UPDATE: MERCURY (0.30) - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Good to see positive momentum!  I do have a question though. What about Ship/construct Core blueprints that have been purchased, found in salvage or that were salvaged with open RDMS? Also please keep in mind that there are many people who did not build their own ships and do not have back up BP's. So if a wipe comes, they will loose all their ships. I think we need  a compromise here for those folks.

If there's a wipe then everything I have done and built will be a waste of time, also, everything I do between now and the wipe will be a waste of time.

Summer DACs will also be a waste of time.

All the ores I've mined the old way and the calibrations of mining units I've done will all be a waste of time.

So, I guess, until we know that there will be no wipe, even if that is not until after the wipe, there is no point in my playing this game and no point in inviting friends to waste their time playing either.

Please tell us whether there will be a wipe, when will the wipe happen (dates please), how much will be wiped, will we keep our ores, will we keep our Quanta, will our tiles on Sanctuary be kept or will we have to claim new tiles?

Etc..

7 minutes ago, Celestis said:

a waste of time.

It's a game.. it's supposed to be time you have to waste..

If one would try to argue "I could have spent my time better", one only confirm one really has a bigger problem than this..

How is inviting friend to come play, see if they like the game and then start planning for universe domination on release a bad thing ;)

see.. I pretty much reversed your argument for you.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

Oh, these "summer DACs" are the perfect excuse for the wipe for sure.. It's probably what 6 months+ of "internal discussions" has resulted in.

Common now your being overly cynical here. Encouraging new players to join is something both NQ and the community want regardless of the wipe outcome. Furthermore extensive testing is needed to ensure the new FTUE is suitable for release and that the player density issues we encountered during beta start have indeed been resolved.

8 minutes ago, Celestis said:

If there's a wipe then everything I have done and built will be a waste of time, also, everything I do between now and the wipe will be a waste of time.

Summer DACs will also be a waste of time.

All the ores I've mined the old way and the calibrations of mining units I've done will all be a waste of time.

So, I guess, until we know that there will be no wipe, even if that is not until after the wipe, there is no point in my playing this game and no point in inviting friends to waste their time playing either.

Honestly its free game time, there is no situation where this is bad thing. Please invite your friends and be sure to let them know about the wipe possibility. Even if a wipe occurs at least they got to try the game at no cost. Whether they choose to subscribe afterwards and restart is their call but don't deprive them of the opportunity.

15 minutes ago, Msoul said:

Please invite your friends 

I had done this in the beta. I wanted to gift 2 keys to 2 of my friends, one of them being an EVE Veteran - they flat out refused.

If there's a wipe, will we keep our schematics?

I spent time and quanta mining for ores to create, setting up industry to make what I needed, with a vision in mind of what I wanted to create, and part way through this process a wipe will pull the rug out from under my feet.

It is no fun doing something for the second time.

I will add my 5 cents. sorry I will be that terrible guy who criticize.

you main goal now to return number of players to more or less appropriate range. so you need to return players and hold them with some fun/new features/game mechanics changes. you need this because investors should see at least a flat number of clients but now they see huge loss. secondly you need to test game. you can't test without people.

so let's check point by point

1. THE ALIOTH EXCHANGE won't bring anyone back. small useless change

2. CONTINUED GRAPHICAL UPGRADES same. won't bring anyone back

3. SUMMER DACs lets discuss at the end

4. NOVEAN OVERVIEW won't bring anyone back. small useless change

5. LUA API very bad investment. won't bring anyone back. it is not important for us. for you it is huge work that takes a lot of time.

6. TALENT POINT RESET it's ok. I think it's easy task. nothing important

so to the point 3 Summer DACs. I think you idea to involve new players. But you should not just involve but also hold them. In the current situation you can't hold them because there is nothing to do in the game. they come, burn you money via server time and leave.

in conclusion this is a bad update that will do worse due to you spent developers time for it with no profit.

I think you should do some gameplay changes before gifting DACs.

PS Devs Game is terrible now but I love the idea and want you to succeed. Add some collection version or something useless to buy for that players who want to support you more than 1-2 subscription/month. 

Edited by Catarix

29 minutes ago, Celestis said:

If there's a wipe, will we keep our schematics?

I spent time and quanta mining for ores to create, setting up industry to make what I needed, with a vision in mind of what I wanted to create, and part way through this process a wipe will pull the rug out from under my feet.

It is no fun doing something for the second time.

Please keep it about the next patch. As much as we'd all love to continue talking about the wipe, this is not the right thread. 

6 hours ago, NQ-Ligo said:

It seems that this information has not been detailed, but the panel overview contains two pages, home (home icon) and skins.
So if it can reassure you, the home page will contain general information like :
 - Current balance
 - Current owned constructs (with the maximum based on your talents)
 - Current territories count (with the X/5 HQ reserved)
 - Linked container range
 - Current calibration charges (with maximum based on your talents)
 - Charge regeneration time (based on your talents)

Don't worry about values, developer accounts have super-powerful talents.😁
image.thumb.png.4e268eae8057ea394e8a03f3f26e9120.png

Would it be possible to have all the organisations a character is apart of listed on this page with a clickable link so you can view the page of those organisations? 

Seems to me that the Alioth exchange is the sort of thing that should be left to players to create in a player driven sandbox MMO game.  For markets sure, the game doesn't support player driven markets yet.  But what does the Alioth Exchange actually do that the various player created cities, etc can't do?

It's hard enough to find reasons to make a city as it is without NQ undermining these by effectively making their own NPC one.

Just now, Zeddrick said:

Seems to me that the Alioth exchange is the sort of thing that should be left to players to create in a player driven sandbox MMO game.  For markets sure, the game doesn't support player driven markets yet.  But what does the Alioth Exchange actually do that the various player created cities, etc can't do?

It's hard enough to find reasons to make a city as it is without NQ undermining these by effectively making their own NPC one.

Something like the Bazzar by Shamsie and Briggenti should be a staple of every large group of player, but I feel like they really didn't have enough tools in game for it to be possible. i.e. the ability to place a cities worth of cores, rent them out, manage players who quit, player run markets, terminals. It seems like this is a good start but not a end solution yet.

Just now, space_man said:

Something like the Bazzar by Shamsie and Briggenti should be a staple of every large group of player, but I feel like they really didn't have enough tools in game for it to be possible. i.e. the ability to place a cities worth of cores, rent them out, manage players who quit, player run markets, terminals. It seems like this is a good start but not a end solution yet.

If this feature is effectively  an admission that things like player made cities are unviable at launch time due to management problems and NQs solution is to make an NPC bazaar as the only way to manage this then the game is doomed.

But if you look ar Utopia city, Freeport city and several others it does seem that this sort of thing can be done already.  People have done it in fact.

Could it be that NQ are actually thinking that they want stuff to be available on day 1 after a wipe and that's what this is for?

Hey guys.

Sometimes my base (and everything else) just straight up isn't there. Literally happening as I type this.

Too often I fly somewhere and then my ship teleports itself home leaving me stranded.

It takes 10 steps (in the exact right order) to target and fire at a ship in pvp, and...

My adversaries ship is likely to desynch teleport itself 1 su away while I'm shooting at it.

I landed on a stationary ship in space today and then exited my ship and the formerly stationary ship was suddenly going 20,000 kph.

I can't run a mission with a friend because we almost certainly will not have the same one.

When I turn on my radar, all I can see is a sea of construct names stretching to the horizon, usually obscuring my destination.

The game is in the most unplayable state I've ever seen it, and you guys are going to have us invite people to play. That's like taking a giant sh!t on your coffee table and then inviting the neighbors over to watch television.

Kudos on the foliage makeover tho...

I hope this feedback helped. ❤️

32 minutes ago, StoneSpoons said:

Hey guys.

Sometimes my base (and everything else) just straight up isn't there. Literally happening as I type this.

Too often I fly somewhere and then my ship teleports itself home leaving me stranded.

It takes 10 steps (in the exact right order) to target and fire at a ship in pvp, and...

My adversaries ship is likely to desynch teleport itself 1 su away while I'm shooting at it.

I landed on a stationary ship in space today and then exited my ship and the formerly stationary ship was suddenly going 20,000 kph.

I can't run a mission with a friend because we almost certainly will not have the same one.

When I turn on my radar, all I can see is a sea of construct names stretching to the horizon, usually obscuring my destination.

The game is in the most unplayable state I've ever seen it, and you guys are going to have us invite people to play. That's like taking a giant sh!t on your coffee table and then inviting the neighbors over to watch television.

Kudos on the foliage makeover tho...

I hope this feedback helped. ❤️

You may want to look at you're PC or Internet service provider.  In 2 years I've never heard of teleporting ships.  Or ships returning to their base without assistance.  This is likely because your on bad internet and no longer connected to the server. 

PVP desync is common, but there are ways to combat it, like having a friend tell you information, or take the helm while you relog. (because your bad internet isn't keeping up)

Ships always resume their speed when someone gets on them after they are killed or the player logs out.  Ie: If the ship is going 20,000kph when the pilot disconnects (due to bad internet) or logs out. When anyone gets onto the ship or the pilot logs back in, the ship resumes its speed.  This has been this way for years.  

If you and your friend don't have the same mission then you are obviously not communicating. Missions aren't random, they don't change. You are both taking different missions, its not a bug, its just your failure to read properly.

When you turn on your radar you see too much information.  Maybe try using Alt+V to bring up the radar menu and unclick some of the boxes.  

That said, none of your post has anything to do with this patch and should be in the "I need help" section.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DekkarTV

1 hour ago, DekkarTV said:

You may want to look at you're PC or Internet service provider.  In 2 years I've never heard of teleporting ships.  Or ships returning to their base without assistance.  This is likely because your on bad internet and no longer connected to the server. 

PVP desync is common, but there are ways to combat it, like having a friend tell you information, or take the helm while you relog. (because your bad internet isn't keeping up)

Ships always resume their speed when someone gets on them after they are killed or the player logs out.  Ie: If the ship is going 20,000kph when the pilot disconnects (due to bad internet) or logs out. When anyone gets onto the ship or the pilot logs back in, the ship resumes its speed.  This has been this way for years.  

If you and your friend don't have the same mission then you are obviously not communicating. Missions aren't random, they don't change. You are both taking different missions, its not a bug, its just your failure to read properly.

When you turn on your radar you see too much information.  Maybe try using Alt+V to bring up the radar menu and unclick some of the boxes.  

That said, none of your post has anything to do with this patch and should be in the "I need help" section.

Hope that helps.

Yes. It's obviously my PC and internet connection. But only when I'm playing DU. And my hardware and ISP are SO bad they affect not only me, but others who live far away from me.  I owe the entire community a YUGE apology!  You da best!

Edited by StoneSpoons

not only you.  i have been teleported many times.  Usually for me it is when i am leaving alioth atmo.  i can be 2 su away from alioth and then boom i see palm trees and crashing on alioth.

8 hours ago, DarkEvader said:

Talant Points reset/refund. No problems other than the having to spend a good time reassigning them back correctly.

- Could we get a tool to export current talent points allocation to a text file? Talent Point reset/refund (partial or total) is a frequent thing during patches, so this tool would come in handy not only with Mercury but any other future updates that involve Talent Point refund.

This is a good idea. Even if its just a way to list what we have now in a txt file. Being able to refund skill points ant will. Keep a record of builds to allow us to respec would be very good.

there can be a built in delay so players cant change them on the fly. Its just the shear volume of points gets out of hand unless there is a way to track them and save a Build.

The current system provides allot on detail, but a overview of what the player needs to achieve a build is lacking. 

If we have a way to document what skills we have in a sharable manner. then its possible to work out best practice for a given build type and make that available to other players. Be that in general or friends.

Engines.

Less engines per ship, add the xl atmo engine and the rest of the wings sizes. Oh please make the atmo engines actually look like a  sci-fi engine. Instead of the gas range on a BBQ.

Less engines required for the needed thrust would lead to better looking ships, possibly better game performance with fewer active elements.

unfortunately less engines mor thrust may well mean builders will simply get more thrust for the same amount of engines, instead of reducing the engine count.

SCI-FI Engines should NOT look Like the gas ports on a BBQ

I believe they have already stated that we keep our blueprints. we just need the skill points respect to be less of time pit.

on a side note. I find the calibration of the mining units to be a very very boring unpleasant waist of game time. simply limiting the personnel mining units to 50 would have been adequate

6 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

Could it be that NQ are actually thinking that they want stuff to be available on day 1 after a wipe and that's what this is for?

Wouldn't a wipe make a bazaar useless for at least a few days by deleting everything that anyone would have to sell?