Please fix memory leak

Mncdk1

It was mentioned on an Ask Aphelia episode, that you guys haven't received a ton of requests to lower the memory usage of DU.

Let me put forth this request. Please fix the memory leak.

When I play the game for long enough, my game will crash. It's not a matter of "if", but rather "is the game open for long enough".

Obviously I don't see this issue anymore, since I don't have long play-sessions these days . For obvious reasons, which NQ caused. We're still waiting.

• 1 month later...

For me, I have each time I start a series of 3to 6 full game crashes, after which I then can play the game for a longer time. Eventually, maybe after some hours of gameplay, the repeated crashes return. This is, when I restart the computer before playing and do not use Mozilla Firefox Nightly (MFN) until I ended to play.

If however I do not restart, and MFN was running or is still running, then the game crashes more than 20 times at the begin, before I can play. And play time is short, as the crashes soon return again, and again in big numbers. So frustrating, that I often give up playing (that was before I found out that a restart and avoiding the web browser helps).

These game crashes seems to be happening when loading new environmental (geographical) data, like when my game avatar enters a differently looking region of a planet, or when the sky changes.

Other programs running at the same time do not seem to cause game crashes, interestingly.

This situation with the many many many game crashes started only after one of the last four patches/updates, I never before had that. I must have sent in more than half a thousand "Bugsplat" game crash reports already. NQ is aware of that, and based on a GM, they identified the cause but fixing it is the difficult part.

They better do, as if the game is sold as full version and more people encounter this problem, it will certainly give a very bad reputation. And DU needs everything else than that. It deserves better.

Edited by Hirnsausen

11 hours ago, Hirnsausen said:

For me, I have each time I start a series of 3to 6 full game crashes, after which I then can play the game for a longer time. Eventually, maybe after some hours of gameplay, the repeated crashes return. This is, when I restart the computer before playing and do not use Mozilla Firefox Nightly (MFN) until I ended to play.

If however I do not restart, and MFN was running or is still running, then the game crashes more than 20 times at the begin, before I can play. And play time is short, as the crashes soon return again, and again in big numbers. So frustrating, that I often give up playing (that was before I found out that a restart and avoiding the web browser helps).

These game crashes seems to be happening when loading new environmental (geographical) data, like when my game avatar enters a differently looking region of a planet, or when the sky changes.

Other programs running at the same time do not seem to cause game crashes, interestingly.

This situation with the many many many game crashes started only after one of the last four patches/updates, I never before had that. I must have sent in more than half a thousand "Bugsplat" game crash reports already. NQ is aware of that, and based on a GM, they identified the cause but fixing it is the difficult part.

They better do, as if the game is sold as full version and more people encounter this problem, it will certainly give a very bad reputation. And DU needs everything else than that. It deserves better.

Turn off DLSS.

DLSS is broken for some players, and causes constant crashses.

Edited by Mncdk1

My RAM used to spike to near 100% usage and then crash, but ever since I increased the page file size to 1.0 - 1.5x physical RAM size, I haven't had that happen. That was a long time ago though so I'm not sure if it's the same issue.

8 hours ago, Msoul said:

It has actually been awhile since I experienced a memory related crash so I suspect the devs have already plugged the majority of leaks. Do keep in mind that the minimum system requirements for DU currently state you need 8 GBs of RAM and 3GBs of VRAM but as with most things, more is always better.

Yeah I was using 64 GB when I wrote OP, but I have not seen memory related crashes for a little bit.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:06 AM, Hirnsausen said:

But how to turn it off, if it is not even turned on? Maybe, however, I should do the opposite and turn it on, o see if this makes the game crashing less.

My bad, I assumed it was DLSS related, because what you described is what the game does for me when I use DLSS.