REQUEST: please expose at least some of system to screen Lua

Tordan

Dear Relevant Devs,

Please expose the following items from system to screen Lua

system.getItem()

system.getUtcTime()

system.getArkTime()

also...

Mostly this request stems from the fact that  getInput() and setOutput()  are capped at a VERY small string

doing a system.getItem(id).displayName into the input table before json encoding it seriously cuts into the 1024 characters.

It seems silly that I have to build my own item table to look up names from the screen unit, particularly as it would need to be maintained.

Of course it would also be very handy if you could just pass a table reference between PB and screen unit, (and databank for that matter). 

Complete agreement from my side. All data APIs should be available from every Lua-capable item in the game.

NQ has been stated elsewhere (can't find the post now) that they don't want screens to do all that a PB does (as that would make the PB obsolete), but I do think the interface between PB and screens needs to be improved/expanded.

@NQ-Ligo You can ofc not promise anything, but now you know of the request :)

18 hours ago, Tordan said:

Dear Relevant Devs,

Please expose the following items from system to screen Lua

system.getItem()

system.getUtcTime()

system.getArkTime()

also...

Mostly this request stems from the fact that  getInput() and setOutput()  are capped at a VERY small string

doing a system.getItem(id).displayName into the input table before json encoding it seriously cuts into the 1024 characters.

It seems silly that I have to build my own item table to look up names from the screen unit, particularly as it would need to be maintained.

Of course it would also be very handy if you could just pass a table reference between PB and screen unit, (and databank for that matter). 

As replied by @Yoarii, our goal is not to have everything accessible on the screen units.

However, we have already discussed internally to have time related functions in the screen units.
And we have also discussed adding a different IO for local use for larger data packages.

Obviously, I can't promise anything, but know that these are things we have in mind.