UPDATE: MERCURY (0.30) - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Being a fairly new player  beta TESTER I have yet to try lua scripting myself. I did help my wife with her programming though.

Talent points - After working out how they work - idk

Blueprints  - Have done some basic patterns but without talent points I'll have to start over anyhow - idk

Lua reworking - Since the WIPE kills my Eagle copy with HUD and nice to have things - idk

I have played for 3 weeks (my wife for 3 months)

Starting over doesn't seem to bad.

But 

When is the update?

When is the wipe?

In the words of Fleetwood Mac:

Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
Why don't you ask him what's going wrong?
Why don't you ask him the latest on his throne?

In future, a [EDIT: export current talents option] before resetting talents would be nice. I can't remember everything I have, and last time you did this, I struggled to recreate the same balance of flight skills (effecting my flying) and core cap (effecting number of constructs available.) 

54 minutes ago, Megabosslord said:

In future, a heads-up before resetting talents would be nice - so we can take a snapshot first. I can't remember everything I have, and last time you did this, I struggled to recreate the same balance of flight skills (effecting my flying) and core cap (effecting number of constructs available.) 

The talent reset isnt live yet, or i am wrong? 

Edited by merihimRefin

6 hours ago, Taelessael said:

Wouldn't a wipe make a bazaar useless for at least a few days by deleting everything that anyone would have to sell?

Nah, it will just be a hot dog and lemonade stand for a bit.

6 hours ago, Taelessael said:

Wouldn't a wipe make a bazaar useless for at least a few days by deleting everything that anyone would have to sell?

Depends on how it works?  For a player made bazaar sure, but for an NQ made one it could just become like the current  ship shop after a wipe with magic dispensers which are always full and some of the profit going to the creator.

We will see what it looks like when he article comes out.

Only NQ can claim to be polishing bugs and getting close to a release, and announce a complete rewrite of the LUA API in the same blog. I guess that is what you get when pretending your alpha is a beta.

And for the record, the LUA rewrite is a good thing and is MUCH needed. It's just that is should have been done like 2 years ago when we asked for it during the alpha stage,  where breaking things is ok and supposed to happen.

8 minutes ago, Mncdk1 said:

NQ: What happens to our personal constructs when we no longer have the skills to support them? Is there also a check on them every 14 days? Or are they just abandoned when the skills are gone?

This is actually not the first time we have had talents send back into the pool and if the procedure stays the same then you can expect the following:

1. A reduced personal construct slot count does not trigger any abandonment timers and you will still be able to use all pre-existing constructs normally. Creating additional personal constructs will be restricted until either your construct count falls bellow your current core count limit or you retrain said talents to raise said limit to that point. Note that with zero talents you will still have 10 construct slots.
  2. Skills affecting core size limits behave in a similar way. If you had a large dynamic construct then you will still be able to own, operate and edit it even after losing that skill but you will be unable to deploy or redeploy large cores until you retrain your talents to once again meet that requirement.

Obviously organization constructs are a different story and they will be subject to abandonment after a certain amount of time has passed. The default window for this is 14 days but NQ might extend this to give the more inactive players additional time to react.

This forum is about Mercury 0.3 that is coming and the Exchange.   I want to suggest that the Exchange provide the ability for players selling stuff to post the prices (preferably remotely) so that other players can decide which sellers to buy from.  There is enough variation in ship design so that doesn't need to be a price war.   With element sales, it is always a price or convenience war as it should be.  I don't know why they don't provide the ability to setup player markets that are part of the J market system.

I also want to be able to filter construct and BP sales on non-DRM (or DRM) as I will only occasionally be interested in purchasing DRM builds, never for a ship used in PVP space unless there is a discount method to replace it.

8 minutes ago, Ortath said:

I don't know why they don't provide the ability to setup player markets that are part of the J market system.

I'm actually in favor of not having everything integrated into a system that is reachable from everywhere; it provides a reason to go eleswhere.

11 minutes ago, Msoul said:

This is actually not the first time we have had talents send back into the pool

While true, it is the first time a TWO YEAR period of accrued talent points is returned to the pool

If NQ does not provide some basic tools to manage that better, it will be a royal PITA to get it all back in place

I know your response was not really relevant to this but it's important to realize this.

We need an option to:

1. EXPORT our currently trained talents (preferably to a textfile)
  2. IMPORT a training queue from clipboard or a textfile
  3. Apply points in the pool to the existing queue

These very basic and simple options wil make this a LOT less painful and opens other options in game like respec tokens.

For years we are told any kind of test-account is a bad idea as it does not work with the player driven economy and persistent universe, introducing it almost seems like there are plans to, you know, not have it persistent, like due to some kinda already planned wipe.

anyway

Player markets of this type, as in, some L cores for decoration and foundation, filled with S or XS cores where people can have dispensers or advertisement, is something that players have already done, but could not get to really take off because of the missing ability to advertise.

Instead of giving players the tools to advertise such a thing (see below), NQ builds their own version, which is now "official" and gets a sticky top spot in the VR list, twitter, website, release note, youtube, launcher advertisement slots.

What are people with actual markets (sorry, dispenser halls with screens) supposed to display there? Big screens with price lists, screenshots of the market and an info button to set destination?
If the normal market ui ("J") had an option to "include player dispensers", then any player wanting to buy item X could also see
"Oh, somebody has a dispenser on a construct called SVEA-Market" 50km away and sells it for cheaper, 52 items available!"

A ship seller has screenshots of his ships, descriptions and destination button at the NQ-Market.
Imagine he could just upload the BP into a "ship databank" and any player can, via VR, load and test those ships in a VR enviroment, and of course buy the bp, I mean it is just a data item after all. 

Nope, what we get is the way that needs the smallest amount of work possible, an intern building a market like players already did, manually choose who gets to "rent a stall" and it all gets advertised via the usual outlets.

So a player market, made by devs, advertised via out-of-game tools, without adding in-game tools.
Website based DAC stuff, without adding in-game stuff.
Website based new friend invites, no change in game.
Talents reset, without any change to the talents, which sure could need one.

But in the game at least square lights now do what vertical lists already do, that’s a relief, unless you actually wanted to have some kind of spotlight, with a cone, like the square light works currently.

4 hours ago, Gottchar said:

For years we are told any kind of test-account is a bad idea as it does not work with the player driven economy and persistent universe, introducing it almost seems like there are plans to, you know, not have it persistent, like due to some kinda already planned wipe.

anyway

Player markets of this type, as in, some L cores for decoration and foundation, filled with S or XS cores where people can have dispensers or advertisement, is something that players have already done, but could not get to really take off because of the missing ability to advertise.

Instead of giving players the tools to advertise such a thing (see below), NQ builds their own version, which is now "official" and gets a sticky top spot in the VR list, twitter, website, release note, youtube, launcher advertisement slots.

What are people with actual markets (sorry, dispenser halls with screens) supposed to display there? Big screens with price lists, screenshots of the market and an info button to set destination?
If the normal market ui ("J") had an option to "include player dispensers", then any player wanting to buy item X could also see
"Oh, somebody has a dispenser on a construct called SVEA-Market" 50km away and sells it for cheaper, 52 items available!"

A ship seller has screenshots of his ships, descriptions and destination button at the NQ-Market.
Imagine he could just upload the BP into a "ship databank" and any player can, via VR, load and test those ships in a VR enviroment, and of course buy the bp, I mean it is just a data item after all. 

Nope, what we get is the way that needs the smallest amount of work possible, an intern building a market like players already did, manually choose who gets to "rent a stall" and it all gets advertised via the usual outlets.

So a player market, made by devs, advertised via out-of-game tools, without adding in-game tools.
Website based DAC stuff, without adding in-game stuff.
Website based new friend invites, no change in game.
Talents reset, without any change to the talents, which sure could need one.

But in the game at least square lights now do what vertical lists already do, that’s a relief, unless you actually wanted to have some kind of spotlight, with a cone, like the square light works currently.

Thank you for summing up my thoughts so well, Gottchar.

NQ, you really need to listen to what this man has to say. The Alioth Exchange is a step away from player-driven content! How about you discuss and engage with the community to get feedback before you introduce major things?

Edited by Yoarii

Question, it was mentioned that we would keep our Core BP's. Does this include Core BP's that we have found in salvage, bought or created from DRM released salvaged BP's? and/or received from others? Thanks!

18 hours ago, Mncdk1 said:

NQ: What happens to our personal constructs when we no longer have the skills to support them? Is there also a check on them every 14 days? Or are they just abandoned when the skills are gone?

I reckon they are just planning to wipe them few weeks later anyway so didn't bother to even think about this and will just turn off the code which expires things.

Surely they won't make us go through all the hassle of logging in and re-training the skills on multiple characters, donating slots to our org, etc just in case and then 'decide' to wipe it all 3 weeks later?

54 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

Surely they won't make us go through all the hassle of logging in and re-training the skills on multiple characters, donating slots to our org, etc just in case and then 'decide' to wipe it all 3 weeks later?

If they did, it'd be a big middle finger to the entire community. At this point I wouldn't be surprised though as our time doesn't seem to have any value to NQ.

1 hour ago, Zeddrick said:

Yeah surely. Haha^^ 

OH.. Look what I found :D

For those to lazy to click to the October 2020 post ;) 

If I were in charge of this here is what I would have done:

1. Communicate the plan as outlined here in advance.
  2. Create a large, flat and open space, 4 large cores in the center as market area  surrounded by L core landing pads. at least 2 tiles over from the district it is part of.
  3. Center 4 L cores are a no fly zone and attempt to land there will fling you off away from the location
  4. Designate this as the player's market/mall
  5. Players can submit their shop design to NQ for approval,  shops can only be XS core and must be static.
  6. On approval, NQ places the store on the center L platforms, creating the mall
  7. Constructs not suitable/enabled for flight can't be spawned at District markets
  8. Any constructs left on the District markets for more than 24 hours will be impounded and can be recovered through paying a fee to the "District harbormaster's office".

Whoa a mission with my name in it 😄 The space delivery challenge has a location called "Serula glass" I think that needs to carry the name of the original creator. I was not the creator of that station. The location "Serula research" is correct.

bugs:

- I was unable to complete the challenge because the concrete dropoff didn't complete. I put 6000L in the dropoff container but it didn't register.

- I got stuck landing on one of the stations and had to use the /unstuck command. After that many sounds didn't play anymore. Engine sounds and jetpack sounds at least, maybe more.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:22 AM, Taelessael said:

I#m pretty sure what's there will persist through the wipe. This is why NQ needs to be very careful here and not repeat their mistake of pre beta wipe day 1 (well first few hours actually) and open up a massive exploit. 

That is besides the fact I completely agree with @Gottchar's comments earlier of this being massively over-reaching by NQ really.

I believe the exchange is possibly an honest and well meant idea by one or a few devs who see a problem and try to address it.

The fact it makes it into the game means there is no one managing them in a way to fit whet they do in the direction the game is supposed to be designed. Saying "great idea but it does not fit the vision" is an important step in game design and that seems to be lacking at NQ.

Someone must have initially pitched the idea, which should have been where thsi was stopped or at least questioned and from that stopped. It is a waste of time, no matter how well intended it was, as it goes against what DU is supposed to be about

48 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

That's because NQ's countless managers are all locked in a room to discuss the wipe! badum-tish...

that is assuming the managers are actually working! badadum-tish...