DEVBLOG: THE ALIOTH EXCHANGE - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

I'm just sad. What is the point? We need something like DU-Creators but ingame. Not a limited space in an NQ building to visit. There are so many player build shops and showrooms. Make a hub to advert and link them! Not this crappi crap crap thing. 

One step forward, two steps backward. Classic NQ. 

Soon we will talk about NQing something for "good idea, bad execution". 

NQ why are you managing things that we as players could also do, dont waste your time on things like this. Put more efford in balancing and economy problems then in smt that WE as a community could do the same. If you want to give us a place for advertisment give us a pinboard or so as a menu point, where we can post ads, events, org recrutment... (maybe with a price for some quanta a week. 

It doesn't really make a great deal of sense to me to include something like this in the game. Especially as there is such a small number of slots and creating more work for NQ to decide who gets those slots as it appears the process is entirely manual in nature. 

To allow players to be able to advertise themselves and whatever services they offer, how about a map filter or directory system for each planet where you allow players to be able to filter through it based on their requirements such as parts markets, ship shop, fuel refineries, repair services etc that players have set up on their hexes. Currently the only form of advertising you can do for your hex is marking it as being visitors welcome.

So as an example: A player wants a new ship and wants the nearest ship shop. They go to their map or directory for the planet they're on, enters their parameters and up comes the nearest one with a little information as to what's on offer. Location is marked on the map and locked in, player sets off to buy a new ship. Would that not make more sense than just having an exchange area that only a tiny fraction of the player base can actually use.

Second Life had a directory system with filters where you could search by event type, shop, art installation etc to find player driven content that fit your interest. I feel a community search event management system would be much more of a service to the community than the exchange.

I agree with many here that this seems like a poor use of developer resources, when NQ should be focused on tools that connect players vs. being the gatekeeper to featured content.

Imagine if Google tried to curate the web with only 64 featured websites vs. building a search engine, just saying.

Edited by Rokkur

4 hours ago, Rokkur said:

Second Life had a directory system with filters where you could search by event type, shop, art installation etc to find player driven content that fit your interest. I feel a community search event management system would be much more of a service to the community than the exchange.

I think that was what I was thinking about. it's been many years since I played Second Life to remember where my train of thought was heading.

It remembers me on the shops on stations you could lend in the (EVE_O) game i remember, so peoples coudl come by and have a look at your Cooperation - some not only sell store - more a present us better place - am I right ?

The current district buildings are all but irrelevant by now. All they hold are the teleports to other disctricts and the shuttles to Haven and Sancuary.

NQ should reporpose these to house a location where they integrate du-creators.org into the game. They have everything they need to be able tp do this avalaible in game allready. Much less overhead and far wider reach.

You see something you like? You can teleport there from the exchange and bring a blueprint back as opposed to normal VR pods.

As the locations are already in place and the district buildings effectively are where new players enter Alioth (usingt the shuttle), itis a great way to introduce them to this site and offer a ways to use it in an intuitive and simple way without having to leave the game.

The du-creators.org site is also one of many examples that the community is more then willing to create great content for the game, provided they have the tools needed to do so. So imagine if we had tools and creative freedom to make and script missions, mini games and interact with the environment inside the game.