UPDATE: MERCURY (0.30) - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

The exchange makes a certain sort of twisted sense -- because the game isn't going to be performant enough to handle player-run markets.

It's the same strategy as alien cores and asteroids -- NQ spawns the stuff because the game doesn't want to handle players meeting up in anything other than designated zones. 

They know player-build markets would be better...but they probably fear what popular player markets would do to performance.

Just as they know space TW would be better than alien cores...but again, that would mean more player interactions outside NQ's control and therefore more cost. 

These might not be solvable issues to be honest....NQ knows they aren't about to get a million subs on release and their making choices based on cost accordingly.

They are actively avoiding features they know would be popular because they don't want to pay huge infra costs to support them.

IMO....they kind of know that release will bring new players that don't stick around for very long. In that context, they want to lower costs so that some new player that only sticks around for 1-2 months still generates positive ROI, and that means limiting cost as much as possible, as we've seen with the last few updates. 

Feedback for devs:

Why didn't you reset talents when you added mining units, voxel, and shields? There were no fundamental updates this time so are you just testing things for the wipe? What you don't say is just as important as what you do say.

A heads up, that's more than a few days notice is all im asking for.

28 minutes ago, space_man said:

Feedback for devs:

Why didn't you reset talents when you added mining units, voxel, and shields? There were no fundamental updates this time so are you just testing things for the wipe? What you don't say is just as important as what you do say.

A heads up, that's more than a few days notice is all im asking for.

They did refund the mining/dreger talents when MUs were introduced.

18 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

They did refund the mining/dreger talents when MUs were introduced.

No, I recall we had to complain first then they reset some but not all of the talents related to mining (terraforming was only reset via support ticket). And that was after we complained that they didn't reset anything for pvp after nerfing voxels and rebalance. 

They need to wipe or no wipe. That's what I'm complaining about. Nobody knows what's going to happen regarding talents and that's a major point of frustration for the community.

38 minutes ago, space_man said:

No, I recall we had to complain first then they reset some but not all of the talents related to mining (terraforming was only reset via support ticket). And that was after we complained that they didn't reset anything for pvp after nerfing voxels and rebalance. 

They need to wipe or no wipe. That's what I'm complaining about. Nobody knows what's going to happen regarding talents and that's a major point of frustration for the community.

Hm, really? I have 0% Dredger now and I know I had invested points there. You're 100% right about the frustration.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why NQ is charging any monthly fees for an "Alpha" experience. They are getting closer to an actual Beta, but not there just yet. I really wish developers would quit claiming they are in "Beta" when they are still working on core features and making huge sweeping changes. 

Beta means they are "feature complete" and are now in the final processes of ironing out the bugs, doing some balance passes, etc. 

If it's due to a real need to generate revenue then they should be open and honest about it.

I honestly could not in good faith, promote the current state of the game beyond a free 1 month try out of the current Alpha stage the game is actually in. 

As things are now, mile high stringy voxel webs continue to insta-destroy ships, as you do not even see them most of the time, as they either do not render in, or render in just before or right after you hit one. There is NO structural integrity on structures, and thus, no collision damage or breakage. 

Get to "feature complete" status first along with fixing the major game breaking issues that still exist with many being present since day 1 of Alpha, then maybe we can talk about better supporting NQ with monthly subs.