Linking/unlinking causes lag spike

Mncdk1

Linking or unlinking a machine to output container has started causing lag spikes for me.

It feels like the entire construct needs to recalculate all of the links, except now it doesn't just happen when selecting the link tool, now it happens every time I link/unlink something in my factory.

• 1 month later...

I also get the "incompatible link type" error when linking industry units, even though the link is successful. That does not appear related to the lag though, because it has happened on a brand new core where there is less lag.

This is what we mean when we say that NQ hasn't designed for scale with any of its core mechanics...they're still changing how linking works this late into development? 

It goes far beyond industry being "impossible" to scale and therefore the game needing limits that they know aren't fun...basic concepts in the game weren't designed to be scalable and still aren't release-ready. 

Everything in DU has been (or will be) developed multiple times at this point because their first iterations aren't tested or scalable and linking is just another example. 

There's a reason that games still "go gold" even without having to burn CDs...even a tiny change can destroy servers at scale. The more tiny changes they try to push in before release, the less stable the game will be...especially with so few people testing it today. 

17 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

scalable

The game scales.
I'm tired of everyone saying that the game isn't scalable, like that phrase actually means what they are saying. There is always going to be a hard wall somewhere. Right now the soft wall  seems to be the amount of server resources that can be maintained over the long hall with the current cash flow, so they conserve. and then we occasionally get a higher load then they can handle. I don't have any idea how well the game would perform if they had twice as many server resources allocated.

I hope that constant predictions of doom and gloom from the peanut galaxy doesn't discourage new and returning players once the game releases. I very much want the game to succeed.

1 minute ago, Tordan said:

I'm tired of everyone saying that the game isn't scalable, like that phrase actually means what they are saying

It wasn't designed to scale, and that's evidenced by endless refactors since 0.23 or before. From mining to PvP to building to LUA to schematics...everything has been tweaked because the original design wasn't scalable. They've said as much...that their changes are driven almost completely by cost. 

If you're doing refactors to scale the game in the months before release, that's not a working design. That's not scalable. 

I do know very well what working at scale means...if you're sure that I'm misunderstanding the definition of scale, please do define it rather than just implying that no one else knows what they're talking about.

10 minutes ago, Tordan said:

Right now the soft wall  seems to be the amount of server resources that can be maintained over the long hall with the current cash flow, so they conserve. and then we occasionally get a higher load then they can handle. I don't have any idea how well the game would perform if they had twice as many server resources allocated.

Scale is a lot more involved than just "server resources" being limited due to cost...that's only the hardware aspect, which matters very little if the software isn't designed to scale, which clearly it hasn't been (by their own repeated admissions and refactors). 

If you're suggesting they merely need to throw more hardware at the problem, I think you might be misunderstanding what "designing for scale" actually means. It certainly isn't just limited to the raw amount of hardware resources...that's only one facet of designing for scale, and arguably the least important facet. 

You are correct. It doesn't automatically scale to the infinite, and there have definitely been some underestimations of just how much stuff players can dig, and build. and how resources are allocated and priorities are still not completely ironed out, but there has been some serious progress made from the days when you couldn't mine at all because 19 out of 20 server requests were failing. I just believe that right now we are not seeing the entire picture at our end. I suspect that they are throttling the available resources, both to save cash and to test bottlenecks and that some of what we see is the result of that.