NQ created events - My thoughts

So in THIS THREAD NQ is asking for ideas on player events but seems to want to limit the context of that thread to just ideas on stand alone events and set aside ideas on how to make existing game mechanics better, driving changes in  these "events" to support gameplay and the game as a whole.

TL:DR

I woudl like to see NQ actually designing the game, it's story and the lore. As a MMO, that is what is needed an dthat is what will give the game a chance to build it's story.

Creating isolated "mini games" is not where I believe NQ should be heading as it woudl undermine the very core of what DU is. 

-- 

The long version;

Here is the slippery slope we are getting on with NQ created events in the way OP seems to want suggestions for. I understand and appreciate the effort OP is putting in to this post and question as well as the active engagement in discussion, but it appears to show that NQ does not really understand what kind of game they are creating and by making these suggestions are effectively going against the core design of the game as a MMO. 

DU is a MMO. It is supposed to work in a way where characters live their lives in the game. And in that they should not be faced with fictitious events which have no direct relevance or impact on these lives and do not have consequences fo rthe choices the player makes towards, during or after these events. This is really a basic core game design subject.

And let's not forget that NQ likes to label the game as a Metaverse as well, where IMO the above is even more applicable.

If the game were to have NQ created content, that content should be driven by the game's lore and/or storyline and the outcome of these events should feed (into) other mechanics in game. And here once again my earlier suggestion in the above mentioned thread comes in where NQ creates the mechanics in game to have more of a function in the game itself, not as a "stand alone activity". So yes, i feel that suggestion was entirely valid and on topic here.

It's why a game like EVE has these "events", which never stand on their own and always are part of the larger picture, generally driving another mechanic. It may sound funny here, but I'd really suggest that whoever is looking into this, picks up EVE and spend some time in the game, exploring it's many facents like exploration, like combat sites, like Planetairy interaction, like moon mining, like industry and markets. I'm not saying DU should be EVE (disregarding for a moment that NQ has on many occasions clearly stated EVE is a major inspiration), but liek is the case for EVE, I believe that in DU nothing should stand on it's own and shoudl both have an origin, a direction and a purpose. And that is basic game design.

I feel discussing this very much is both on topic and revant to the OP question/suggestion. If NQ is to create content in game, it should not be stand alone events, it should be integral to the game loops/flow and feed  the game's progression for players .

The suggestion of NQ creating events and seemingly wanting to see these suggestions be limited to "stand alone" occurences means that NQ is trying to build events which have no meaning other than being "things to do", they do not carry consequences and the potential spoils of these events serve no purpose but to give players "stuff"

If NQ stays onthe course they are on then that is a risk, yes. 

The idea of "just" creating the sandbox is tricky in itself but as I see it doable. To achieve that though, you need to focus on the tools you want to provide and build out the overacring story in which the player splay thei part and build the world. And it feels that with JC's departure from the company, followed by the financial constraints NQ has, that vidion and idea got lost somewhat.

I suggested an idea in the NQ thread on the events which is a simple idea on how to get that back on track, or start to at least. Let's try and get some constructive ideas on paper here that could, accoring to us as the community work towards that.. And hope NQ takes note..

So here's one:

Add versatility to surface harvesting, not have rocks all over and everywhere but pockets you need to hunt/scan for. In those pockets have a higher yield per rock than we have now and also have special items similar to gems which in turn could then buff elements like engines or allow for schematics to be researched and improved. These pockets could then respawn somewhere else in a set radius once depleted.

And another:

Create POI where either a task can be completed for Aphelia or a mission is given by her, when completed the reward is a set of items among which could be the same gems as in the surface harvesting or basic schematics.

This POI could be a "travelling Aphelia representative" as in a ship which will spawn or respawn and can be scanned down in spacer or on planets/moons.

POI in PVP space would yield better results and completing the tasks would keep you ion the move enough to mitigate the risk of having to sit around for a long time and be jumped on by pirates. If you are cautious and attentive you would be able to complete the POI objective and get out or at least have time to get away, which would then leave the POIN open for the pirate to take the items and use or sell them. Either way, the drops would find their way into the game.

I do not think such an idea woudl be very expensive and again, woudl drive activity and purpose for travel in the game. It will also aid in forming the exploration pillar

"Number three" ;)

A new Industry element which will be able to take basic schematics gotten from the POI in the previous idea and by adding gems, materials and/or specific components you can enhance, improve, or upgrade the schematic and make copies for X runs. These could then be used or sold.

One of the reasons Space engineers is relatively popular is due to the possibility of players adding content. Mods, all kind of mods.

Dual universe could learn from this and maybe even add a section where players can experiment with modding and sent those in for acceptance or rejection.

So the only events i would expect of a developer are stuff outside a game or stuff like easer/xmas/valentines day/and other shitty mmo events where you get dumb stuff and glamours (sorry to include my opinion about rewards at those events).

We do not need modding. We need more focus on elements or LUA that allow us to create more interactive playable content for other players. Think adventure mode in Minecraft sort of systems. With this NQ will never fall into the trap of having to create more and more MMO content to appease the player base. If players have more tools to do this themselves the game will always have fresh content churning out way faster than NQ could create themselves. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 2:11 AM, Jake Arver said:

So here's one:

Add versatility to surface harvesting, not have rocks all over and everywhere but pockets you need to hunt/scan for. In those pockets have a higher yield per rock than we have now and also have special items similar to gems which in turn could then buff elements like engines or allow for schematics to be researched and improved. These pockets could then respawn somewhere else in a set radius once depleted.

This I would like. After scanning for hexes to claim, the exploration is done. It would be nice to have some way to locate surface rocks that have high value that maybe are the result of a meteor strike or something. So they just randomly happen and are not something where the location is broadcast to everyone. Just a reward for people out there looking with some kind of scanner.