Planetary Mining Changes

Palis Airuta

The infinite pool of ore on a tile currently stifles gameplay and prevents new player progression.

Here are some suggestions that has the goal of separating two gameplay loops; strategic base (industry, shipbuilding, orgs etc) and short term mining leases.

Change the current pools to a 6 month finite amount of ore per pool before random regeneration. 

This will keep the scanning game loop going and provide a chance for new players no matter when they start.
Still keep the L/h gameplay and calibration if desired
Keep the adjacency system if its easier but the above mechanic would move away from the idea that a cluster of mining leases are a valuable asset to fight over. 
It has been shown during the great purge that the most valuable resources to commandeer are the assets on a strategic base (elements, ships, industry). 

This, along with other changes of restricting high tier ores on planets would keep the conflict level for high tier gameplay, continue the scanning loop and provide a progression for new players

I'd rather see the entire ore system be revamped such that you can get good at prospecting and mining, not just wait for a timer to count down, rinse and repeat until you get lucky. Let us build mining rigs that requires actual *player* skill and understanding of the system, not just a talent that needs to be trained. Add some randomness/variation into it so that there's no silver bullet to min/max without some thought and work. Utilize the building system that is in game and expand on that.

A tile/area doesn't have to be equal to all players, depending on how you do your prospecting you might not find all things available in the tile, bit someone who does it at a later time and does it differently will, or maybe find different things. Let tiles change hands more often; limit the amount of ore available, like in the old days of mega nodes, but let tiles regenerate/reset such that there is always a possibility that a tile might yield something.

I know this is asking for a lot, but we need more treasure hunts and game play that is engaging and rewards the time spent playing the game.

Edited by Yoarii
typo

18 hours ago, Palis Airuta said:

Change the current pools to a 6 month finite amount of ore per pool before random regeneration. 

6 months would probably be too long, 3 or 4 at most would be better. That said, auto-miners are supposed to be a source of basic-income for the players that aren't on but a few hours a week so as to supply them with fuel and building materials. As such, I'd think it would be best if the t1/t2 ores didn't change so that the casuals get what they need where they like to play while everyone that wants to go out scanning has something to scan after every so often.

14 hours ago, Yoarii said:

I'd rather see the entire ore system be revamped such that you can get good at prospecting and mining, not just wait for a timer to count down, rinse and repeat until you get lucky. Let us build mining rigs that requires actual *player* skill and understanding of the system, not just a talent that needs to be trained. Add some randomness/variation into it so that there's no silver bullet to min/max without some thought and work. Utilize the building system that is in game and expand on that.

A tile/area doesn't have to be equal to all players, depending on how you do your prospecting you might not find all things available in the tile, bit someone who does it at a later time and does it differently will, or maybe find different things. Let tiles change hands more often; limit the amount of ore available, like in the old days of mega nodes, but let tiles regenerate/reset such that there is always a possibility that a tile might yield something.

I know this is asking for a lot, but we need more treasure hunts and game play that is engaging and rewards the time spent playing the game.

While I fully agree that the mining-side of the game needs more engaging and involved play, I'd think it would be better to apply it to asteroids than hexes. Auto-mining hexes is supposed to be what new players and casuals do for some basic cash, while asteroids are supposed to be for more involved/advanced players to work their way to. The asteroid system as it is now is painfully simple, and somehow manages to be even more boring than old-school mining was while simultaneously giving an even smaller reward. If we are to have a more advanced and involved system of mining with better payout, it should be in space where the more advanced miners play.