UPDATE: MERCURY (0.30) - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

THE ALIOTH EXCHANGE

sounds interesting! Looking forward to how this will work. Do you pay rent or it there another way to make sure only active players are using it?

CONTINUED GRAPHICAL UPGRADES, sounds good! Seems like it will improve the vissibility!

SUMMER DACs

Can they be exchanged in game as well?

How will it work for us ruby founders and above?

NOVEAN OVERVIEW

Nice addition! I think skins are a nice income model as well.

LUA API

Don't know enough about lua, one day...

TALENT POINT RESET

Super! 

WIPE (no info)

Still waiting on this, please at least let us know that IF a wipe happens that we at least get to keep our talent points and blueprints but that other things like money are still on the table.

As a miner most of my wealth is gathered by spending hours mining and running around calibrating so a money wipe would not be preferred. But I understand a materials and stuff wipe might be needed to reset the economy.

Character overview with a tab for skins, but no overview of personal construct slots? Wtf... (Edit2: See response from NQ-Ligo)

Edit: And the graphics update seems cool, but the last time you added new/improved graphics (Athena), it came with quite a performance hit, so I'll definitely hold my judgement on this. But it looks nice.

Edited by Mncdk1

Exchange seems to be further moving us away from Player Controlled Markets/Cities to NPC controlled.

Talent points - Why?  Not going to complain except having to re-do all my talents again ugh (kinda happy how I ahve mine atm)

DAC - Good idea to test your systems.

• NQ-Wanderer changed the title to UPDATE: MERCURY (0.30) - discussion thread

All great stuff to see. Those graphical improvements look amazing as well. Can't wait to see how it affects constructs.

Lua -- I just wanna say that I think this update will be very important for new coders, especially less-reliance on JSON. I like the idea of event-driven data as well, and can't wait to see what those nice-to-haves are... maybe if it's not too late we can ask for a few here.

@Mncdk1, global illumination is a graphically intensive feature from what I know, likely will be a setting. However, not personally aware what Athena brough that had quite a performance hit... could you elaborate on that xD.

9 minutes ago, Honvik said:

Talent points - Why?  Not going to complain except having to re-do all my talents again ugh (kinda happy how I ahve mine atm)

They said so, an internal change to their systems. It's a little vague, but I think it gets the idea across.

The summer DAC idea is a really awesome move and will greatly incentivize testing of that feature. I also look forward to seeing all the new players it will bring. Please everyone, do you part and donate that DAC to a friend or someone looking to try the game, as much as I love this crowd I want to interact with more players and less alts.

6 minutes ago, Mncdk1 said:

Character overview with a tab for skins, but no overview of personal construct slots? Wtf...

Edit: And the graphics update seems cool, but the last time you added new/improved graphics (Athena), it came with quite a performance hit, so I'll definitely hold my judgement on this. But it looks nice.

It seems that this information has not been detailed, but the panel overview contains two pages, home (home icon) and skins.
So if it can reassure you, the home page will contain general information like :
 - Current balance
 - Current owned constructs (with the maximum based on your talents)
 - Current territories count (with the X/5 HQ reserved)
 - Linked container range
 - Current calibration charges (with maximum based on your talents)
 - Charge regeneration time (based on your talents)

Don't worry about values, developer accounts have super-powerful talents.😁
image.thumb.png.4e268eae8057ea394e8a03f3f26e9120.png

image.png.9f781627056d10a7d6d8c577c699e57b.png

Are we finally gonna see real player markets?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1692359

Player run economy was one of the main pillars for this game.

Current dispenser based so called "Player markets" are only a placeholder.

NQ - Please read your Kick-starter post/promise, and give us comment about this.

At latest "Ask Aphelia" podcast were some discussion about Player markets, but only as a late game High end feature, which is not what is defined at Kick-starter.

30 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

, global illumination is a graphically intensive feature from what I know, likely will be a setting. However, not personally aware what Athena brough that had quite a performance hit... could you elaborate on that xD.

I don't recall what they added tbh, all I know is that when they patched Athena to the live server, my fps went from a steady ~40 when just chilling at my base, down to a steady ~25 after the patch.

24 minutes ago, NQ-Ligo said:

It seems that this information has not been detailed, but the panel overview contains two pages, home (home icon) and skins.
So if it can reassure you, the home page will contain general information like :
 - Current balance
 - Current owned constructs (with the maximum based on your talents)
 - Current territories count (with the X/5 HQ reserved)
 - Linked container range
 - Current calibration charges (with maximum based on your talents)
 - Charge regeneration time (based on your talents)

Thanks for the heads-up, this is great news. :D

3 minutes ago, Endstar said:

Not sure I want to ask new players to join DU when I cannot tell them if their efforts will be retained or lost. 

Also, with the TP reset and not knowing about any wipe details I'm lost as to what to spec. 

My thoughts exactly.

Also:

Graphical upgrades - will this fix the issue introduced in Athena, namely that all thin voxels have shadows, esp when lit by the flashlight?McpUwMt.png

58 minutes ago, kulkija said:

image.png.9f781627056d10a7d6d8c577c699e57b.png

Are we finally gonna see real player markets?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949863330/dual-universe-civilization-building-sci-fi-mmorpg/posts/1692359

Player run economy was one of the main pillars for this game.

Current dispenser based so called "Player markets" are only a placeholder.

NQ - Please read your Kick-starter post/promise, and give us comment about this.

At latest "Ask Aphelia" podcast were some discussion about Player markets, but only as a late game High end feature, which is not what is defined at Kick-starter.

I wanna give my take on player-markets: they're a great concept but likely terrible in practice.
You're right, a player run economy is one the game's main pillars. 

However, much like usual, almost all trade is done in the main market, though now that NQ has added space market, it's more like 70% of trade is done in one market.
Having player markets won't change that, you're just adding more clutter most of the time, the market system is only the interface to allow the player to sell and buy stuff. As long as the interface exists, you have the ability and agency to sell and buy stuff. Player markets really are just like artificial coloring added to your jellybeans, it isn't somehow required for a player-run economy. (Ignoring the fact that markets act as an intermediary for storage)

Secondly, player markets only make sense when the scale of your operation kicks off, when you can reasonably produce enough to make a dent in the trade volume, and in that sense you're late mid-game to late game.

Also, being beholden to a 6-year-old post is just simply dumb. "Oh hey, please read and implement exactly what you thought up and talked about 6 years ago even though it doesn't make sense anymore because you said it."
It's like that meme, just replacing "standard" with "market". My drawing sucks. But you get the point, hopefully.

image.png.301694f52127ed764e5f33bc225fc9e7.png

1 hour ago, Mncdk1 said:

I don't recall what they added tbh, all I know is that when they patched Athena to the live server, my fps went from a steady ~40 when just chilling at my base, down to a steady ~25 after the patch.

Hmm. I haven't personally felt anything. Idk, maybe report it? Are you running any scripts or have any ships with high complexity on the voxel side of things? Maybe your logs are getting spammed? Do you have voxel logs enabled?

Character overview is a nice addon, centralizing a lot of the numbers that are scattered amongst separate interfaces.

LUA API revamp - oh well, thats probably going to render current scripts useless, breaking a lot of automations. [edited: Rest assured that your codes will still work in Mercury

Talant Points reset/refund. No problems other than the having to spend a good time reassigning them back correctly.

- Could we get a tool to export current talent points allocation to a text file? Talent Point reset/refund (partial or total) is a frequent thing during patches, so this tool would come in handy not only with Mercury but any other future updates that involve Talent Point refund.

- Alioth Exchange - this will need to be huge, a large number of players will want a spot there. 

Edited by DarkEvader

12 minutes ago, DarkEvader said:

LUA API revamp - oh well, thats probably going to render current scripts useless, breaking a lot of automations.

I believe Ligo has stated, that they will deprecate LUA functionality whenever possible, instead of just replacing it, so people have a chance to adapt their scripts to the changes afterwards, and stuff doesn't just break.

That might not be technically possible 100% of the time (or feasible, i.e. security concerns), but that's the goal.

12 minutes ago, DarkEvader said:

- Could we get a tool to export current talent points allocation to a text file?

Yes please.

Edited by Mncdk1

Well, so much for "Athena is the last major update before release", something NQ conveniently forgets to mention they backpaddle on less than two months later.

Alioth Exchange
What could possibly go wrong with one central place for players to advertise their goods. Anyone remember the single market idea?
This will result is massive lag and performance issues, resulting in many deliberations on how to fix, resulting in each market area getting their own copy .. 

This somewhat resembles the idea I posted about many, many months ago with regards to how the wild growth of player stalls on markets could be addressed. Unfortunately. I may repost as I believe the original idea was actually posted in the NDA section, AKA well before beta started.

Graphical/Lighting updates
Looks terrible, totally unrealistic blur and emissions seemingly coming from walls and objects,

Summer DAC
So you want each active player to bring a friend for a month or two.. guess what.. I see more alts coming.  Also, nice creation of an excuse to both wipe and set up a "now pay a sub to stay in and join the early start prior to release" idea

Novean Overview
Basic stuff but here is another useful bit of information hindered by the ancient and totally unsuitable UI design which has not changed since pre alpha.

Lua API
Will break many things and from what I expect it will barely give coders time to fix all the things it will break before release. Why this was not object oriented (like referenced in THIS post I made back in 2020) yet is beyond me. Well not really as it's to be expected and probably just he top of the iceberg.

Talent point reset
No idea what "technical reason" may be causing the need to do this but whatever. It will need to be redone again in a few months anyway.

Asking players to respec with no UX/UI to make this as painless as possible would be terrible so please add:

• Copy trained talent tree to clipboard (or text file)
  • Paste from clipboard to queue
  • Apply TP from pool to queue 

So. Give us XL Atmo Engines and [XL | L] Stabilizers. Adjust the stats for those, so there is less elements to loop and the game will certainly run better with only that. 

You know very well that this is a very easy thing to do, NQ. 

1. The visual improvement
  2. Focus on the very important things like the above, that would very much benefit on the performance side. 
  3. Fix or improve the network code (desyncs) that breaks the overall experience and immersion, and not only that, it make PvP not fun and very difficult to play.
  4. Make some kind of survival mechanics, since you care so much for realism, although it's a game, and should be fun to play.
  5. To say that would be unrealistic the give a tool that vanish all voxels and elements from a construct is absolutely absurd. IRL, we use demolishing with C4 and all kinds of stuff. The building vanishes and that's real. So, make an FX before deletion and return the material to the players inventory, and there you go. 

7 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Summer DAC
So you want each active player to bring a friend for a month or two.. guess what.. I see more alts coming.

Good idea - I may finally be able to have an Alt, ever if only for one month

10 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Talent point reset
No idea what "technical reason" may be causing the need to do this but whatever. It will need to be redone again in a few months anyway.

Asking players to respec with no UX/UI to make this as painless as possible would be terrible so please add:

• Copy trained talent tree to clipboard (or text file)
  • Paste from clipboard to queue
  • Apply TP from pool to queue

100% agree