Decorative Items: Non-Destructible

Resource

If NQ made decorative items non-destructible ship builders would be more likely to use them to decorate their ships and make them look great. Builders and players avoid decorations because they do not like having to repair dozens (or more) of items all over the ship. Removing destruction from decorative items would negate the need for dynamic properties to be stored on many of the elements considered decorative.

I am proposing this because of the overwhelming support I have received from everyone I've talked to about this.

I'd have to disagree with you about their current usage, but it would be nice to not have to repair them in the event of a crash. 

That said they couldn't be invulnerable in a pvp scenario, so they'd probably have to just get deleted by weapons-impacts the same way voxel does if we toss their current hp-behavior.

Every  item you put on a ship adds adds weight, adds cross section, must be repaired when damaged. Unless it serves a purpose there is no reason to have one on your ship other than looks. 

You could go as far as removing  the repair cost,  removing all the weight not having it add cross section.  Which would not seem right for DU. 

But these are all negative things. So why dont we give them bonuses.  They dont need to be huge bonuses. Not to the point where people feel they have to have them on their ships.  For instance placing down a metal beam might increase element HP of nearby items maybe by a set amount or maybe by a percentage. Maybe that bonsai plant reduces weight of nearby items.  or what ever part reuces cross section. Or having the decorative radar increases the usuable radars range. Or having a bed increasing weapons damage. Maybe having a toilet increases explosive damage of your ship. 

There are hundreds of different stats to effect. Give players fun instead of taking it away. 

Ohh and rework repairing ships so the repair are actually economically feasible. 

Just like voxels, remove the enviromental damage (aka pve damage) from them. It is just silly that I have to try to keep the amount of non-flight elements down, to keep stuff repairable.

Any chairs, cables, pipes, windows, canopy, flowers, lights, telemeter.. you get the idea, should be treated like voxel.

And while they are at it, rethink the cost of pipes and canopy. If they were to wipe, some recipes really need to be looked at again and a wipe would be the perfect opportunity. (this is not meant as a pro wipe argument or discussion starter, just saying if they were to wipe anyway)

18 hours ago, RugesV said:

Every  item you put on a ship adds adds weight, adds cross section, must be repaired when damaged. Unless it serves a purpose there is no reason to have one on your ship other than looks. 

You could go as far as removing  the repair cost,  removing all the weight not having it add cross section.  Which would not seem right for DU. 

But these are all negative things. So why dont we give them bonuses.  They dont need to be huge bonuses. Not to the point where people feel they have to have them on their ships.  For instance placing down a metal beam might increase element HP of nearby items maybe by a set amount or maybe by a percentage. Maybe that bonsai plant reduces weight of nearby items.  or what ever part reuces cross section. Or having the decorative radar increases the usuable radars range. Or having a bed increasing weapons damage. Maybe having a toilet increases explosive damage of your ship. 

There are hundreds of different stats to effect. Give players fun instead of taking it away. 

Ohh and rework repairing ships so the repair are actually economically feasible. 

I agree with this rather than removing the destruction. 

Additionally voxel was mentioned a few times. No imo it's actually stupid voxel is uneffected by the impact damage spheres. 

What NQ should do is make voxel become vaunable to impact damage formulas and make it act just like weapons fire.

With this you could give PVE builders a taste of building with voxel damages in mind. 

Currently when a ship impacts an object a formula is run to determine the damage. A damage sphere originating from the point of impact expands until it eats the HP of elements determined from the formula.

If Voxel played a role PVE builders would have more use of higher tier voxel because it could be made to have more impact resistance and HP to absorb that impact damage sphere.

Additionally landing gears have their roles. If an impact damage sphere starts at a landing gear the damage formula currently gets a reducer and you don't get near as much damage. 

When will we see higher tier landing gears with bigger impact cushioning properties? 

@Gottchar If you have examples to give already, could I encourage you to create a new thread in Ideas Box on what recipes you feel need a balancing review?
As always, I cannot make any promises to anything raised, except for that it will be passed onto the team for consideration.

These are some really interesting ideas, and raises an interesting point regarding the decorative elements. Keep the ideas flowing!

18 hours ago, Endstar said:

Seems like the pain and lack of fun around a ship repair is root here.

If we could get a repair unit that did what the players want it would help with this as well. 

I'm 100% with Endstar here.

Repair unit's need to WORK.

load them up with scrap aim them at a construct, come back in X min everything is repaired. Yes I know it will cost more scrap this way but that is a worthy tradeoff.
I also try and keep my element count lean, I would use far more logic elements and sensors etc if I didn't have to spend 90 min digging them all out of walls and repairing them all if i hit atmo just a wee bit too fast.

4 hours ago, Kanamechan said:

Currently there are not enought destruction of elements in the game and you want even less that now.

Rework repair unit to use scrap and to repair items is enough

I doubt the lack of desctruction of XS and S elements like lights, screens, cables and plants is a heavy burden on the economy. It is however the reason why many leave their ships empty, on purpose.

I think this is a nice room on the pic. Hydroponics bay on the right, a door in the floor you can not see with supplies. Behind that is small kitchen corner. Conference table on the left, behind that the engineers stations. Cockpit in the distance with many screens for various things, cables connecting the screens with the programming bords to the radars etc outside. And so much light. All that deco costs less than a single L engine, was fun to place, and I will never take that ship to do some hauling, just because of the tiny risk of needing to repair it all for 30 minutes. And higher scrap makes no difference for many small items.

image.thumb.png.defdf57a6ed6f6a4a77abb168cb32acc.png