Is there HOTAS support yet?

Xntryk1

If not, is there going to be?  I really enjoy the creative aspects of this game, but I haven't played in almost a year even though I have 2 accounts with full beta passes. The reasons are 1: NO HOTAS support... it's a flying and space travel game with combat. you need this support. I have the same problem in Empyrion and the result is going to be the same,... me not playing that  (or this) game.  Is there something about voxel based games that prohibits  HOTAS/HOSAS functionality?  

and 2: super grindy ( i can get over that if the flying/flight model is good)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hey Xntryk1, DU does not directly support HOTAS right now but players have successfully worked around that with a combination of HOTAS mapping software and/or a little lua scripting. Strategies for this vary but the easiest method is to just map your HOTAS's axis controls to the position of the mouse cursor and then right click the control element on your construct, go to Advanced -> Change Control Scheme -> Keyboard + Mouse (Virtual Joystick). You may need to tune the sensitivity a bit depending on the ship you are using. Extra buttons can also be mapped to standard keyboard inputs so you can deploy landing gear, etc, as per DU's standard control scheme. Full HOTAS support may come along eventually (no guarantee at the moment) but this has worked fairly well as an interim solution.

As for the grindy nature, some amount of grind is to be expected but if there is something you find particularly appalling then I recommend you make a thread outlining your concern and how you think it can be improved.

Hope that helps. Feel free to send me a forum DM or contact me on Discord (msoul#5494) if you need a hand setting up your controller.

To answer your question, Dual Universe does have Joystick and Hotas support in the true sense of the word.

Nevertheless, their integration in the gameplay, especially the piloting, requires some adjustments, additions and changes.

This is something we want to integrate but it will probably only be integrated post-release.

1 hour ago, NQ-Ligo said:

in the true sense of the word.

Well, actually ..

That is only true if what is very clevery worded here is "we use DirectX input so we effectively have HOTAS support" ;) 

And then it basically just means you have the hooks available (because we use DirectX as input methods) but nothing to use them yet.

4 hours ago, NQ-Ligo said:

To answer your question, Dual Universe does have Joystick and Hotas support in the true sense of the word.

Nevertheless, their integration in the gameplay, especially the piloting, requires some adjustments, additions and changes.

This is something we want to integrate but it will probably only be integrated post-release.

In that case i think you mean DU has the modules to use HOTAS anda stick but it is not implemented yet.

Meaning in the true sense, DU does not support HOTAS and Sticks.

never thye less good to see more NQ posting lately

Edited by Kurosawa

To be more concrete, you can already link the axis inputs on different bindings in the game, like the look for example.

But for the whole piloting gameplay, which needs joystick/hots support, we have to implement it properly on different levels, additional settings and C++/lua integration.

My bad if my answer was not clear.