, ideological or religious view, it's a matter of fact. 

No one should have a problem with paying customers knowing facts about where their money is going and who it is going to support. That's completely relevant to DU and relevant to anyone that pays a sub for DU. 

The warning was partially due to a post that was removed completely.  And the OP was edited slightly, so there's a bit of missing context.

As you pointed out though, there are several non-geopolitical reasons to not want to do business with Xolla.

I hope NQ considerers finding a better payment system.  On top of everything else, I think it looks unprofessional for customers to have to deal with a shady 3rd party company when they want to cancel their subscription.  It's not a good look.

iirc XSOLLA has ties with some of the investors for NQ.. hence the inclusion of XSOLLA is very possibly part of the investment.

I'd agree that XSOLLA is one company I'd stay away from as far as possible for a number of reasons.

So yeah.. just buy gametime from Markeedragon and you get the added advantage of not having a sub so just add time as you want/need (or not)..

5 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

iirc XSOLLA has ties with some of the investors for NQ.. hence the inclusion of XSOLLA is very possibly part of the investment.

I've seen this rumor over and over again around here, but have yet to see any evidence for it.

This is really just a rumor and as far as I can see, there's no known ties between NQ's VC partners and Xsolla. One person insisted it's true but "couldn't say how they know". Riiight. There's no reason to believe this is true. 

I strongly question Xsolla's rather absurd 5% fee...that on top of the very poor customer UX convinces me that any time they've saved with using Xsolla was not worth it. 

Stripe is known for having some of the highest fees in the payment gateway world. Xsolla is twice that. So NQ is throwing away ~2.5% of all their revenue over all time for the convenience of a few weeks of web dev saved.

In reality, they're losing more than that; there's certainly customers that were so frustrated with the cancellation process they will never, ever return. 

You guys are complaining about the 5% transaction fee when Paypal charges up to 4% transaction fee (including fixed fee)? Well, if you would compare Xsolla to Paypal, Xsolla is secured, and Paypal is vulnerable to fraud. I've used Xsolla for a long time and I have no problem with them, while I have problems with their competition regarding security and service.

I believe cancel culture is behind the reason why you people want to avoid Xsolla. I've been using the platform for a long time and I just find it hard to relate with your complaints.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, blundertwink said:

It is indeed a fact, and here is my question to you: what does this have to do with the quality of their service?

On 7/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, blundertwink said:

No one should have a problem with paying customers knowing facts about where their money is going and who it is going to support.

Cancel culture indeed! We are not going to discuss politics here as it's not even relevant to the topic. If you take all of it out, you'll see that they provide a satisfactory service as per my experience. Without politics involved, what is the problem with Xsolla?

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

Cancel culture indeed! We are not going to discuss politics here as it's not even relevant to the topic. If you take all of it out, you'll see that they provide a satisfactory service as per my experience. Without politics involved, what is the problem with Xsolla?

Good services does not matter if the companies are a..holes, as a customer and user you should always call-out such behavior, it is called taking ownership and responsibility of where you monies go

13 hours ago, Eternal said:

You guys are complaining about the 5% transaction fee when Paypal charges up to 4% transaction fee (including fixed fee)? 

Taking the amount of subscriptions NQ wil need to remain viable, 1% will be a lot of money not flowing into the pocket of the payment processor

I've used Xsolla for a long time and I have no problem with them, while I have problems with their competition regarding security and service.

Sure, from a consumer perspective, that is true. If you take the known controversy and issues about them and their customers into account, they ae not exactly a nice company to work with.

I believe cancel culture is behind the reason why you people want to avoid Xsolla.

I believe you are trying to stigmatize those you do not agree with as this is complete nonsense. There is penty of verified and acciurate incident involving XSOLLA to prefer to not deal with them.

I personally don't care much for how many employees XSOLLA has fired under questionable circumstance, that's an issue Cali's LWDA to adress. No reason for me to picket about that, if there's some merit to to the rumors, former emloyees have surely filed a compaint with LWDA and there's nothing more you and I can do about it.

What i do however question is choose a SINGLE payment processor for DU, while others in industry typically have multiple options to choose from, even EVE, which DU would love take part of the cake from has had at least 6 options at any given time throughout the history of service.

And what makes it even more baffling is to choose a payment processor with such obsucre and often questionable business practices (double charging, no automated cancellation procedure, unathorized payment among the most common ones) towards its clients to be the exclusive subscription gateway.

Hubris will be NQ's downfall.  And our wallets are the jury to decide what behaviour we are willing to deem acceptable, not the other way around.

18 hours ago, Eternal said:

We are not going to discuss politics here as it's not even relevant to the topic.

Says the person whining about cancel culture...

As stated, their fees are very high relative to the industry. That doesn't mean Paypal's fees are cheap...there's a lot more payment gateways out there than PayPal or Xsolla lol. 

Security is irrelevant -- competitor services like Stripe are also PCI level 1 gateways and also offer hosted checkouts (which are designed to eliminate the PCI burden on the merchant, NQ)...and as I said, Stripe is among the most expensive gateways at ~2.9% + $0.30. I don't know why you brought up paypal as the only other comparison when there are so many better services. 

How they treat their employees is completely relevant to my decision-making as a customer. Few companies that treat their employees like crap also treat their customers well.

Xsolla is one of the only sub services that doesn't offer the ability to cancel a sub online. That's not for a customer's benefit. 

So...I dislike Xsolla because there's obviously better options with lower rates, which saves money for NQ, and offers a far, far superior customer UX. It's certain that some players from open beta that went through Xsolla scammy cancellation process will never return because of that poor UX. That's just basic business sense. 

You're the one whining about cancel culture when there's many objective reasons to avoid this company...if you don't agree with those reasons, fine...but don't make faulty assumptions about my motivation or reasoning. 

I think the original question has already been answered as all of of the currently available options have been listed. I would just like to add that upon release you will also be able to trade quanta for DACs which can then be used to maintain your subscription. If none of these options appeal to you then maybe reply with suggestions for alternative payment methods, just try to stick to companies that support a wide range of international transactions as we have many players from France, Germany, Russia, UK, USA, Canada, etc.

1 hour ago, Msoul said:

I would just like to add that upon release you will also be able to trade quanta for DACs which can then be used to maintain your subscription.

Are you sure about that? While yes, NQ sold us that idea initially but we know how many o fthe things NQ sold us ended up. At this time, unless NQ comes out and reaffirms this, I have no reason to expect this to happen.. at al..

For now, DAC is antirely an out of game item and indication so far actually support the idea that this will remain that way..

It may be good to not present what you think will be the case as fact incase you may well need to eat those words.

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Xsolla is one of the only sub services that doesn't offer the ability to cancel a sub online. That's not for a customer's benefit. 

Wait.  How do you cancel a subscription?  Buy phone?

9 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Phone or email only. They don't have automated sub cancelation, you have to contact their support. 

Edit: to be clear, there is an online cancel link that is sent when you first sub to DU, but that's the only link afaik to cancel online and plenty of people lose it or don't realize that link exists

I should note that this likely violate's new rules put in place by Visa/Mastercard that require simple cancellations. These rules were supposed to go into effect in 2020 or before, but got delayed due to Covid...Xsolla would probably argue that having to email their support counts as "online cancellation" because that's exactly the sort of company they are. 

Edited by blundertwink

1 hour ago, Jake Arver said:

Are you sure about that? While yes, NQ sold us that idea initially but we know how many of the things NQ sold us ended up. At this time, unless NQ comes out and reaffirms this, I have no reason to expect this to happen.. at al..

You make a good point, I don't necessarily know the future with 100% certainty and of course the last thing I want to do is mislead players. With that said, based on NQs recent news articles and overall direction on monetization, I am confident enough to assert this as one potential avenue for maintaining player subscriptions. Could things change? Absolutely, but there is currently nothing to indicate that we are deviating from this path and I fear that omitting DACs from the list of potential options would thus be more misleading. Remember the principle behind the DAC is to allow players to purchase a tradeable form of gametime and the current implementation (ie: the summer DAC system) is just being used to test functionality. Being an out of game item does not necessarily prevent it from fulfilling its intended purpose but either way the plan, as stated in that most recent news article, is to add DACs to the in-game market.

25 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Just an fyi, should anyone experience issues obtaining/canceling/renewing their subscription don't hesitate to reach out to NQ customer support. They have some great people who would be more than willing to help you figure things out.

3 hours ago, Msoul said:

Remember the principle behind the DAC is to allow players to purchase a tradeable form of gametime and the current implementation (ie: the summer DAC system) is just being used to test functionality. Being an out of game item does not necessarily prevent it from fulfilling its intended purpose but either way the plan, as stated in that most recent news article, is to add DACs to the in-game market.

And NQ has no track-record for turning temporary test versions into permanent features of the game.. no.. none at all..

10 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Phone or email only. They don't have automated sub cancelation, you have to contact their support. 

Edit: to be clear, there is an online cancel link that is sent when you first sub to DU, but that's the only link afaik to cancel online and plenty of people lose it or don't realize that link exists

I should note that this likely violate's new rules put in place by Visa/Mastercard that require simple cancellations. These rules were supposed to go into effect in 2020 or before, but got delayed due to Covid...Xsolla would probably argue that having to email their support counts as "online cancellation" because that's exactly the sort of company they are. 

I wonder if the email is some kind of loophole that lets then get away with not having a simple way of canceling otherwise.

It's just so blatantly dishonest.

I'm sure they don't have any problems providing ways to instantly initiate the reoccurring charges.   But when it comes to canceling them, they just never quite got around to adding the button.  Oops.

Even if there are other ways of paying for a subscription.  Having Xolla as an option is just messed up.  They might as well tell customers that they can pay to play the game by meeting a guy in a trench coat down a dark alley somewhere.