Ask Aphelia Episode #6 - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

I'll say this: with 'future plans' up for discussion all the time its hard to commit to this game. Many of the things we like to build take months of effort, and suddenly NQ decides to rewrite a major pillar of the game and its all invalidated. MegaFactories - invalidated. MegaNodes/Mining - invalidated. HTML Lua - invalidated. All your beta builds - wiped and invalided *soon. We should be at a point we you are 'tweaking things' for balance and adding on features. Now you're telling me you 'might think about removing safe zones' in the future. At the end of Episode 6, about removing safe zones. If you don't even know if they will be viable, why should I build there? Wipe goes through, I start having fun building my space station, and six months down the road you decide to put me in PvP space, and my work is invalidated. What's next? Removing markets 'because too many people go there' or something? I really want to play this game but it feels like a waste when it all ends up being for not after you guys remove stuff. You'll have to settle at some point and have a plan because this wishy washy 'I don't know what we're making' isn't really attractive long-term.

Edit: it was always the plan to remove the outer planet safe zones but not the inner zone. Just say that.

Entropy please fix your mic. It has a tendency to cut out the quiter parts of your speech.

Q1: It's crazy that this question doesn't prompt, at the very least, a comment along the lines of "maybe we should make X more clear". If players are leaving the FTUE with the question "Now what?" then the FTUE is a failure.

Q2: It get that it's annoying when people come poking again and again, but cooldowns isn't the answer.

Q3: A multiple solar system universe doesn't need to be a continuous universe imo. A system like EVE's, where each solar system is connected by some "instant" fast-travel mechanism could work. And I don't see any reason why it should be costly. Traveling from Alioth to "Alioth 2" could be as simple as flying up to some Aphelia installation orbiting at 1 SU above Alioth (for instance), and then getting shot through interstellar space.

1 minute ago, PsychoSlaughter said:

I'll say this: with 'future plans' up for discussion all the time its hard to commit to this game. Many of the things we like to build take months of effort, and suddenly NQ decides to rewrite a major pillar of the game and its all invalidated. MegaFactories - invalidated. MegaNodes/Mining - invalidated. HTML Lua - invalidated. All your beta builds - wiped and invalided *soon. We should be at a point we you are 'tweaking things' for balance and adding on features. Now you're telling me you 'might think about removing safe zones' in the future. At the end of Episode 6, about removing safe zones. If you don't even know if they will be viable, why should I build there? Wipe goes through, I start having fun building my space station, and six months down the road you decide to put me in PvP space, and my work is invalidated. What's next? Removing markets 'because too many people go there' or something? I really want to play this game but it feels like a waste when it all ends up being for not after you guys remove stuff. You'll have to settle at some point and have a plan because this wishy washy 'I don't know what we're making' isn't really attractive long-term.

Erm - safe zones around planets (outside of the central safe zone) were always intended as temporary ... so this response seems a leap too far.

(Yes I know that everything outside of Sanctuary(+Haven) was intended to be a non-safe zone originally, but that will not change now.)

1 minute ago, Distinct Mint said:

Erm - safe zones around planets (outside of the central safe zone) were always intended as temporary ... so this response seems a leap too far.

(Yes I know that everything outside of Sanctuary(+Haven) was intended to be a non-safe zone originally, but that will not change now.)

Yup, realized that after I typed it and clarified my post. The main point is that there's no roadmap, no plans, its just 'whatever we'll figure it out' and boom big change comes. And that aspect keeps ruining the play for me at least. Need to know what I'm getting into.

What would I do after the FTUE
Wrong question, the correct questions is “what do you want to do”
Driving the "follow the 'things to do' list " is the wrong approach for a sandbox MMO and NQ driving it just tells me they really do not understand the concept.

Cooldown for sieges
The answer is just one more "doing EVE half-baked" situation

Hoe does a new Solar system change the single shard design
Silly question which gets a very forced answer which in the end is just "it does not"

Exploring the space market
Question feels not real/fictional/fabricated and just there to spin towards promoting the exchange

Safezones
Pnce again, a "questionable" question with a fluffy answer which simply should be "nothing until TW comes"

Runtime of the video 7:15 - ish
Actual effective use of that time.. probably less than 10%

2 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

Second star system is confirmed as feasible (despite many people here claiming otherwise) - so new system for new start players; old players have the option to remain in Helios with all of their stuff - NO WIPE CONFIRMED (unless you want one)!

I've watched the video twice and I must have missed where they confirmed No Wipe because I didn't hear that anywhere in the video.

If you can let me know the point in the video that it's mentioned, that would be good, thanks.

47 minutes ago, Celestis said:

I've watched the video twice and I must have missed where they confirmed No Wipe because I didn't hear that anywhere in the video.

If you can let me know the point in the video that it's mentioned, that would be good, thanks.

he's just trolling nothing is mentioned about wipe yet. Which is one of the main things ppl want an answer on atm.
As long as we keep skills and BP's a wipe wont be too bad. if they reset skills or just full wipe.... yea that will probably be bad. I dont see a reason for a full wipe because I dont see many new players coming in anyway, the people that were in beta will be the majority of players and so its still pretty fair and level start really imo.

8 hours ago, Sagacious said:

he's just trolling nothing is mentioned about wipe yet. Which is one of the main things ppl want an answer on atm.
As long as we keep skills and BP's a wipe wont be too bad. if they reset skills or just full wipe.... yea that will probably be bad. I dont see a reason for a full wipe because I dont see many new players coming in anyway, the people that were in beta will be the majority of players and so its still pretty fair and level start really imo.

Too strong a response - I was not trolling. Previously many people (including those in this thread) have dismissed the "second star system" launch/wipe option as not technically (or financially) feasible without major effort from NQ, and thereby removing it from contention as a launch/wipe option. (This option allows for simultaneously wipe and no wipe depending on what each individual player prefers, and so is a strong option for this reason. There are down sides as well, ofc.) This Ask Aphelia response by NQ was therefore very informative (again despite claims by some in this thread) in making it clear that this is actually a viable option for launch.

(Yes my "no wipe confirmed" statement was obviously me having fun, and a joke. But the rest of the message was on point.)

I see no reason why a second star system would not be technically feasible outside of maybe the way to travel between them. I would indeed question NQ's ability to pay for such expansion as well as the risk it holds around spreading the player base too thin.

I really do not see NQ add anything substantial to the game for release and they pretty much have said as much anyway. NQ being in the position I expect they are in will need to show substantial new subscribing player numbers coming in and staying to even be able to continue development past release. And they will have enough of a challenge scaling back up on their server infra to accommodate that.

There is a healthy 5 figure player count with months (and in a good few cases many..) long free access to the game post release. That alone will drive up cost and the new subscribing players will need to pay for that as well. I'm not even sure NQ has the awareness of this and is preparing for it.

2 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

Too strong a response - I was not trolling. Previously many people (including those in this thread) have dismissed the "second star system" launch/wipe option as not technically (or financially) feasible without major effort from NQ, and thereby removing it from contention as a launch/wipe option. (This option allows for simultaneously wipe and no wipe depending on what each individual player prefers, and so is a strong option for this reason. There are down sides as well, ofc.) This Ask Aphelia response by NQ was therefore very informative (again despite claims by some in this thread) in making it clear that this is actually a viable option for launch.

Ohh you sweet summer child. If you managed to come to that conclusions based on what what NQ said in ep6, then you have a long and disappointing journey ahead my friend.

And if by some miracle NQ manage to surprises us at launch with some unannounced features upgrades, I will be more then happy to eat some humble pie.

But it would also be the first time EVER in the 6 year long history of NQ, that they managed to surprise us by being productive and deliver something ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Ohh you sweet summer child. If you managed to come to that conclusions based on what what NQ said in ep6, then you have a long and disappointing journey ahead my friend.

Concluding that this (2 star system launch strategy) is what NQ will do is of course a stretch. Recognising that NQ have now confirmed that it is technically/financially a viable option, however, is perfectly derivable from the "podcast".

Though I am always happy to think of summer 🙂

My previous feedback in this thread seems to have disappeared, must have been a bug.

- A second star system will probably have the same negative impact as a second server, further diluting the lack of active players.
- Question #1 about new player advice, honestly shows a problem, which is lack of motivated gameplay past FTUE. NQ's response shows they don't get it.
- New buildings don't/won't fix the lack of fun factor in Dual Universe.
- Allowing us to move/restore sanctuary tiles closer to each other would allow the community to build it's own more impressive show case. 
- The "question" about new buildings in the market response feels way more shameless plug/promo then actually anything we care about with a wipe incoming.

Edited by Rokkur