MERCURY (0.30) UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

2 hours ago, P4rty_Boy said:

To be honest, spending 88.8M points should not happen. Why ask NQ staff to spend time on an API intended to spend efficently 88M points that will never be used again in the released game? I'd rather have them put time on tools we will use every day and part of the game. Remember we are still in a beta. Just my 2 cents here.

Because this might be a feature in itself later (like in Eve). Respec your char once a year or so. 

Even if this will never be a thing, basic stuff in the UI ist still missing, like way better sorting, having a way to plan the skills, button for training a category of skills to lvl X and so on. DU isnt the first game with this Kind of system and ppl could've learned from other games 

1 hour ago, Lethys said:
1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Because this might be a feature in itself later (like in Eve). Respec your char once a year or so. 

Even if this will never be a thing, basic stuff in the UI ist still missing, like way better sorting, having a way to plan the skills, button for training a category of skills to lvl X and so on. DU isnt the first game with this Kind of system and ppl could've learned from other games 

Well fair enough, but the point I want to bring is: Each feature you push/ask for is something else being pushed later on or dropped. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

At this stage of the game, I would rather have them work on stuff that is part of the normal game loop, and which could be impoved, rather than stuff thay maybe, will serve again one day. Here is a forum, a channel from the plyers to them, the developers. If you ask them to work on something that will not be used or maybe never be reused, and they listen to you, well we are losing something else that could be fixed instead. Let's try to be a team here & help the dev find our where their time spent working on the game will result in the biggest bang for the buck. And as a player, I did my talent selection, and I don't see the point on improving that interface, until next time they plan a talent reset - which should be, hopefully, never.

2 minutes ago, P4rty_Boy said:

Here is a forum, a channel from the plyers to them, the developers. If you ask them to work on something that will not be used or maybe never be reused, and they listen to you, well we are losing something else that could be fixed instead. Let's try to be a team here & help the dev find our where their time spent working on the game will result in the biggest bang for the buck. And as a player, I did my talent selection, and I don't see the point on improving that interface, until next time they plan a talent reset - which should be, hopefully, never.

You're obviously a bit new around here....this idea that the devs will read feedback and then act on it is certainly well-intentioned, but this simply isn't something that NQ does. 

There's 6 years of history, here, where NQ rarely interacts with feedback (never mind acting on it).

This isn't a complaint about them not "doing what players say", it's just a statement of fact that almost all communication is one-way...so the chance that they'll read this idea and consider implementing it is basically zero. 

IMO, the UI/UX in this game needs some major overhauls in general. It still looks like the UI was improvised by the dev team -- UI/UX is important because it helps players learn the game and presents the game as being professional instead of looking like it was thrown together in a basement. 

1 hour ago, P4rty_Boy said:

Well fair enough, but the point I want to bring is: Each feature you push/ask for is something else being pushed later on or dropped. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

At this stage of the game, I would rather have them work on stuff that is part of the normal game loop, and which could be impoved, rather than stuff thay maybe, will serve again one day. Here is a forum, a channel from the plyers to them, the developers. If you ask them to work on something that will not be used or maybe never be reused, and they listen to you, well we are losing something else that could be fixed instead. Let's try to be a team here & help the dev find our where their time spent working on the game will result in the biggest bang for the buck. And as a player, I did my talent selection, and I don't see the point on improving that interface, until next time they plan a talent reset - which should be, hopefully, never.

Dont worry. They never listen, so everything is fine for release

On 6/29/2022 at 12:04 AM, Taelessael said:

The space delivery challenge still can't be completed, the game does not register that the items to be delivered are in the container you need to deliver them to.
image.thumb.png.26c4957ebc86166a0c4635a806eb44d5.png

I had this same problem with the air delivery mission prior to the update. I wanted to report it, but it was actually faster and simpler to redo the mission. For me, the bug isn't persistent. It happened when I switched vehicles. 

I've only done the space mission once. I opted to just use my jetpack the whole time. That worked out. 

So got back in to have a look, my initial observations

• Global illumination seems off.. why is my trajectory indicator illuminating the ground?
  • Lights now seem to reflect far behind objects, not hindered by voxels or elements that should block the light
  • Illumination from lights appear to mostly depend on whether a light is on screen, not whether it should illuminate anything
  • Why am I seeing so many shallow water puddles everywhere when flying over but there is no actual water there at all
  • I like the darkness the game has now. Nights should be dark. Lighting should be more effective illuminating though, that still seems a problem
  • Overall, the overly clear water I do not like.
  • I notice many elements keep redrawing, textures are blurry and seem off.
  • Draw distance is still horrible for things like landing gear and doors
  • I get a talent reset may be needed but once we get to 80M+ talent points, some management options to be able to better respec would be nice, if not needed..
  • On a beefy system like mine (5800X3D/3080 with 1440p screen /64GB 3600 memory and PCIe4 NVME drive) I'd really expect better performance and distance when drawing ground detail.
  • FPS is still not great. This is not a FPS so I get we're not going to see 60FPS or better but as it is we are generally way below that and often below 30 even.

Overall, not sure if the game will be able to meet expectations as "release ready" which I believe is going to happen (I hope with a wipe) in the next few months.

NQ will need to seriously step up to give the game a chance to survive. The possibility of that happening is still there but NQ is what will determine if it does. As I see it, all resources and time should be geared towards making the current game the best it can be and not focus on what happens post release. If the game can't hit levels which are to be expected from a release game, the chance NQ may have to continue development would be diminished.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, P4rty_Boy said:

Info for those who are switching Lua....

getElementIndustryInfoById() returns information, including a state, which can be interpreted like this:

1= STATUS_STOPPED

2=STATUS_RUNNING

3=STATUS_MISSING_INPUT

4=STATUS_OUTPUT_FULL

5=STATUS_NO_OUTPUT

6=STATUS_PENDING

Sometimes industries goes into Server error, and I did not encountered that state yet.

Also note that getSchematic() returns a table with tier & id, instead of the equiavlent JSON of level & name

You can trigger the unknown server error by starting a machine without the output container, letting it run, and finish, then add a container.

The information from system.getSchematic does not return product information when called with a schematicId returned from core.getElementIndustryInfoById when the industry element was a transfer unit.

Switched from using "tick(timerId)" to "onTimer(tag)" and now DU crashes (randomly) when executing "setTimer(tag, period)". Several crash reports have been sent. Just letting folks here know.

3 hours ago, Mncdk1 said:

"Global Illumination"... Look how dark everything is, with this many lamps.

This is ridiculous.

8onLi7F.png

Yeah, lol, it is even worse than before, it's like GI is not working at all, and nothing like what they showed in their image of that room with those cube shapes etc. I showed how this is worse in one short video.

Not like I am playing anyway, but just wanted to see if they have finally managed to fix the lights after so many years.