What Social Features Are Missing in DU?

Rokkur

Wanted to talk about some of the missing ways that would help build community interaction if the game draws attention at launch.

1. Better Chat System
2. Player Mailbox for Offline Messages
3. Event/Location Search Directory for player based community locations/events.

What are your thoughts?

Speaking to the “better chat system:”

A unified chat window with different colour codes for each sub-chat would be nice. For example, green for org chat(with org name in brackets), white for general, blue for admins, and orange for help. The only chats that may need a separate tab are LUA and combat. These two chats could be pop-out windows so the unified chat is still visible.

Other social systems I’d like to see implemented:

-Planetary governance

-Regional governance

-Hailing systems with VOIP

-Regional VOIP with the option to turn it off

-Fleet VOIP

-Org headquarters location in the org UI

-Player markets that are integrated into the market search

-In-game LUA repositories accessible through a UI. 
-A LUA market in-game that functions similarly to the current market system.

-Activity indicators when searching to join an org. If all members of an org are inactive for weeks then it should be hidden in the org application interface.

-An official alliance system which orgs can join.

Edited by Nosomu

As mentioned better/proper chat system, VoIP and a mail system are the bare minimum requirements that should have been addressed a long time ago. Especially the chat system we have now is doing more harm then good.

There is also some missed opportunities here, if the communications has some LUA functionality so that it could be made a more integral part of actual game play. Like for example running a basic chat-bot that did certain tasks for org members, creating in-game voting, shop "ai" for selling etc.

Since they chained themselves to discord anyway, and discord is very web based...Look I'm not a discord fan but I have an account now in large parts due to DU... Seems like a missed opportunity to not have an API that allows you to send out a tooltip prompt when people enter a construct to invite them to the relevant discord. It's the best of both worlds, highly customisable but no random noise spam.

Edit: it's trivial to implement actually if you want to make it really fancy make so that the game can "kick" people in discord... i realize we cant check 3000 times a second if somebody walked a cm out of the doorstep but like... check once every two minutes if they're still in linked container range should be fine, propably more optimised than doing ingame VOIP too...

Smart idea for a thread btw very constructive.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:59 PM, Rokkur said:

Wanted to talk about some of the missing ways that would help build community interaction if the game draws attention at launch.

1. Better Chat System
2. Player Mailbox for Offline Messages
3. Event/Location Search Directory for player based community locations/events.

What are your thoughts?

Better [enter every system here] system.

CHat system is number 1 for me.  For gods sake if i go to chat I cant fly ship.. and it is very clugy to get out of.. I forgot how for the first months..   Tab/close chat... alt im locked in view..   

I chat screen with colors for each chat.. (sizeable chat area, and text)  All should be on one screen..   

a easier way to get stuff into LUA also.. crazy skip from chat to lua, then CNTL-v to put stuff in.. hit enter.. IM CRASHED.. if not carefull.. 

Email-  would be nice but not manditory

VOIP- not needed we have discord

for me i would like to see 100 more elements..  robots,  decor, ..   also simple things like glasses and food..    I want to make an world not just a simulation..

BUT CHAT interface is #1 by far  It sucks

Organizational alliances system

Indeed better chat system and ingame voice chat

an actual reason for building offices, beds, etc so it has a use for larger structures for communities like cities, academies, etc.  For example, building an academy and naming it thus increases tokens from 90 to 100 when on premisses, stuff like that.

Possibilities to learn stuff to people ingame

just the regular stuff, like we dont have the need for bars so make it possible to have music on a location and for example activate general voice chat per location as in everyone on a grid can hear each other when they want too

Possibilities to actual "team/zoom"like meatings think about boxes where the individuals are show and can if they want open cameras

kill the helmets and make characters unique

Give chars something reall to do like farming, growing livestock, fishing, swiming, deepsea diving with indeed added fish, make vacation resorts actual resorts and not sterile planet bored blocks.

so again, actual swimming!!!!!!!!

as DU is named a eve/minecraft clone it is already not to good but what you want to make it social is to incorporate parts of SIMS

So make it possible for chars to marriage, all chars and not man-woman only

Make it possible to party

add alcohol and beverages

add production of these

add food and a reason to actually use it

add bikes or something like that for fun

add reasons to explore and not missions..................

Need more?

every point i added is an open door but when a developer has no community as goal in its mind then this stuff will never happen.

simply, why build a city when there is not a single F to do

6 minutes ago, Vargen said:

I would like to add something to the chat window.

• Change the font size.
  • Move the window.
  • Split tabs in to separate windows.
  • opacity
  • coloring
  • time stamp
  • Much leaner UI in general

On 7/1/2022 at 6:51 AM, Mncdk1 said:

The ability to remote engage with people. If I log on and want to contact someone, they have to already be in my friends list.

Also the ability to fleet up with your buddies.

You can whisper anyone, even when not in your friends list: /w name message

Adding to the wish list:

Ability to turn off notifications for select channels. There's a perpetual "1" in the lower right corner of my screen, triggered by the help channel. To what use?!

Edited by Yoarii

An improved friends list with grouping etc.

And option to disable tracking; that should be opt in! I find it strange that NQ won't let us get a Lua API to get current destination due to privacy issues, but they allow anyone track anyone as long as they are on the friends list!?

At this point I see absolutely no .. ahem… point in making any new suggestions or wish lists. 

it’s just imaginary what ifs and pie in the sky. 

they’ve been given years worth of suggestions in every aspect of the game but are so, so far behind their original vision that it would take a decade just to implement the basics. 

51 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

At this point I see absolutely no .. ahem… point in making any new suggestions or wish lists. 

it’s just imaginary what ifs and pie in the sky. 

they’ve been given years worth of suggestions in every aspect of the game but are so, so far behind their original vision that it would take a decade just to implement the basics. 

It's crazy how DU doesn't even really have the basics that MMOs had 20 years ago for social interaction.  Yes we have discord which is great for people you already know. But tools that help meet people ingame helps so so much.  

A broad system of government is lacking. Starting from small settlements with mayors, to committees representing and administering large cities, to country or planet representatives or presidents of space regions. There elections and citizen concerns, up to possibilities of the elected to vote out, should these abuse their offices.

@Zarcata You are correct, there is nothing ingame to make this possible. something simple like ingame mailing would alredy be a step forward into making this happen. anyform of mass comunication is gone, it also does not always have to be ingame but the community page that frourished before it was killed years agao had the same purpose. 

Nobody likes burocracy but a minimal level is needed to be able to create civilization and social structures.

This brings the discussion back to my point about having social features link with LUA functionality, enabling all sorts of functionality like for example voting and maybe even some of that "emergent gameplay" we are all looking for since it could then be used by players to make quest systems etc.