A menacing Dreadnought patroling the space between planets

Walter

I grind ore fuel and elements for the sole reason to be able to PVP in Dual Universe.

Sadly due activity is being low these days there is no one to fight on an Asteroid or an Alien core. 

- I suggest for NQ to make a Dreadnought that patrols the pipes and fires at anything that comes close to it 2 su with maybe 8 seats of firepower and 90 mil of ccs. When dead in the containers to find random advance rare and exotic shematics. 

-If a large org wants to abuse this by sending more ships the Dreadnought spawns more dangerous drones equivalent to the numbers of ships present with in 2 su.

The Dreadnought spawns at random times and goes for an example from Jago pvp border to Sanctuary moon PvP border and despawns

Archeage had a similar gameplay with the Kraken that spawned on certain times I borrow this idea from there.

NPCs to shoot at? YES!

Couple of changes I'd make to your idea:

• It does not de-spawn, have it collect parts from destroyed ships that are effectively added to its loot pool
  • Ensure that said NPCs also roam some parts of safe space, so PVE-only players/orgs can get their feet wet - and also lose ships in a manner they don't feel so bad about.

39 minutes ago, Stratio5 said:

NPCs to shoot at? YES!

Couple of changes I'd make to your idea:

• It does not de-spawn, have it collect parts from destroyed ships that are effectively added to its loot pool
  • Ensure that said NPCs also roam some parts of safe space, so PVE-only players/orgs can get their feet wet - and also lose ships in a manner they don't feel so bad about.

I like your first idea but second idea does not work because you are not able to shot in sz

1 hour ago, Walter said:

I like your first idea but second idea does not work because you are not able to shot in sz

<sarcasm>The dreadnought's name is "Legion", it was implemented a while ago.</sarcasm>

Jokes aside, the neither of your ides work because the game runs primarily client-side, someone would need to be on the ship for it to have any physics. Players have been asking for NPC targets to shoot at about since NQ gave us weapons to shoot.

No mistakes, its cool and I want it, and npc opponents in pve and pvp space would probably vastly improve things and draw a significant number of players, but they can't work with how NQ currently has things set up.

2 hours ago, Taelessael said:

<sarcasm>The dreadnought's name is "Legion", it was implemented a while ago.</sarcasm>

Jokes aside, the neither of your ides work because the game runs primarily client-side, someone would need to be on the ship for it to have any physics. Players have been asking for NPC targets to shoot at about since NQ gave us weapons to shoot.

No mistakes, its cool and I want it, and npc opponents in pve and pvp space would probably vastly improve things and draw a significant number of players, but they can't work with how NQ currently has things set up.

Once NQ made a stress test with plenty of bots these can be the pilots and gunners and NQ needs to script a flight path and create some sort of turret that autofires why is this not feasible?

39 minutes ago, Zer0Krypt said:

NQ has been pretty clear their stance of NPCs.

Lack of content is the players problem. Not NQ's problem. Clearly you must be doing something wrong.

I have built already what I wanted to build until next PvP meta change. Alien cores are secured by our Aliance keep getting Plasma and t5 ores each week. Have a few bases on them factories running that I feed with ores I get from Mu's that's Endgame. And that there is nothing or no one to shot just makes this endgame to anyone that want to pew pew unattractive. And that is a NQ problem

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Once NQ made a stress test with plenty of bots these can be the pilots and gunners and NQ needs to script a flight path and create some sort of turret that autofires why is this not feasible?

While I am by no means an expert on how these systems work, and I can't guarantee even that what I've seen was good info, the few images I've seen when referencing their stress tests make me suspect that NQ's "stress-test bots" probably weren't all that complex by most folk's standards. If I had to guess they were either mimicking commands (one person presses w, a hundred avatars walk forward), or running exceptionally simple loops of commands/actions. I'd be surprised if they were even as complex as the SPRT scripts Keen uses for Space Engineers.

I could very easily be wrong, and I'd even like to be in this instance, I want NQ to add some pve ships to get in to a shootout with (they could make it a mission, or spawn them near asteroids), but with how things run now I seriously doubt it can happen short of some fairly significant changes to how things work.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

I have built already what I wanted to build until next PvP meta change. Alien cores are secured by our Aliance keep getting Plasma and t5 ores each week. Have a few bases on them factories running that I feed with ores I get from Mu's that's Endgame. And that there is nothing or no one to shot just makes this endgame to anyone that want to pew pew unattractive. And that is a NQ problem

As for Legion having nobody to fight, that seems like a "universe is too safe and small" problem. EVE in its prime had quite a few star-systems that would barely see more than traffic passing through, it took time to jump through all those systems if you needed to get somewhere. At the same time it wasn't at all safe, if you didn't have a cloak your opponents could scan you down no matter what part of the infinite void you were hiding in.

Meanwhile in DU you can warp from near about anywhere to near about anywhere faster than you can get food delivered irl, all while being absolutely safe. And if you don't feel like warping, you get 12+ SU clear of the pipe and you may as well have a cloaking device.

Legion controls all the best resources, their supply lines can't be seriously attacked, the available force-projection lets them put everything they have in to any fight near about at the drop of a hat, and the only option anyone has is functionally to try a frontal assault. Much like when a group dominates in any other persistent-universe game, nobody is going to put up much of a fight against Legion right now because they very rightly don't think they can win. 

So, enjoy the quiet at the top. Until NQ gives us something bigger than this kiddie-pool of a solar-system, something so big Legion can't maintain control of it all, the only decent battles you're going to get will be out of each other.

6 hours ago, Taelessael said:

I could very easily be wrong, and I'd even like to be in this instance, I want NQ to add some pve ships to get in to a shootout with (they could make it a mission, or spawn them near asteroids), but with how things run now I seriously doubt it can happen short of some fairly significant changes to how things work.

If they can implement something like NPC craft I know it won't be quick. 

6 hours ago, Taelessael said:

Legion controls all the best resources, their supply lines can't be seriously attacked, the available force-projection lets them put everything they have in to any fight near about at the drop of a hat, and the only option anyone has is functionally to try a frontal assault. Much like when a group dominates in any other persistent-universe game, nobody is going to put up much of a fight against Legion right now because they very rightly don't think they can win. 

So, enjoy the quiet at the top. Until NQ gives us something bigger than this kiddie-pool of a solar-system, something so big Legion can't maintain control of it all, the only decent battles you're going to get will be out of each other.

At gamma fight the adversaries of Legion were so close to winning then came the radar bug and PvP in DU lost momentum since then. If other groups would organize and work together a few cores could be taken from Legion. 

10 hours ago, Taelessael said:

You're 100% spot on. Either the universe needs to be majorly expanded, or warp drives need to be seriously nerfed (if not removed entirely). Something like a warp drive can only be used to warp once every 6 hours. This puts all boarded characters and the construct itself in a warp lock for 6 hours. Keeping warp range limited to 500su will begin to create regions in the universe where a player cannot instantly show up within minutes of a "targets on grid" event on the other side of the universe. Ion to Lacobus for example. A fleet maintaining control of the Ion region cannot immediately warp to an engagement occurring in the Lacobus region. A fleet movement like this would take at minimum 5-6 hours to either slowboat or wait out a warp lock cooldown.

3 hours ago, Walter said:

At gamma fight the adversaries of Legion were so close to winning then came the radar bug and PvP in DU lost momentum since then. If other groups would organize and work together a few cores could be taken from Legion. 

The force organized by Corrino at gamma was no where near winning. We had far more loss in both assets and player deaths than Legion by a long shot. Did we take down the base shield and destroy the alien core? Yes for about 20 seconds, while it was repeatedly re-claimed by your forces and then destroyed again by single shots of incoming fire. Was this a win? Not even close. Our losses were catastrophic, especially for the core Corrino group who organized the event. The entirety of our accumulated wealth was put into that event, and all lost in 3 hours. Accumulated wealth from before the mission hauling nerf. A level of wealth that would take months to regain now after the mission nerf. Lets imagine we had won, somehow. We would have held a single alien core, for 24-48 hours, before it was taken back, as we have no way of holding even a single alien core against the entirety of Legion (even if we hadn't lost all our ships). So even if we had "won" the alien core.....we would have "won" at an immense net loss....for what?... a few piddley hours worth of plasma that we may or may not even get back to safe zone? So did we come close to winning...........ABSOLUTELY NOT.  But hey, you got billions in assets added to your warchests and we all even got a few hours of great fun......all for the extremely low cost of a handful more of your pvp adversaries who no longer play the game since that day. Heck, NQ even said they'd be there to gather data when we told them of our plans for gamma, but as it turns out, they couldn't be bothered to actually show up and collect data. But its ok! They posted a few days later telling us to "keep up the PVP" as it helps them out. /s

Heck, we cant even try and make your job of holding all alien cores difficult by putting your alien cores in repeated lockdown. NQ wouldn't want it to be too hard for one group to hold the entirety of the end game resources under its control. /s

If Legion really wants more PVP content, start asking NQ for game changes that remove you as the sole king of the hill. Advocate for changes that make many kings of many hills. Ask NQ to bring changes that make it exponentially harder to defend alien cores with each additional alien core you hold. Ask NQ to remove the warp drive, or make the universe bigger in some meaningful way that creates room for groups to establish their presence and grow and become contenders in region based warfare. Heck, you don't even need NQ to make changes. Split up and create your own PVP content if you want it that much.

Legion is by far the largest player voice for PVP, especially now with the rapidly decline in adversaries that even want to engage with you.  Hope you use that voice to help bring changes that create a healthy PVP game, not just a healthy Legion. Cuz at it's current rate, Legion will be the only ones out there cuz the rest of us have moved on.

On an unrelated note, any announcement of the wipe decision while i've not been playing DU? No? Of course not, because NQ isn't certain of their release date. Who knows for what reason, could be difficulty in getting Kickstarter rewards out the door, or it could be some other unknown reason. Regardless, NQ will NOT tell us their decision on the wipe until their release date has been solidified and is close at hand (even if a final wipe decision has already been made internally). NQ knows their final decision on wipe will kill off the remaining player base that still logs in until release. They cannot afford to tell their paying subs of their wipe decision and risk losing those subs....so....Mark my words, the final wipe announcement will not come until the announcement of the official release date.

Meanwhile in DU you can warp from near about anywhere to near about anywhere faster than you can get food delivered irl, all while being absolutely safe. And if you don't feel like warping, you get 12+ SU clear of the pipe and you may as well have a cloaking device.

100% agree

I will add that NQ didn't even go to the effort of forcing people to use firearms to break and loot the wrecks for exemple.

This could have been a first step before asking for NPCs, destroy stationary and harmless targets is a good first user weapon experience.

But even this NQ doesn't want to do it. So NPCs should not be dreamed of.

7 minutes ago, Zer0Krypt said:

Legion is by far the largest player voice for PVP, especially now with the rapidly decline in adversaries that even want to engage with you.  Hope you use that voice to help bring changes that create a healthy PVP game, not just a healthy Legion. Cuz at it's current rate, Legion will be the only ones out there cuz the rest of us have moved on.

Just NQ don't care and don't listen to anything.

Legion or not Legion.

I could have written a big salty message but I'll just say that it's been months and months that we've been waiting for nothing but balances that consist of nothing more than changing data values.

And we have nothing.

6 hours ago, Zer0Krypt said:

If Legion really wants more PVP content, start asking NQ for game changes that remove you as the sole king of the hill. Advocate for changes that make many kings of many hills. Ask NQ to bring changes that make it exponentially harder to defend alien cores with each additional alien core you hold. Ask NQ to remove the warp drive, or make the universe bigger in some meaningful way that creates room for groups to establish their presence and grow and become contenders in region based warfare. Heck, you don't even need NQ to make changes. Split up and create your own PVP content if you want it that much.

From your narration, I understand that our Opposition did not even consider building a real fleet with spare ships so when someone is shot down he spawns at the nearest spot and grabs the next ship, and goes back into battle.

Well if the Situation for the adversaries of Legion is so bad in an economic term then I understand why everyone else gave up. 
But even your suggestions in nerfing warp would not make a difference in our commitment to defend our cores. The point is that the PvP problem will not be solved until there is a huge population increase. Even after a Wipe at release, the situation does not change unless there join big alliances from other games.

And even then it's not the same as a group of players grinding for a nice city base or fancy PvE ships in the opposite of an Alliance that is battle tested and is just grinding for PvP dominance.

I find your arguments in the case of the Opposition to Legion intruiging and that deserves its own thread.

This is about that DU gets some sorts of pew pew. 

7 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

100% agree

I will add that NQ didn't even go to the effort of forcing people to use firearms to break and loot the wrecks for exemple.

This could have been a first step before asking for NPCs, destroy stationary and harmless targets is a good first user weapon experience.

But even this NQ doesn't want to do it. So NPCs should not be dreamed of.

Yes people need to get experience somhow 

9 hours ago, Walter said:

But even your suggestions in nerfing warp would not make a difference in our commitment to defend our cores. 

I'd suspect zero's suggested nerf would be a little heavy-handed, as a 6-hr cooldown would just annoy all the pve players that enjoy warping between planets instead of slow-boating for hours on end, not that I've got a better option short of NQ both adding some manner of interdiction like they once said they were thinking about, and somehow forcing warp-choke-points to prevent easily avoiding interdiction.

That said, the goal of whatever eventually gets done wouldn't be to break Legion's will to defend, it would be to limit the force-multiplication that results from warp. Legion is big enough right now that nobody can take its whole fleet, and because of warp it can put its whole fleet on any site it needs to defend functionally at the drop of a hat. Sure, Goonswarm could theoretically just decide to roll in from EVE and overrun everything, but then we'd be right back to the exact same issue against them. But I suppose I've gotten off topic now.

PvE combat against NPCs would be cool, and I want it, and I want all the players such content would draw to join DU. Unfortunately I don't think the game is even remotely capable of doing that right now without major changes, so it probably wont happen for a very long time, if ever.

I'd suspect zero's suggested nerf would be a little heavy-handed, as a 6-hr cooldown would just annoy all the pve players that enjoy warping between planets instead of slow-boating for hours on end, not that I've got a better option short of NQ both adding some manner of interdiction like they once said they were thinking about, and somehow forcing warp-choke-points to prevent easily avoiding interdiction.

That said, the goal of whatever eventually gets done wouldn't be to break Legion's will to defend, it would be to limit the force-multiplication that results from warp. Legion is big enough right now that nobody can take its whole fleet, and because of warp it can put its whole fleet on any site it needs to defend functionally at the drop of a hat. Sure, Goonswarm could theoretically just decide to roll in from EVE and overrun everything, but then we'd be right back to the exact same issue against them. But I suppose I've gotten off topic now.

PvE combat against NPCs would be cool, and I want it, and I want all the players such content would draw to join DU. Unfortunately I don't think the game is even remotely capable of doing that right now without major changes, so it probably wont happen for a very long time, if ever.

Instead of a game, I searched for a salt farm that is sadly not to be had. We came close to it at Beta at one point. DU is full of safe spaces now and with warp you can skip 5 hours flight in an instant. Legion is able to project a large fleet due to warp and there is no other group that can put these numbers. Not to forget that other groups are broke and mission will remain nerfed for long.