MERCURY (0.30) UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Hello there. I'll try be civil about this, as civil as possible, but understand I'm infuriated.

You perfected lumi-voxel in the PTS, absolute chef's kiss, but I come onto the update today and it's been ruined once again by that super jarring lighting multiplier effect. Lighting was finally quite consistent and positionally consistent in the PTS, now it isn't. It is, quite frankly, a mess.

For those reading this thinking: "I need lumi voxel for cheap lighting", let me tell you, they added a very simple thing in the PTS and now in live to be the solution, HDR for lights.
You can now increase brightness of lights by more than 100%, and it makes a huge difference at no FPS cost compared to normal brightness lights. Example of just one L light set to max brightness.

Maybe you don't understand the issue, I don't blame you if you weren't in the PTS, let me show you an extreme but common example: (Courtesy of Zer0Krypt)

In this video, you see him standing right underneath the lumi-voxel, then he stands off from it and the whole room becomes dark. What should have happened is nothing, he should have seen zero light change, as in, there should have been no light no matter where he stood, or very little. Not this extremely lit to absolute darkness nonsense.

Please, I beg you NQ, fix this horrible effect by removing it. You removed it for the PTS, time to remove it forever.

Edited by EasternGamer
Explained a bit better at the end what I meant by "zero light change".

@EasternGamerEasternGamerI kinda like the effect of lum voxel giving light to everything around depending on how close you stand from them. They also give a good effect at further distances to themselves. 

Been using these two effects in my builds. One is to highlight key things. For instance I have some pillars infront of my base that I put lum voxels on. Really highlights them for avoidance when I am heading in.  I also use them on fence poles at head level, creates a nice effect when your going through a large base. And finally I put a small flat less than 1 voxel size at the head position of every seat. Really helps on lighting up the ground when I am piloting a ship.

If you want lights to actually light up surrounding, then use actual lights. And even with those many of them give specific  light waves. Just gotta use the right light for what effect your looking for.

52 minutes ago, RugesV said:

I also use them on fence poles at head level, creates a nice effect when your going through a large base.
And finally I put a small flat less than 1 voxel size at the head position of every seat. Really helps on lighting up the ground when I am piloting a ship.

I utterly distain such effects. I'm not sure how to describe this seething hate for utterly disgusting effects like this.

Additionally, if you wanted to have terrible lighting, as you clearly seem to want, lower your settings to the lowest possible for shadows, then you'll have exactly what you're looking for. Please leave everyone else that wants a consistent lighting experience when they're moving through their ship out of it.

HECK! NQ, just make the bloody thing a setting in the settings menu, if you like disgusting lighting effects, then have that option there. If you want to be civil about the title "Ambient Lumination"

This is how lumi voxel should be, a bit bright, but it doesn't hold a candle to actual lights. Not some lighting multiplier.
unknown.png

In the above picture, there are zero light elements, and it was plenty bright. All NQ needed to do was ensure that it was consistent with distance. It appears that in the PTS update, they either limited it or had a distance limiter making stuff look bad for longer corridors.

In the end, you had people who had some advanced form of Stockholm syndrome with the terrible perception that multiplying lighting was a great idea.

For those wondering what I mean by Stockholm syndrome, it's basically where you come to phycological dependance your captive, to put it basically. The captive here is the poor lighting effect that persisted for ages, and now people have become attached to it. Now, when a new player sees this, I can't say for sure, but man, I doubt a new player will look at this and say "working as intended!"

(Repost of Zer0Krypt's video for emphasis on my last statement) As in, when a new player sees this, they will definitely say "working as intended!" (This is sarcasm) 

Once again, as predicted in the PTS feedback thread, NQ launches the update no matter how buggy it is. One of their flagship new features is still [filtered]ed.

GI off

zsKkClu.jpg

GI on

EeBQqig.jpg

The ground is lit up far in the background. Come on, this was reported right away on PTS.

6YlApEl.png

The glass furnaces are lighting up the ground for 500+ meters. Just to the left of those transfer units, you may see a tiny construct in the distance. That's a hair over 500 meters away.

W1PbL4I.jpg

Ground lit up again

And after walking forward a bit

https://i.imgur.com/S9pm5J2.png

This feature is ready for live servers? Has this received _any_ testing before or after PTS?

Same shit, different patch.

43 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

Ultimately, NQ can make *everyone* happy by adding it as a setting. If people want to have the effect, it's their choice.

As someone that design ships, I would say I would rather they get it right. Cause I want my lighting to look right for everyone not just x% of people.

4 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

Hello there. I'll try be civil about this, as civil as possible, but understand I'm infuriated.

You perfected lumi-voxel in the PTS, absolute chef's kiss, but I come onto the update today and it's been ruined once again by that super jarring lighting multiplier effect. Lighting was finally quite consistent and positionally consistent in the PTS, now it isn't. It is, quite frankly, a mess.

For those reading this thinking: "I need lumi voxel for cheap lighting", let me tell you, they added a very simple thing in the PTS and now in live to be the solution, HDR for lights.
You can now increase brightness of lights by more than 100%, and it makes a huge difference at no FPS cost compared to normal brightness lights. Example of just one L light set to max brightness.

Maybe you don't understand the issue, I don't blame you if you weren't in the PTS, let me show you an extreme but common example: (Courtesy of Zer0Krypt)

In this video, you see him standing right underneath the lumi-voxel, then he stands off from it and the whole room becomes dark. What should have happened is nothing, he should have seen zero light change, as in, there should have been no light no matter where he stood, or very little. Not this extremely lit to absolute darkness nonsense.

Please, I beg you NQ, fix this horrible effect by removing it. You removed it for the PTS, time to remove it forever.

Here's a better look at the ceiling where the lumi-voxels reside. Recessed in a channel of matte black plastic..

lumi.jpg

Nice update. A lot of great changes. PvP desync seems to have been fixed. I did a brief test today with a friend and saw zero problems. Hopefully it holds up in large scale fights. If NQ has actually completely solved the problem, then PvP is going to be so much more fun for me. Thanks NQ.

Build box grid hiding is the cherry on top.

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

Job well done. The bug fixes and performance improvements are greatly appreciated. Honestly that alone would have made for a good update but you managed to include some new features too. I do hope you take a little time off to celebrate a bit, especially considering the upcoming 2 year anniversary. Maybe order some cake, just remember to share it with the server hamsters.

I just logged in to the new update and all my talents have been cleared and I am getting an RSI injury to my fingers and wrist having to re-add every single talent one by one from scratch with over 80 000 000 talent points to distribute.

Please give us a much quicker way to re-add our talent points when you reset them?

4 hours ago, Celestis said:

I just logged in to the new update and all my talents have been cleared and I am getting an RSI injury to my fingers and wrist having to re-add every single talent one by one from scratch with over 80 000 000 talent points to distribute.

Please give us a much quicker way to re-add our talent points when you reset them?

Personally I have no intention on playing as i dont know when or if they plan to wipe. Not going to play if they wipe in a week or 2 kinda deal.

So my plan i to just set +300day of training an leave the +80mill xp in the bank

21 hours ago, Celestis said:

During PTS, several of us made this point

A few basic management options for talents, very low cost to put in, big impact in QoL

Obviously NQ was not interested in hearing us and could not be bothered to even acknowledge this

Game is ready for release though..

I wish we had a way out of this downward spiral, I don't envy the coders... It must be depressing to have a look at the forums. I mean sure it won't help the game to cut out the feedback, but the endless stream of negativity must weigh one down... Then there is the heat and presumably some crunch on the horizon. We tend to treat NQ like a monolith but I am grateful to the individuals working there trying to make this game a reality. I'll try to login by the end of the week,  it's not easy to login regularly and care atm, but did finish a big sideproject yesterday so it got a little easier...

Courage les gars et merci.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:04 PM, Lethys said:

when will NQ finally adress the VERY useless UI for talents? you need to click 4 billion times to spend all your 88,8 million SP. that's ridiculous. And it's been that way since alpha 1. 

GL and HF spending those folks, I certainly won't

To be honest, spending 88.8M points should not happen. Why ask NQ staff to spend time on an API intended to spend efficently 88M points that will never be used again in the released game? I'd rather have them put time on tools we will use every day and part of the game. Remember we are still in a beta. Just my 2 cents here.

@NQ-WandererHey there! I'm in the middle of my Lua overhaul to work with Mercury. So far so good. Thanks for switching to tables instead of JSON, it makes my code way cleaner. The API additions, the slots for the player, and so on are great additions, thank you!

I do have questions about the container updateContent() call, if you could clarify. The doc says, 1 call every 30 seconds.

Is it; 1 call every 30 seconds, per container? If that's the case, that would mean that I would be allowed to update instantly, 10 differents containers on a single programming board. If that's not the case, connecting a programming board to 10 differents containers would require 5 minutes to know the content of all of them.

Is it; 1 call every 30 seconds, per programming board, which means that I can have 10 containers, with 10 programming boards, and then I can see the content right away? 

Is it; 1 call every 30 seconds for each player? If I start a programming board looking into a container, and a friend start the same programming board 5 seconds later, will he be able to see the content of the container?

Is it; 1 call every 30 seconds per construct?

Thanks in advance!

Info for those who are switching Lua....

getElementIndustryInfoById() returns information, including a state, which can be interpreted like this:

1= STATUS_STOPPED

2=STATUS_RUNNING

3=STATUS_MISSING_INPUT

4=STATUS_OUTPUT_FULL

5=STATUS_NO_OUTPUT

6=STATUS_PENDING

Sometimes industries goes into Server error, and I did not encountered that state yet.

Also note that getSchematic() returns a table with tier & id, instead of the equiavlent JSON of level & name