need more PvP. turn it on everywhere for test

Catarix

15 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

PvP:ers have the same access to planets that builders do, and you now have the space core with a large amount of T5 ore as well as the plasma. I don't see builders having more than PvPers.

if I used simple logic  I would say: builders can build on core too but PvPer can't pewpew on planets. 

but I'm not going to troll people here. 

I really want this game to develop. I think competition is the only thing that can involve many people to the game. 

14 hours ago, Palad1n said:

This was not the vision many of us old school alpha testers had, nor was it what was initially displayed in the original combat videos. The original combat videos made it look like ship battles were much closer range, and the damage was updated as things happened and you could see most of it with visual range. It wasn't this long range periscopic view like I am playing some submarine sim. 

I can't speak for anyone else.  But as someone who was here before there were even screenshots of the game.  I knew this is exactly what the combat would look like.  Because NQ was always very clear that it would be "target lock" style combat, because that's the only type of combat that would work with the game they were trying to build.

Anyone who's ever bought a video game should know the difference between a cutscene or a cinematic promo video, and actual gameplay footage.  All you had to do is read one of the Dev blogs on PVP and you would have known everything that you need to know.

The mistake that NQ may have made is in thinking that people would accept that style of combat.  Or i guess in underestimating how many people would just put their fingers in their ears and ignore the reasons and just demand better combat anyway.

Complaining that target-lock style combat is bad is just a waste of time.  The only solution to that is waiting for technology to catch up.  

What this game could have right now, is good target-lock style combat.  When i say that i'm picturing World of Warcraft, except you are a spaceship instead of an Elf.  We need depth and specialization, customization.  All the things that made games like WOW so successful.

I've been playing a game called Dark Deity.  It's a tactical RPG, basically a Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics clone.  And I absolutely love this type of game, but the "combat" is just hitting a button that says ATTACK and then watching a cutscene of two people whacking each other with swords.

The fun is in building your team of fighters, equipping them, learning their strengths and weaknesses.  Preparing for battles, considering geography and positioning, and attempting to give yourself an advantage against your opponent any way you can.  Most of the game is in the preparation, but the combat part is still fun, because it's fun to watch all of your hard work pay off when you win.

Just because a game has "combat" or "PVP" doesn't mean it is required to have hyper realistic simulated one on one combat.

49 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

So the videos of PvP are more fun than it really is in the game. I think a lot of players are led into a false expectation.  Who reads through texts somewhere instead of watching the latest videos of the game?
https://media-marketing.prod.novaquark.com/WE_SHALL_FIGHT.mp4

We can discuss the ethics and effectiveness of their marketing videos.  But they certainly aren't the first company to include cinematic footage in a promo video that isn't "gameplay".

But to demand that the actual gameplay adhere to the content of a promo video is just ridiculous.   If the game won't work that way, why waste our time grumbling about the promo videos.  Wouldn't it be more useful to think about how to make the combat that we are stuck with, more fun?

This is a game that can't have fast-paced realistic combat, because of other choices and technical limitations.  But it has a ton of other amazing features that no other game has.  And those features would all be more fun with PVP/conflict.  

If other games that also faced the same technical limitations, like World of Warcraft, or EVE, have been successful.   I don't see any reason why it can't work in this game.

But it means people will have to accept that the PVP might only be "fun" in the context that you can do it, in THIS game.  It might not be as "fun" as the PVP in other games that are more PVP focused.

7 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

If other games that also faced the same technical limitations, like World of Warcraft, or EVE, have been successful.   I don't see any reason why it can't work in this game.

However, it should be mentioned in the case of World of Warcraft, which is one of the most successful players on the market, that you can completely do without PvP as a player in the game if you don't feel like it. As a result, there are no restrictions on not getting something from the professions (materials). The only thing PvP players have is their own PvP armor, a small share of the achievement system and rewards there (titles, pets, mounts,style).

In DualUniverse, the PvP players want to have a much larger share of the game and also claim the best items in the game just for themselves.

5 minutes ago, Zarcata said:

However, it should be mentioned in the case of World of Warcraft, which is one of the most successful players on the market, that you can completely do without PvP as a player in the game if you don't feel like it. As a result, there are no restrictions on not getting something from the professions (materials). The only thing PvP players have is their own PvP armor, a small share of the achievement system and rewards there (titles, pets, mounts,style).

In DualUniverse, the PvP players want to have a much larger share of the game and also claim the best items in the game just for themselves.

For my personal preferences WoW went in the wrong direction with a lot of those decisions.  Which is why i only played it for a little while.   I played Everquest for maybe 10 years, and Rift for several years too, on the type of PVP sever where the player base is divided into two teams, and there are areas of the game where you cannot avoid PVP, and other areas where you are safe.  PVP wasn't a side activity, it was something that happened organically as you were playing the game.

I think the devs are caught in a tug of war between people who enjoy PVP and people who don't.  And for me the perfect game is when they try to find a balance.  What WOW did was try to go all the way in both directions.  That may make a more popular game overall, but it's not what i'm into.

The game that NQ set out to make, is a niche game.  It might not please everyone on the extreme ends of the PVP spectrum.  But it's also not two separate games, one for PVP players, and one for non-PVP players.  It's one game where both sides benefit from each other.

13 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

And the solution is to force the builder part of the game to join the PvP regardless of if they want to or not?

Problem here, that people just cant formulate true reason of their frustrations. So they repeat and repeat this idea of "forcing" PvP.

Most PvP players [were] here not even for actual shooting (million better games for this) -- its just medium/catalyzer of their true passions -- large group dynamics/in-game conflicts and politics, all kind of dramas. Yet its exactly where NQ failed players most miserably, achieving only pretty sterile solo/small group game for building/industry/gamemoney grinding nerds. So in frustartion PvP players think if they will be able to kill all happy (obviously carebear) nerds, stomp them into dirt, it kinda alleviate their pains and right all wrongs with how game made. It suddenly be as cool as EVE etc.

It won't.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

We can discuss the ethics and effectiveness of their marketing videos.  But they certainly aren't the first company to include cinematic footage in a promo video that isn't "gameplay".

But to demand that the actual gameplay adhere to the content of a promo video is just ridiculous.   If the game won't work that way, why waste our time grumbling about the promo videos.  Wouldn't it be more useful to think about how to make the combat that we are stuck with, more fun?

This is a game that can't have fast-paced realistic combat, because of other choices and technical limitations.  But it has a ton of other amazing features that no other game has.  And those features would all be more fun with PVP/conflict.  

But it means people will have to accept that the PVP might only be "fun" in the context that you can do it, in THIS game.  It might not be as "fun" as the PVP in other games that are more PVP focused.

I think you are a little bit delusional for attempting to back up NQ when these videos they produce actually look like "in-game footage" to me. Everything in that video looked very convincing to myself and many others that it was the real deal, and it looked like target lock to me, which is fine. What is NOT fine is when the target lock system becomes nothing more than a super long range simulator with very little graphical fidelity / interaction. 

Beginning to think you are a paid advocate for NQ with much you defend their actions. I 100% guarantee that nobody thought that the combat we have today would be what we actually got after all the videos NQ released. That is not a special cinematic, that is actual in-game footage with possible cinematic effects to enhance it a bit, but should have been the actual combat the players actually saw and got. 

On 6/10/2022 at 5:56 AM, Catarix said:

no one is playing. game is stagnating. wipe is ahead. the is nothing to lose for now. lets try more PvP everywhere (except Haven and Sanctuary). lets try planetary PvP according space rules. lets try in now because after release it will be impossible to do global changes. 

if this game is THE SPACE MMO ENTIRELY BUILT AND DRIVEN BY PLAYERS why I can't control my guns everywhere where I want to? if it's peaceful minecraft in space why here are weapon? 

While I agree with you about PvP being a cornerstone of the game concept.  The game as it is has a player base that has been reduced to 2 broad groups.  Those that like to build sand castles and those that want to kick them  over.  The only thing the 2 groups have in common is that they both haven't realized they're playing a dead game.