Ask Aphelia Episode #5 - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

1 hour ago, NQ-Nyota said:

Noveans, Ask Aphelia Episode #5 is now available! Once you've had a listen, please use this thread for feedback and discussion for it. Thanks!

I actually don't mind these ask aphelia logs, especially if they are more frequent, but in the future I would prefer to see more insightful questions about in future of the game instead of questions on design decisions.

Also, are the ask aphelia questions on the google docs form stored after each episode or do they get reset? do I have to resubmit my questions?

Edited by Shaman

21 minutes ago, Shaman said:

I actually don't mind these ask aphelia logs, especially if they are more frequent, but in the future I would prefer to see more insightful questions about in future of the game instead of questions on design decisions.

Also, are the ask aphelia questions on the google docs form stored after each episode or do they get reset? do I have to resubmit my questions?

I'm glad you are enjoying these Q&As we're doing! 

No need to resubmit your question(s), as we do keep them all in our big list of questions. :) The only reason to re-submit if there is additional information you forgot to include the first time you submitted them. 

It would be nice to get a time-frame on when the HQ tiles will start to go unclaimed, it is quite a nuisance trying to pick up half-buried constructs or realizing someone that doesn't play anymore is sitting on a tile you'd like to have.

#1 memory

In a longer game-session, it's not uncommon for my game to straight up crash, because the game takes up ALL my memory. It's only a matter of time. One thing is "the game is using a lot of memory", which yeah sure, could be better, but that's not the same as "the game WILL crash if you play for long enough".

#3 widget wall

@Ligo Gottchars "improved vanilla" flight script adds lua parameter checkboxes to remove the widgets you don't care about. Might make sense to have something like that as standard. Who needs a combat stress widget on (for instance) an atmo-only market hauler, right? See construct "GMSP" owned by "Mnc Org".

I liked the location in the video, although I'm bias.

I hope others will post more great places to visit.

Maybe after touring a few NQ can see what players want in large areas to sell voxels wares. 

7 hours ago, Shaman said:

insightful questions about in future of the game instead of questions on design decisions.

They are either not allowed to talk about future features, or super restricted, anything about the future is always just "We might be thinking about maybe considering it at some point, if people want it." So why even bother about planned features, if that is all you get. I rather hear about the reasoning behind past choices.

1 hour ago, Gottchar said:

They are either not allowed to talk about future features, or super restricted, anything about the future is always just "We might be thinking about maybe considering it at some point, if people want it." So why even bother about planned features, if that is all you get. I rather hear about the reasoning behind past choices.

This 100% you are on point Gottchar, everything is "maybe" and "We can't tell you when", yet NQ is the only ones who can answer our questions.
My frustration with this approach is, why create podcasts with wishywashy answers filled with yes/no/maybe/so... and pretend any solid answer was given.

maybe, and we don't know when are responses, but they are not informative answers that bring stability for the community on how they should manage their expectations moving forward with Dual Universe. The limbo is having major impact on the community not just 1 or 2 players..

Edited by Rokkur

7 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

My main reaction to this blog is that for someone who is "so busy that we must prioritize every feature" there is not much happening with the ACTUAL game.

And I am not talking about just now, but since forever.

I had a boss that was perpetually in a cloud of obscure "busy". He would set on projects for months, months meant for me to do my job. Then get to me in the final week before a due date and assign 2 months of work that needed completed in a week. Then he would get angry when we are two months late delivering the product to the client.

He was also French, and I wonder how much of this is kinda a French centric cultural difference, or approach to working on problems and communication?

Edited by Rokkur

Oh, forgot to point out, after last time we learnt that Entropy doesnt know there are no L wings, this time we learnt NQ was unaware players dont like memory leaks. I wonder what other things they dont do due to lack of player feedback.

Dear NQ,
All the bugs, we would actually rather have them fixed.
The server issues, desynch, ships teleporting back to where they were, we would actually like to have that fixed.
New bugs on the test server that people report, they actually report them because they do not want them to hit the real server.

The game hugging over 30GB of ram if you have them, we would rather have that fixed.

And there is a faint rumor, that some players may even would like to know what is going on with that wipe thing.

Hope that clears it up, now you know.

The community didn't say anything about memory? Are you kidding me? We have had memory (GPU & System) bloat/leaks since I can remember and they are the main things causing crashes and ships falling out the sky... I guess you didn't want reduced support tickets/ Not big enough priority to give "valuable resources".... Just WOW! "Stop, Stop!... It's already dead!" What was funny was the comment at 2:17 in the video.... Most players left because of one reason and that is YOU!

Another fairly weak answer was the one on HQ tiles being released.

NQ knows, or at least should know, that HQ tiles for inactive accounts have effectively been made redundant as the constructs on these tiles are now all abandoned and often removed/"salvaged".

Players will hardly ever choose to keep these constructs intact as they can't access the tile itself which remains locked. If a construct is buried, it can't be removed entirely in many cases anyway, leaving alot of pieces scattered all  over the place and leaving "false" positives for potential targets to scavange by others if the core is buried as well.

I can't imagine NQ doe snot know this and so I can't understand why NQ pretends like they have "plans" to release these tiles as well since they should have done so already OR should have left at least static constructs alone on these tiles.

Hello,

Please continue this video format.

=> A quick return to the Stasis part:
Ok for the game vision to go grab a few ships with your stasis and let the bigger ships come and catch them after.

However ! Please give us the tools to use these weapons!
We need more radar range! Let the players anticipate the fights, know that we are being followed or be able to follow a ship...

We badly need interaction.

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your feedback. As you've seen and heard, we are always trying to improve the Q&A and we will continue to do so. I understand that it's tempting to bring different topics into this discussion thread, but I ask that you please keep it to the topic of the Ask Aphelia episode. I've gone ahead and cleaned up the thread a bit. 

Thanks again for any comments about the Q&A Episode #5. :) And for future episodes too!