What kind of in-game events would you like to see in Dual Universe?

NQ-Nyota

Hey everyone, time to get your creativity hats on!

As you may know, not so long ago we had a pretty successful PTS PvP event as well as an egg finding event that was hit or miss depending on who was giving the feedback. :)

What kind of in-game events would you like to see in Dual Universe?

This is just a suggestion thread, to get your thoughts on what you would like to see and participate in. You can dream big but keep in mind that we have to work with the game world and it's not about adding a bunch of new things, but working with what is already there. 

Examples can be: Storytelling (Fan Fiction), PvP events, treasure hunts, build offs, even roleplaying events (as well as others).

Bonus points for adding a more detailed description. For example, saying more PvP events is fine, but adding in how you imagine a fun PvP event that you would enjoy is even better! 

And go!  (Thanks everyone!)

I would participate in a sort of gauntlet run.  Fly from some safe starting point to a point deep in PvP space where my ship would be logged on radar, then back to a safe finish point.  

Edited by Frank2
English is difficult.

11 minutes ago, Frank2 said:

I would participate in a sort of gauntlet run.  Fly from some safe starting point to a point deep in PvP space where my ship would be logged on radar, then back to a safe finish point.  

Thanks for the quick response! Would that be a timed gauntlet run or would it be to maybe capture flag points and who can get back quickest? :) Is there one you would prefer? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding? More details please.

Some sort of storyline that we can follow. Perhaps a Novean who woke early and we follow their exploration across the system. Having to solve puzzles and find constructs to go through the story. 

Could have it start with one character but it branches out into different storylines that all meet at the end, with a battle with aliens. 

20 minutes ago, NQ-Nyota said:

Thanks for the quick response! Would that be a timed gauntlet run or would it be to maybe capture flag points and who can get back quickest? :) Is there one you would prefer? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding? More details please.

Timed with some rewards for the fastest 10 or 12 ships.  I was thinking pirates would race to kill participants preventing them from finishing.  Maybe 5 waypoints like the way asteroids work, but without dragging a DSAT around.  I'm not sure how I would communicate the waypoints.  I guess post them on a big XL screen that would have to be invulnerable to attack.  There would have to be a radar with lua to record the ships that arrive and check in times.  I think pirates would camp the checkpoints pretty quickly, so it would be best if runners didn't have to stop.

(Is it possible to send coordinates to a chat window?  A radar picks up my ship, Colonel Mustard, logs the name and time, and then sends position of next waypoint to the ship chat window so I can right-click and set as destination?)

Edited by Frank2

I would like to see NQ not create events but create tools for player to create events. Similar to how Space Engineers allows for players to create scenarios.

Outside of that I'd like to see NQ focus on adding versatility to things like surface harvesting, not have rocks all over and everywhere but pockets you need to hunt/scan for. And in those pockets have a higher yield per rock and also have special items similar to gems which in turn could then buff elements like engines or allow for schematics to be researched and improved. These pockets could then respawn somewhere else in a set radius once depleted.

Imagine the possibilities that would add to the game at relative low cost.

8 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

I would like to see NQ not create events but create tools for player to create events. Similar to how Space Engineers allows for players to create scenarios.

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

Outside of that I'd like to see NQ focus on adding versatility to things like surface harvesting, not have rocks all over and everywhere but pockets you need to hunt/scan for. And in those pockets have a higher yield per rock and also have special items similar to gems which in turn could then buff elements like engines or allow for schematics to be researched and improved. These pockets could then respawn somewhere else in a set radius once depleted.

That is a suggestion of things that you would like to see added to the game, which is acceptable for other discussions, but that's not really an in-game event which is the topic focus here. An in-game event is much like it has been mentioned, a one time or re-occurring event sometimes, like seasonal or racing or PvP or, the list continues. If you don't want to see any of those, that's fine too, but please let's keep this about the topic. Thanks!  

Treasure/Hunt pvp.

Orgs or players can setup a set of clues..... write the clue on a screen and place a BP of the screen into a container... then they set up a mission with the location of the 1st clue....each player that find it can take one BP.. spawn the screen and read the clue.... there could be any number of clues leading to boxes....caves.. ships anchored in space....eventually leading to a grand prize... that might be a BP... a container of items... or even a ship in PVP space that needs to be found and claimed...

could lead to some fun pvp encounters..... if the ship is claimed you need to show you have all the clues to be awarded it....

it will need some thinking but basically there could be loads of ships floated in space.... or mission boxes... maybe NQ could help by spawning the ships at far off destinations so they are not accidentally discovered..

If we want to be creative people could even write lore/stories around the missing treasure...  If NQ sponsor the event the eventual rewards could be quite big... for the more involved missions.... some people that are good with LUA could create puzzles/escape room style locations that need to be solved... with some creativity this could be as big as we want!

The type of event doesn't matter too much (although I do love a good scavenger hunt with clues), but how the event is actually structured is important:

1. Clear start time, announced in advanced.

2. The event is entirely started at the announced time, and not rolled out.

3. Clear end to the event. This can be hidden if it is a scavenger hunt, but for those who get to the end it is somewhat obvious the hunt is over.

4. If it is a competitive event, it is not winner takes all.

5. Players cannot mess with the event; unless it takes place in PvP space.

The game has done a few scavenger type events, and the only one that didn't have issues was the second part of the Great White hunt over a year ago. It was clearly announced, all the ships were in place, the end was somewhat obvious (although could be better), and while the first people there got a few extra goodies (bonsai, etc), the main reward was the T5 scrap that pretty much everyone had access to.

The Thoramine hunt wasn't very good because the start was hidden. The vast majority of the player base didn't even know the "event" was on, and it was over and solved soon after beta started by alpha players who had a head start. The reward was winner takes all, and the reward itself has been rampantly real world traded. I'm actually going to laugh when this gets wiped.

The first part of the great white hunt had a well defined start, but not a well defined end. People got to the ship and started going on a wild goose chase for weeks trying to find a decryption key or clue that never existed; we just had to wait for the next part of the event to start. That left a ton of people really annoyed.

The easter egg hunt had an announced start, but it actually started earlier. The fact it was rolled out over time meant that people could visit a location, find nothing, and then someone else the next day could visit the exact same location and find a dev egg. This resulted in a lot of wasted effort, and made the hunt feel more like a lottery. Many people did not take part because of this. To make things worse, players could leave fake eggs or clues, and by modifying an egg already in place there was no way to tell.

Edited by Nayropux

some kind of challenges where we could go into a VR pod and compete to complete challenges for time giving more rewards for completing the challenge in a certain amount of time. PVP arena on challenges where there is no chance to lose a ship, but where we could hone skills without fear of losing all elements. A bunch of new challenges in VR pod would be nice to give people access from anywhere or a certain area in space specifically designed for PvP competitions and rewards for advancing. Thunderdome, but something where anyone can complete for fun and have bragging rights, but have different events that could be once a week or once a month where the best of the smaller competitions compete for bigger prizes. At this point it's hard for people in game to compete when there aren't enough people and it's not well advertised unless you know where to look. Anything more would be nice honestly though.

Arver had a good point though giving us items in game to create a more practical way of creating our own events mike make it so it's more community driven.

Spontaneous Missions based on a Player Event (AI Events).  (Maybe someone completed an Aphelia Mission through the PvP Zone, or maybe a big fight just took place with a specific variable, etc.) 

Example:   A War just took place in the PvP Zone where, (X) number of people died.  An AI Mission appears in the Special Missions Tab where a ship/station is available for the taking!  That ships coordinates can only be found by using a DSAT Scanner with 3 Waypoints vs. 5 (like Asteroids)  

This mission would be open to the Public, and is available for the taking regardless of who shows up, or when - so it would be time-based (2 hours?).   [This concept mission will create additional PvP]  The Final Waypoint of this mission doesn't necessarilly have to be in the middle of the PvP Event that caused this Mission; it could be randomized too.   The ship that is spawned by the AI would be 100% RNG;  S, M, or L Dynamic Core, it might even be a Space Core with Medium Container full of Titanium Ore or something.  

Either way you look at it, this would be a Server Event based on an event similiar to a World Boss Server Announcement.   It gives the server depth, spontaneous interaction between players, and exploration with a reward! 

9 minutes ago, Belorion said:

We need more PVP events.

What kind of PvP events would you like to see most? Against the Devs? Other players? Dare I mention roleplaying PvP? :) One time or ongoing? 

• A few years ago, my favorite book author posted a simple picture of his base in a different open sandbox game with huge random-gen world. The contest was about using the information in that picture to find the base. Information such as mountains, rivers, trees.. etc. The contest was very fun while using the map and terrain features, to search and to survive in the zombie wasteland. It was a challenge!

• Another idea is to have a pre-built construct hidden in the Helios System. Hidden information would be through out the system that provided clues on the location of this construct. Once the player finds the construct it would be a challenge to navigate through the construct (building, maze, tomb..). The prize could be anything, perhaps and exotic element or exclusive element skin that can only be found in this quest?

• For finding constructs out in space, like the "unknown origin" can we have more ships to find? Perhaps player built ships they submit for use in this feature?

• And finally something I just though about.... How about an asteroid crashes onto one planet somewhere in the system. (doesn't have to have an actual crash, could be a simple spawn) That asteroid happens to be a Tier 4 or 5 rich asteroid. This could be rare and can encourage players to explore the planets for some old fashioned mining, or surface mining. 

Of course I like treasure hunts, many games offer it and it is incredibly fun! Except in DualUniverse, it's boring and sobering. There are no real "treasures". There are no achievements for treasures, no treasures worth finding or interconnected to collect all of one type of treasure to end up making interesting items that you can not only connect in the achievement system, but also with title "The Treasurer" or you can then use the items for your house, as furnishings or design items for display. "I've found a whole porcelain set and excavated it in many places in deserts...or found ancient wine and wine casks in ruins in the basement, ancient sculptures of past cultures...seriously DualUniverse would have such gigantic potential - it just doesn't seem to be used!". It is this searching, finding, collecting, completing sets, then displaying found objects that can provide great pleasure and employment. Have you ever looked at "Archaeology" in World of Warcraft or collecting and exploring in archeage....?

I myself do not like rigid events, but would prefer it if you build such content firmly into the game, so that the players can occupy themselves with it when they want, when they have time and desire and not only "in this one week" from - to, at the event.

You can design a game and build in more and more content that serves the voluntary occupation. Please do not make it a duty with time constraints. Give us a better and more exciting achievement system, with titles, pets, mounts and lots of housing elements for decoration. A lot of players are collectors, the time you could spend on it if you implement it well is limitless and you can always expand it with new collections.

8 minutes ago, NQ-Nyota said:

What kind of PvP events would you like to see most? Against the Devs? Other players? Dare I mention roleplaying PvP? :) One time or ongoing? 

In general, there must be more reasons for people to fly out into the PVP zone, simply so that there is more destruction in this game and the market is stimulated. So something like a spontaneous fight for an object in the PVP zone, which is worth fighting for(Ship with Schematics,Plasma,T5 as Cargo?). The important thing is that it spawns randomly, both with place and time. So a large group cannot prepare for that and gives smaller groups a chance to get something.

edit: and an Ongoing Mechanic, a bit like capture the flag. hold the ship for 30 minutes-1h and its you.rs

Edited by Belorion

We could organize a day every year where all the safe zones disappear.

We will call this day "the purge".

The event will be named "Dual Universe Nightmare".

--------------------------------------------------

Event 1:

- Spawn asteroids (like those of Thades without resources on them) a few kilometers from each other, in an area of several dozen SU. At least a good million asteroids.
Organize a treasure hunt in this area, loot box cores will be visible on the radar, but be careful, flying in a straight line directly on them could cause you to explode on an asteroid. This will be an event that highlights piloting skills.
You can also open part of the area to PvP, with better quality rewards.

--------------------------------------------------

Event 2:

Same as event 1, but this time it will be in a totally pulverized planet. There will be plenty of debris to avoid and also an atmosphere. The playing area will be smaller, but with the speed limit in the atmosphere it should keep the game very interesting. Always a piloting event to avoid collisions with debris.

------------------------------------------

Event 3:

Themed combat, with ship limiting and balancing.

NQ spawns in an area of space several thousand SUs a facility where players have access to inexpensive small size XS or S combat ships.
It will be balanced ships to fight against each other in terms of amount of engines, weapons, voxel.

We can also imagine an NQ objective to destroy with these small ships: a station or a large L core (or even an NQ XL ship?)

Create a new planet that is far away (like 10000 SU) from all the others and put sparse resources on it.

Let players teleport one way to this planet where the process will make sure they only have their talents and no other items.

Have some loot littered around the planet in caves, or abandoned outposts.

Some of it could be very high value exotics.

Have an artifact that is very heavy that must be brought back.

The goal will be to get back to civilization with the artifact.

You would have to build a spaceship from scratch, any elements that needed schematics would have to be found on planet.

Give a time limit for getting back. If you are not back in that time then everything you have collected up to that point will be lost and you will be teleported back.

Any events must:

• Be accessible to full participation by anyone in any time zone (the PvP event was useless to me, happening in the middle of the night);
  • As a result, be available over a reasonable span of time (week+), not 2 hours, non-repeatable (PvP event);
  • Will offer rewards to all players with no monopoly by those who complete it first (see thoramine "event" which was terrible). That is, rewards are by completion, not by speed.

25 minutes ago, Tordan said:

Scavenger Hunts, with solid puzzle clues. With rewards at the end of various segments.

Do you mean a Scavenger hunt that would be ongoing? For example, a scavenger hunt that you get a prize for completing, but in order to proceed to the next phase (which isn't immediate), you have to have the "key" from the previous puzzle? 

(Or is that too mean?) :)

Im suggest add some PVE Boots/Aliens that would appear in some location like:

-Exotic Asteroids

-Alien cores when someone keeps it too long 

-Core with schematic/Ore/elements gurad by Aliens

-Alien structure/invasion for big event once per week

-Just random in PVP zone

That would Bring some refresh to shooting and give new players more opportunity to gain skills how to fight.

And for old players who already know how to kill it simply give more thing to do no just sit in one location waiting for opportunity to catch someone who dont want fight.

Im belive that would bring what we need for the moment in PVP/PVE and alive community and add simply purpose to go in to PVP zone with intention to destroy.