DEVBLOG: MERCURY ART IMPROVEMENTS - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

The core explosion is cute and all, but I feel you guys should make the effect so large that it can be seen from far, far away - up to 2su. It would be cool if you could see someone's core explode after you kill them in pvp. As it is, no one is going to see that effect - not the aggressor, and of course not the person who got destroyed.

If NQ wants to really improve the visuals of a battle, you guys need to render all weapon effects for everyone on the battlefield. It would make things so much cooler and interactive if we could see crisscrossing lasers and railguns everywhere.

I'm looking forward to the SSGI/SSAO. Ship interiors have long been too dark, even with many lights placed. Hopefully it works as advertised in those infographics. It didn't seem to do much on the PTS.

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

36 minutes ago, Sawafa said:

+1 for core explosion visibility to very very far distnace (like, 500+ su). It would be awesome if you could see the explosion of the ship near Madis while flying near Alioth.

This. So much this.  

Having a different explosion for the core is cool an all, but the explosions not doing any damage made it all look silly, and nobody is going to see any of those explosions unless you add a kill-cam to let the previous occupants of the now dead ship watch it blow before they respawn.

As for seeing explosions from battle-fields you aren't on, that would get annoying really fast once someone decided to just dump a bunch of cores and start popping them.

The explosion effect is completely pointless and frankly, looks terrible, why is NQ trying to make a core blowing up look like Alderaan going boom but use a my first Sony verion of the effect to do it? It just make sthe game look unrealistic and cheap like most other very basic and unimaginative popcornFX uses all over the place.. It all ooks plastic and fake.

The global illumination effect has been extensively reported as being very ineffective and looking rather off. Has this been reworked to be more acurate or is it just what we had in PTS despite the many, many provided examples of how it's doing all sorts of strange things.

And as expected, wIth this devblog today, Mercury wil lnow be pushed tomorrow. With most of the reported issues stil lin place no doubt..

Let's see.. what has been improved from PTS or that PTS was just opened to allow Lua changes to be made.

But as I called it.. the "mid summer" planning was a freudian slip aas that was not for Mercury at all.. it will be for "release" and wipe ..

39 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Let's see.. what has been improved from PTS or that PTS was just opened to allow Lua changes to be made.

But as I called it.. the "mid summer" planning was a freudian slip aas that was not for Mercury at all.. it will be for "release" and wipe ..

If only NQ could tell us the release schedule, I'd be content with logging in and actually playing again.

21 minutes ago, space_man said:

If only NQ could tell us the release schedule, I'd be content with logging in and actually playing again.

Since I am certain they have a hard date for "release", they could.

But obviously they choose not to.

Improved graphics are good, but not urgent, in my opinion.

Two problems need to be resolved before release: 

1. Elements destruction, including static cores,  to fix economics.

2. Territorial wars. I don't mean atmo pvp or any pvp. I mean tile capture.

The answer to all the "we need this feature at release" statements is something like:

0.01% chance we will get any substantial feature beside what is already announced at release.

0.001% chance we will get some kind of territory war at release.

0.00001% chance we will get planet based PvP/territory war at release.

Because after 2+ years of almost no fundamental changes/improvements to the game at all, NQ is now apparently very, very busy fixing bugs, removing functionality and adding superficial improvements for the release date.

5 hours ago, SvarogZ said:

Fundamental changes:

1. Asteroids.

2. Schematics.

3. Planetary mining.

Schematics are already on the delete list again. Whether or not...we will see.
The MiningUnits came as a replacement for real mining, because it is simply easier and cheaper for NQ.
Asteroids and their problems were a minimum to have a reason to fly somewhere through space, whereas it is uninteresting and not worthwhile anymore because of the MiningUnits. (Effort and return)

The game is literally about to be released and that's all you got in the years? That is an indictment! I'm honestly shocked in what state the game is and it really should be released soon.

Schematics could be a great gameplay addition to the game. But implementing that properly would be hard for NQ as it woudl involve designing several things to all work towards a specific goal.. (see EVE)

So they will probbaly just opt to remove them again.

Feedback for NQ:

Positive: Hey the screenshots look nice, if/when they function like this live, it will be a nice visual improvement for the game.

Negative: You added particle effects for explosions, and they look bad, it really doesn't deserve to be highlighted like a major feature.
                 Better lighting will not make the game more fun or bring the community back to DU.

Summary: Stop ignoring us, and offering things that aren't focal to game enjoyment. Not once have I said if the lighting in my ship was better would pvp be more fun.

@Mncdk1

These issue were reported during PTS, of course. But it's all working as intended apparently as NQ not once provided any comments or clarifications during the weekend. And how could they as they knew they would be pushing this patch this week,  so they knew whatever major came out of PTS woudl not get addressed anyway.

NQ is on an iron clad schedule with a locked in date for release with no room to maneuver I am sure..

Indeed @CptLoRes

However sad it maybe, but the path NQ has been on is not exactly new to many of us and the place they are at currently was pretty much predicted early on as we saw the first signs of it. It's quite interesting as well that we see some who strongly opposed our comments and position at the time have pretty much come to see we were not wrong then and are not wrong now. And interestingly, many of those have just given up and left by now.

Frankly I can see a path where NQ still get around to pulling this one out of the fire but the biggest obstacle to that happening is NQ themselves at this point. They are so set in their ways and believe in their own excuses to a point where the excuses become fact to them, even when they're clearly not. And it's not the NQ people we see around here, I am pretty sure they do what they can and want to see this game do well as much as us, but it's the people we do not see all that frequently who drive this company culture and mantra.