A LETTER FROM OUR CREATIVE DIRECTOR - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Those who care about being surpassed by anyone, are the ones who want a wipe, and that's why they want it. New and old players alike.

The whole point is that it's a bogus reason for a wipe. And if the game survives it won't be because of that.

This is some pathetic attempt at reverse psychology...  

Those who don't want a wipe are terrified of being surpassed be new players...  See how stupid it sounds.  It sounds stupid because no one has brought that argument to the table, until now... as some pathetic attempt at reverse psychology.

At least come here with something good.  put some thought into it.

Why would we be terrified, as wipists keep pointing out we allready have a wealth of experience that puts us well ahead of them.... And that should be enough to console us.

Just ignore the total irony that that argument, relates around fairness, and that not a single non-wipist argues around fairness.

It just couldnt be that people played 16h a day when this game dropped, and that not everybody is eager to neglect their real life once more, just to be in a comparable position.

You know these so called whales? They are the people who stuck with it. You think we weren't annoyed by all the changes? Each and everytime we swallowed our pride and got back up. So boy am I glad the people who threw a shit tantrum opinion's are valued.

13 hours ago, Leppard said:

(...) Get lost sucker. (...)

6 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

(...) You're a liar, your post is a lie, and you're full of shit. (...)

@Leppard

@Hazaatan

Alright guys.
We understand the "Wipe" topic is an heated one and everyone has the right to have his own opinion.
Being passionate about it doesn't prevent to remain respectful towards each other.
Please cool off a bit.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 hour ago, Hazaatan said:

This hasn't made sense all the other times it's been said.  

If you will gain everything back after a wipe, why are you against it?  The ill-gotten gains are the only thing we lose with a wipe.

Two reasons, people will quit the game and it will destroy the history which has built up over the last 2 years. 

I have a ship which once carried Thoramine, a ship which was first to find one of the event ships in the ship hunt, a ship I built in the first 2 weeks which I used to make by first billion quanta before 0.23 broke the market gameplay (and modded over time, learning to make it better as I did so), a massive ship with 60 EXL containers I stole during the first set of requisitons and various other things I'm attached to.  None of it is going to give me any particular level of advantage, but it's all history which I like.  I certainly won't be rebuilding any of it after a wipe - most of it doesn't even fly any more  because of the broken stacked element thing.

So for me a wipe is just getting rid of all the things which happened over the last 2 years of playing.  I'm not particularly interested in starting from scratch, particularly since the gameplay loops are less interesting now, the game lacks that feeling of discovery a second time around and the feeling of bootstrapping is, IMO, broken since planet mining was taken out.

2 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

The ill-gotten gains are the only thing we lose with a wipe.

Also the ill-gotten gains thing is something I see a fair bit but I don't agree with it.  A lot of the time people mean things like selling to bot orders at the start of the game, selling voxel after that, buying cheap schematics and various other which were entirely legitimate at the time like mission running using VR.

But there are also a lot of peo whi did things like meganode mining  (and the whole scanning and auctioning thing that went with it) who will see their efforts erased.  And they can't repeat that afterwards.

But guess what?  The things you think of as Ill gotten gains will probably be quickly replaced.  People using alt farms to make money?  You can still do that again after a wipe.  It's just that anyone who figured out a way to do it is keeping quiet about that until the wipe happens!  The ammounts will be smaller but with less money In the game (it all got wiped) those of us with a post-wipe plan will have a bigger share of that wealth than before not a smaller one.

3 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

but you have to realize the game is dying.

That this game is dying is not because of the players or a possible wipe or not wipe. The game is dying because of NQ's policies and rowing back and forth with no real plan of where to go.
The game is dying because there don't seem to be enough customers attracted and engaged by the content in the game to fill their valuable free time with DualUniverse.

The game will not get better with a wipe or by taking away earned items and values in the game. It will just get emptier, and the planets or moons aren't even designed to be lively or interesting. I think that many of the new players will stay for 1-3 months and then leave the game again. 
You just have to look at the game market, what is offered to you there in terms of leisure activities. Value for money is a magic word, but so is exactly what you get for your free time. The standard gamer comes home after work/school/training and has limited time to recover and play....

The game is daying since Demetor, they are turning the game in a afk experience. Raising talents takes monts, MU can give you some income but once again you need to wait, on asteroid most of the good stuff is in pvp space witch makes players abandon them.
A lot of players do not feel like restarting the grind from 0 so this wipe make others quit since there is no point in investing time in something we will lose anyway. 
They are pushing pvp to try to save the game but pvp players were a minority and the changes they made to boost pvp pushes the other players out, for exemple speed limitations.

Apparently the game's release may be near, I'm tired of talking about the wipe. So now I wonder how and when they intend to relaunch this game since in the countries where I fuse to live (Italy-Japan) there is no talk of it anywhere and the latest substantial news dates back to 2017?

I just do not see anything "new" to what has been repeated over and over for the past many months, especially regarding a decision to wipe. 

Frankly put, wiping the server AFTER you have full release and locked in all your core gameplay mechanics should be a no-brainer, but that seems to be something your team just can't sort out. It's baffling to read such uncertainty with what you devs want this game to be, with more big changes that need to be made, reverting other big changes made (like the schematic system that just over complicated everything and added thousands of more items to have to worry about). 

I just do not see any confidence from the developers when they can't make real decisions and keep stating "we are still discussing" with regards to the wipe. You already listed all the pros and cons and how the pros to wiping just made sense already, so why are you still dawdling around on this subject? 

1. Get your core game play mechanics done and in game

2. Finalize these core game mechanics after lots of testing, iteration, bug fixes, etc. 

3. Once step 1 and 2 is done, focus on polishing up the game, and then and ONLY then, do a full wipe. 

There are a lot of old school backers in this community that simply haven't played, or only played for a short amount of time, and then have been waiting for NQ to finish the game and complete the 1.0 launch before starting in. NQ has already acknowledged  that a full wipe would level the playing field for everyone, and it would not be fair to tell long time backers (or new players) they aren't able to start out on an even playing field when the game fully releases. 

On 6/9/2022 at 8:24 PM, Bachiir said:

One of the great thing about this game is that there was a bit for every type of players ( builders, industry, miners and pvp ) now it seems like the only type of players they want to keep is pvp 

sad to kill a great game like this update after updates 

I do have the same feeling. But I must be wrong here because that would mean, they don't understand their own game - whose key selling point is the innovative voxel-based construction-system - and the type of players it attracts...  Oh, wait... 😲

again, kill npc missions.

Why name missions as an important part to make DU better, they are solo, npc, and exploidable. Nothing good comes from them in a space mmo well i hear some screem Cash!!!!

just kill missions and let people be creative about creation of profit. 

Afaik atm missions are only available 5 a day, which are randomly picked across the former pool of missions, and different for every account. So pretty much dead, in case you hadn't heard.

Missions are completely dead since the speed change, for me it’s was a good way to combine the fact I like flaying and making money but since the speed change the mission I liked to do would take me 4h of flight in pvp space, witch at the time a found to long but a least it would pay for the risk, now if the mission still existed ( witch is not the case) it would take me 6h, so maybe for you they were bad but for me it helped me pay those taxes and make money to allow me to build different buildings or ships, they changed the speed to make more pvp targets now they are dead, like asteroid in pvp space, at one point they will realise it’s not every one that want to risk there ships 

It feels like we are supposed to downsize a lot but it still feels like bigger is as allways better with the way thrust and weight scale across engine sizes.

How would the game be if the vast majority of constructs and activities happen in the <100kl range... IDK biggest missions are 400kl right? And the second biggest 125kl right. It seems like you'd struggle to do any of these with smaller than an m core. If they were to reverse the curve so that the smallest engine have the best thrust to weight ratio would it be more obvious "how to build"? I'm sure there is more thought that went into it and there is the whole planetary gravity stuff I don't know how to work into my guesstimates.

It's certain that if you're used to hauling like 10l containers at once, the small scoops are gonna feel like we're paddling with a stick. Maybe it would be better for overall performance and to reduce risk avoiding behaviour.

IDK

• 3 weeks later...

just kill npc missions.

why have npc missions but no npc ships.....

make your mind up and be a sandbox or not. make content so players can add content, for all sake if you cannot, add the possibility to propose mods.

you limit everything a solo player can do but add npc missions? Why!

• 4 weeks later...

We want to expand PvE with the goal of helping players bring the game-world to life and improving the story in which everyone experiences the game. The mission system is one area of focus for this goal in developing more complex, interconnected, and lore-oriented objectives.

On the in-game events thread I made a suggestion that could help here.  To expound, players would compete by building the dynamic constructs that would become the PvE NPC drones with a lore based computer virus or something along those lines.  The drones could haunt unclaimed asteroids, being a pest to players in varied levels of aggressiveness.  The safe space asteroids could be home to XS and S drones where other rocks may or may not have nastier surprises in store.  Perhaps they can call for backup?  Replace the core with a corrupted core that can only be recycled for the same output of recycling a normal core of the same size. 

There is also room to use the drone construction in conjunction with Aphelia ore purchases, giving in-game purpose for AI market activity.  Drone factories should be raid equivalent locations/events. 

Edit: Drone construction could also be part of the in-game purpose for missions.  It isn't unthinkable that people could be contributing to the very mechanisms that work against them.

We want to increase the quantity of discovered planets and moons as well as new aspects, biomes and gameplay opportunities, and to produce planetoids the size of big asteroids, much like the Thades belt rocks, but claimable as a territory.

I would love to see the Thades belt in and of itself being inhabited/claimable.  What I don't want is for the solar system to be crowded with too many planets and moons.  This is Dual Universe, we need a player built and controlled method to explore new solar systems and/or pocket spaces. 

Perhaps a position based probability to discover a procedurally generated solar system?  I specify position based for the purpose of a modifier for finding systems with/without safe space.  

• NQ-Nyzaltar unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Are you serious another wipe when a game is suppose two be in a release state how many games do you no have wiped after a release

this is getting Ridiculous o boy I get two keep blueprint but have two grind for months again two get it all back you know not all of us play in a big organization I haven’t even got my ship back getting close and we are talking about another wipe maybe the game was not Riley ready for a release  maybe it time two stop trying  two build back up 

There are no plans for another wipe at this time. The reset described in this thread is referring to the one that already occurred during the initial release of the game on September 27th. If you arrived here following the recent announcement of Update 1.1 coming on the 29th of November then please note that it was specifically the other gameplay features, systems, and improvements that were being referenced. The plan going forward is to continue check off the items listed of in the letter by NQ-Kyrios but rest assured the reset mentioned here has already been applied.

13 minutes ago, Msoul said:

There are no plans for another wipe at this time. The reset described in this thread is referring to the one that already occurred during the initial release of the game on September 27th. If you arrived here following the recent announcement of Update 1.1 coming on the 29th of November then please note that it was specifically the other gameplay features, systems, and improvements that were being referenced. The plan going forward is to continue check off the items listed of in the letter by NQ-Kyrios but rest assured the reset mentioned here has already been applied.

Ok thank you for Clarifying  on the reset 

On 11/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, Msoul said:

There are no plans for another wipe at this time.

But they left the door open in one of their statements... So I wouldn't be at all surprised that if they are still around in two years we would see another reset. Because honestly, I have no indication (beyond blind faith) that they've fixed the underlying issues with internal processes that caused the inflated economy during beta. If their communication and development 'improvements' are any indication on that, I have no hope that there will no reset in the future...

24 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

But they left the door open in one of their statements...

So basically the exact same situation with regard to wipe statements as made during the beta soft-release with subscriptions. And we all know how that went..

Short said, with the latest wipe DU already became a downwatered SE with a large plus, one server for all. if we get regular wipes it is nothing more then Vanilla SE without mods....and who plays without mods, Nobody