A LETTER FROM OUR CREATIVE DIRECTOR - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

14 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

Your post was about not getting your moneys worth, I don't understand the gay part, but we can drop it.

WTF? What gay part? You have issues...

Help me understand why your advantage is more important than the health of the game?  

Your assumptions are that my 'advantage' is more important then the health of the game. Do you have any dependable data that a TP wipe will attract so many new paying players that it will compensate the players that will leave due to the TP wipe AND get more players/accounts on top of that? I seriously doubt that...

Just from myself, you would have to get five paying customers to get ahead. Not just returning players that have already payed their dues during KS/Patronage and now have a ton of DAC or lifetime subscriptions, actually paying customers now.

I played/payed DU on the basis of a persistent universe, if that persistence isn't there, I would never have started. There are very few game play loops in DU and very few are actual fun, so I wasn't playing for fun, I was playing for satisfaction/gratification. Compare it to real life: You can work for crap pay, but work on an awesome project, you're not working for pay, but for the satisfaction of that awesome project. Then someone burns it down, all your labor gone... Now, there is of course the option to work for top pay (play), after you're done, they can burn it, piss on it, but you still got your pay. DU pays balls in gameplay, absolutely horrific! If I had known they would burn the place down for launch, I would just not have spent the time and the money. I would have played more Satisfactory, Dyson Sphere Program, Elite Dangerous, maybe even some Star Citizen, etc. That would have given me way more gameplay, but just not any long term satisfaction/gratification. That longterm satisfaction/gratification is why I played/payed DU.

Edited by Cergorach

I have some experience in what happens in a similar game, life is feudal also had a subscription and they wiped the world and the talents, the only compensation was to give an initial bost of double training speed to the players before the wipe, and nothing else , basically we don't own anything, and although we pay for the skills to continue training, legally we only pay for access to the game. So they are within their rights to take away what they want

On the other hand there is the moral factor, which in my point of view, would be extremely immoral to erase talent points, especially when they have been used several times as a reason for compensation or reward. regardless of what we have earned by paying the monthly fee.

23 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

It was confronting flying around after the purge seeing hundreds of abandoned factories: The clearest evidence yet what happens when you brick players' time investment.

Yes, it was a really sad sight...

22 hours ago, blazemonger said:

It's interesting that some seem to now start and try to negotiate terms of a wipe with NQ..

This is NQ's cal lto make, they are wel lwithin their rights and you have agreed to that by entering the game as you can only do so through agreement.

I get that for some a wipe will be a disapointment, I can also understand how some may see it as a reason to no longer play, which is unfortunate but your choice to make.

To be frank, this game has bigger problems than a yes/no on a wipe and if NQ does not address these, none of this matters.

For me, I expect and hope that a wipe happens as I believe it wil lbe in the best interest of the game in the long run. I also hope that NQ does take advantage of thsi wipe to correct some fo the reasons why it is now needed and on that I have my doubts.

If they do not wipe then I think that would be a mistake but so be it.. I believe that coming into a release with a gameworld full of junk and with a good few massively OP playergroups, And that is a point you can only raise (and resolve) at release and not after.

We'll see

What do you mean 'a gameworld full of junk'...

What do you think a lot of us including me have been doing? We have been cleaning out that junk and also when the timers go zero, all the remaining destroyed cores with what's left on them will vanish. Result: clean gameworld....

The abandonment rules gave me hope that a wipe will not be necessary and I still think it is completely uncalled for.

22 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

You want to keep as much stuff as you can fit into one territory, and all your talent points, and 5 BILLION quanta??

You need this far of a lead to be successful in a video game??   

You have the knowledge of how the game works, where to put your points, and what makes the most money the fastest... and that's not enough? 

how does a wipe, wipe your creativity?   They said you can save your BP.  How is that not enough?

2k on a PC?  that's a solid PC with or without DU.  That's a positive anyway you spin it.

Let me paint you a picture...

You went through school in real life right? and then finally you find your dream job and for 1,5 years you get to do architecture, build space ships, factories and you've worked hard to get that and you made a fortune. Then suddenly the president of the USA is making an announcement: he will take away all that you worked so hard to get and you start wining about it, because you're very sad you will loose everything. Then the president will say: "you still have your education and your drawings of your buildings, so no worries you can start over, so no problem..." 🤪

Speaking of updates here is a quick summary. Quite a lot to look forward to in my opinion. 

• Advertising hub for creators and merchants
  • Form flotillas/fleets of constructs
  • Additional PvE content with emphasis on missions
  • Power management allowing for construct specialization
  • Additional planetary bodies and claimable asteroids
  • Recycling elements back into components
  • DACs and kickstarter rewards coming soon

38 minutes ago, Saedow said:

he will take away all that you worked so hard to get

Spoken like a true VCR repair man.
Yes that is correct. Coal is no longer desired, diamonds are no longer rare, cursive is gratefully dead, but you can still make a living selling flat earth maps if you peddle fear with it.

Starting over is always a problem. It is also frequently rewarding. It is also  necessary. Be it an Employer, a friend, or a president; it is not the speaker of truth who is the problem. The universe marches on. Some learn and grow, some hang on to old antiquated paths and die on the side of Everest trying to reach Heaven. Some try and kill all those who are different in a futile attempt to hang on to a long dead lie.

4 hours ago, Sycopata said:

I have some experience in what happens in a similar game, life is feudal also had a subscription and they wiped the world and the talents, the only compensation was to give an initial bost of double training speed to the players before the wipe, and nothing else , basically we don't own anything, and although we pay for the skills to continue training, legally we only pay for access to the game. So they are within their rights to take away what they want

And what happened to Life is Feudal: MMO? They shut it down: 18th of January 2021. Three years after Early Access (the equivalent of DU Beta). 8 months before that, they did the wipe... Is this a prediction for a DU wipe? No, but neither are any other 'success' stories about wipes...

27 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

And what happened to Life is Feudal: MMO? They shut it down: 

LIF got shut down becaue effectively XSOLLA refused to pay them which meant they ran out of money to keep the game alive, not becaus ethe did a wipe.

English (Translator used)

Reading between the lines I understand there is a reset (wipe), which bonuses the current players get is still being discussed.

I am curious about the backer rewards and how they look in the game.

What surprises me a bit is the assumption that the territory battle has to be a PvP, PvE or AvA. I would prefer a "GO game" rather than a chess.

The power system should not completely destroy the current structures.

German (original)

Zwischen den Zeilen gelesen verstehe ich es gibt ein Reset (Wipe), welche Boni die bisherigen Spieler bekommen wird noch ausdiskutiert.

Gespannt bin ich auf die Backer-Belohnungen und wie diese im Spiel aussehen.

Was mich etwas verwundert ist die Annahme, dass  der territory-Kampf ein PvP, PvE oder AvA sein muss. Ich würde eher ein "GO-Spiel" als ein Schach bevorzugen.

Das Energiesystem sollte die momentanen Strukturen nicht völlig zerstören.

Die Waldfee

1 minute ago, huschhusch said:

The power system should not completely destroy the current structures.

Oh but you can bet they probably will, just like other updates.

3 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

I am curious about the backer rewards and how they look in the game.

Most of the ingame rewards are still unknown but there was some early concept art for the alpha outfit and pets.

d2fd33b30ca824898bb84b71471ae05a.jpg

Not sure if the final version is going to look the same but at least it gives you a rough idea.

1 minute ago, Msoul said:

Most of the ingame rewards are still unknown but there was some early concept art for the alpha outfit and pets.

d2fd33b30ca824898bb84b71471ae05a.jpg

Not sure if the final version is going to look the same but at least it gives you a rough idea.

Seeing this seriously almost makes me want to cry. Like the naive potential back then. like that screenshot without knowing how the past few years have gone itself gets my brain activated and exciting. I harp a lot about what NQ gets wrong, but I do feel I gotta give them credit for marketing.

English (Translator used)

Hi Msoul,

Thank you.

I know the 3, but there are supposed to be 10 different ones. 5 levels from the kickstarter and 5 levels from the suportprogram.

Then the starter ship and various suit models.

German (original)

Hallo Msoul,

Danke.

Die 3 kenne ich, aber es soll ja 10 verschiedene geben. 5 Level aus dem Kickstarter und 5 Level vom Unterstützerprogramm.

Dann noch das Starterschiff und diverse Anzugmodelle.

Die Waldfee

15 minutes ago, Rokkur said:

Seeing this seriously almost makes me want to cry.

Feel free to shoot me a DM if you want to vent a bit. I get the impression your having a bad day and I have some spare time today so I don't mind listening.

1 minute ago, huschhusch said:

I know the 3, but there are supposed to be 10 different ones. 5 levels from the kickstarter and 5 levels from the suportprogram.

Then the starter ship and various suit models

We will most likely get more information on those as we get closer to release. I am looking forward to seeing them it too.

What are you doing here? Flexing your Trekkie muscles?  This is the wrong place and the wrong time.  If you read my whole post, the point I was making with ion engines is to upgrade from wings and liquid fuel to actual futuristic space ships.  Go home Trekkie your drunk.

I was attempting to make a point about doing 5-ish minutes of research on a popular topic before using it as an example in a more polite manner than just repeating some variant of the rather blunt "do your research" comment while simultaneously pointing out that having multiple energy-sources and multiple drive-systems makes sense. Things tend to get more complicated as technology advances, not less.

Also, the game needs some manner of significant balance mechanic that can be tweaked without breaking people's immersion. Do you want batteries/reactors for a power-system, or radiators/heat-sinks for a heat system? Except for where you'd might put them they'd be more or less the same. (I'd like both, but the devs probably need smaller steps to manage)

As for using energy-powered sci-fi propulsion to replace other forms of propulsion, ion drives are a modern thing, gravity/inertial drives would be sci-fi.

You are comparing a loan to a purchase?  Because he paid $80 and got 2 years of the service he paid for.  That is nothing like a loan...  My response was based on him crying over getting 2 years of service for ONLY $80.  

And mine was me crying over you crying over his crying over NQ potentially reneging on a very simple and reasonable promise, what's your point? Do we need to dig up some goblets and poison so we can get some Princess-Bride shenanigans going to explain it?

PVP needs to be thrown into BG's, or put on a shelf.  It's terrible.  Mastering networking and basic factory, building, mining, is more important.

PvP may be far from perfect, but unless NQ intends to start implementing substantial environmental hazards that can either damage voxel and reduce the number of lives an element has, or destroy elements and voxel entirely, the game needs pvp to at least be a significant part (not penultimate, just a significant) so as to serve as the game's element/voxel-sink. 

Also, there are people that still pvp because they like to pvp (even with the sub-optimal state pvp is in). They don't need to be the game's primary focus, but we shouldn't hang them out to dry either. They are still part of the player-base that we want to keep/grow.

One of the great thing about this game is that there was a bit for every type of players ( builders, industry, miners and pvp ) now it seems like the only type of players they want to keep is pvp 

sad to kill a great game like this update after updates 

6 hours ago, Saedow said:

Let me paint you a picture...

You went through school in real life right? and then finally you find your dream job and for 1,5 years you get to do architecture, build space ships, factories and you've worked hard to get that and you made a fortune. Then suddenly the president of the USA is making an announcement: he will take away all that you worked so hard to get and you start wining about it, because you're very sad you will loose everything. Then the president will say: "you still have your education and your drawings of your buildings, so no worries you can start over, so no problem..." 🤪

That is not what is happening.  This picture your painting is not the current DU.  You are missing the part where the game is dying.  You are missing the part where this is a video game.  

You had to graduate from a school before you could play DU?  You got hustled, because I just logged in one day and started playing.

You are comparing real life fortune, to a fortune you attained in a unfinished, broken, easily exploited game?  What kind of acrobatics did your brain have to do to allow you to type that out?

Whining about losing everything?  you anti-wipers and not whining about losing 'everything', you are whining about losing your massive advantage. All your righteous posts of why not to wipe are just bullshit.  They never make any sense.  Just like this post.  You missed some important things, and your comparisons are so far off, but you did it on purpose to try and add weight to your no-wipe nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

That is not what is happening.  This picture your painting is not the current DU.  You are missing the part where the game is dying.  You are missing the part where this is a video game.  

You had to graduate from a school before you could play DU?  You got hustled, because I just logged in one day and started playing.

You are comparing real life fortune, to a fortune you attained in a unfinished, broken, easily exploited game?  What kind of acrobatics did your brain have to do to allow you to type that out?

Whining about losing everything?  you anti-wipers and not whining about losing 'everything', you are whining about losing your massive advantage. All your righteous posts of why not to wipe are just bullshit.  They never make any sense.  Just like this post.  You missed some important things, and your comparisons are so far off, but you did it on purpose to try and add weight to your no-wipe nonsense. 

For someone complaining about "whining", that's all this post is. I wouldn't care if it weren't borderline hostile in tone. 

Like...if the point you're making is that this isn't real life and it's just a video game, maybe chill a bit yourself, too? 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. It's okay to disagree.

But enough with insulting people's intelligence or saying that their posts are BS/nonsense -- stick to the merits of the discussion and don't take things so personally...no one should care enough about DU to get angry. 

This game is over

i played that game was different and now you just eve-online of it

I stopped playing eve online I will stop playing Dual Universe

2 years of work in vain

it was easier to copy eve source code

11 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Just from myself, you would have to get five paying customers to get ahead. Not just returning players that have already payed their dues during KS/Patronage and now have a ton of DAC or lifetime subscriptions, actually paying customers now.

You are going to pay for 5 accounts after launch?  You where the same guy that tried to use 1 account as the reason to be upset.  That's $75 a month...

on an unfinished game whos odds are not looking good.  $75... a month.

Anyone can spend their money anyway they want.  But when you justify to yourself that $75 a month, to have an advantage in unfinished game, is a good idea... no one should every take your advise on weather the game wipes or doesn't.

You are not leaving the game, wipe or no wipe.  You are coming in hot, ready or not.

4 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

on an unfinished game whos odds are not looking good.  $75... a month.

may I ask you what you've  spend since beta start ?

37 minutes ago, Hazaatan said:

you anti-wipers and not whining about losing 'everything'

pro wipers also have their reasons

- no sub, no *losses & hate inequality

*money&time

20 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

For someone complaining about "whining", that's all this post is. I wouldn't care if it weren't borderline hostile in tone. 

Like...if the point you're making is that this isn't real life and it's just a video game, maybe chill a bit yourself, too? 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. It's okay to disagree.

But enough with insulting people's intelligence or saying that their posts are BS/nonsense -- stick to the merits of the discussion and don't take things so personally...no one should care enough about DU to get angry. 

His post was meant to call me crazy because I claim that knowledge is advantage enough in a video game.  His post was not an opinion piece.  

We are all whining, but whining over losing your massive unfair advantage is the worst kind.  

You are also whining, welcome to the conversation.

17 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Can I still get the suit...?

To be honest I am not entirely sure. I believe that particular suit (Alpha Team Outfit) was intended for founder accounts but there is always a chance NQ could expand the scope and offer it to supporters as they also participated in the alpha phase. Either way we know there will eventually be other "non-exclusive outfits" since quite a few were teased on the DU twitter over the years.