19 Territory Flowers

Gideon77

Problem:

The current adjacency bonus for mining units and container linking distance, causes the best mining profit to come from a 19 territory flower arrangement. And since Market 6 is where the ore is sold the most, this means that the best placement of that arrangement is near Market 6. This reduces the number of players that the game can support before degradation.

Solution:

One's first thought might be to do away with the adjacency bonus, but this still leaves the flower arrangement as ideal because you can still store all the ore in a single container setup without having to transport it there, thus reducing the ore gathering work. So it wouldn't really solve anything.

A more ideal solution would be to allow mining units to be placed on only a limited number of territories per celestial body. This will force the players to spread out in the DU universe. Limiting it to 1 mining territory per celestial body would cause the most spreading out and thus the most traveling, exploring, and having stuff to do. And it would still allow those desiring to remain in the safe zone to get quite a few mining territories going (probably all that they can get). Higher amounts of territories would allow for more convenience at the expense of congestion and reduced player count abilities.

A possible way (but certainly not the only way) to limit the number of minable territories could be to have a new type of territory unit that allows mining, and then limit how many of them can be placed per celestial body. This will also still allow any player or organization that wants to build a big base covering several territories to do so.

55 minutes ago, Distinct Mint said:

So the community is just making up problems now?

Yeah some game logic seems to be misaligned in the OPs thought process. There are limits to what one player can do, and what players want to do. Sure you can min, max but for how long?

28 minutes ago, space_man said:

It's not a feeling, it's fact. Every major update causes lots of players to leave. It also brings in some, but it's a trend since .23

1 player in, 5 players out... NQ math. 🤣

20 hours ago, Gideon77 said:

Problem:

The current adjacency bonus for mining units and container linking distance, causes the best mining profit to come from a 19 territory flower arrangement. And since Market 6 is where the ore is sold the most, this means that the best placement of that arrangement is near Market 6. This reduces the number of players that the game can support before degradation.

Solution:

One's first thought might be to do away with the adjacency bonus, but this still leaves the flower arrangement as ideal because you can still store all the ore in a single container setup without having to transport it there, thus reducing the ore gathering work. So it wouldn't really solve anything.

A more ideal solution would be to allow mining units to be placed on only a limited number of territories per celestial body. This will force the players to spread out in the DU universe. Limiting it to 1 mining territory per celestial body would cause the most spreading out and thus the most traveling, exploring, and having stuff to do. And it would still allow those desiring to remain in the safe zone to get quite a few mining territories going (probably all that they can get). Higher amounts of territories would allow for more convenience at the expense of congestion and reduced player count abilities.

A possible way (but certainly not the only way) to limit the number of minable territories could be to have a new type of territory unit that allows mining, and then limit how many of them can be placed per celestial body. This will also still allow any player or organization that wants to build a big base covering several territories to do so.

adjacency to M6 is of little cosequence. Concentration of occupied tiles on alioth is more of question of practicality than question of uniqueness of resources. Most players build their first base on Alioth/Sanct, because that's where tutorial spits them out and ties them down with early positive endorphins from first ship/base. Alioth is really not that interesting mining wise.  As the need for resources grows with players they venture out and create mining outposts, but very few choose to stay on outer planets because there's simply not enough players total to support both supply and a demand side of industrial base on more than one planet. At its playebase peak in the early beta besides alioth, madis and theoma has small but for the most part quite active local markets.  As the playerbase dwidled those markets withered away.

As for mining territories themselves, there's plenty good concentrated spots that remain unclaimed, if one bothers enough to fly around a bit with a triscanner or three.  No need to put more limits beyond the hard cap we have with maxed out calibration charge regeneration rate.  Flooring it all to 1 tile per celestial body would have been outright insane, and certaily do nothing for population distribution, simply because there wouldn't be a population left anywhere.

You're trying to address something the root cause of which is someplace else.

I personally do have a few tiles right next to M6, yet i never bothered to build or mine anything of consequence on them. All my mining territories are outside safezone,  and i haven't sold any ore on M6 for at least 8 months.  Yet i come to M6 daily to truck other peoples' junk in and out, while dropping off my factory produce and pickup whatever ores i might be running short on.  Or at least i did till this whole wipe thing blew right back NQ's face.  Broken radar not helping the matters either. 

limits placed in games today create new problems tomorrow... 

This is easy, the whole heat map approach to seeding ore needs adjustment. Ore is so wildly easy to find now it is joke. There should not be hotspots more like mega node distribution where you actually need to get lucky and hit the actual hex. Now I need to hit 1 of 20 hexs in an area to sort out where the best hexes are or are not. 

If NQ wipes all useful hexs will be gone in days at most because they are so simple to find. 

8 hours ago, Endstar said:

limits placed in games today create new problems tomorrow... 

This is easy, the whole heat map approach to seeding ore needs adjustment. Ore is so wildly easy to find now it is joke. There should not be hotspots more like mega node distribution where you actually need to get lucky and hit the actual hex. Now I need to hit 1 of 20 hexs in an area to sort out where the best hexes are or are not. 

If NQ wipes all useful hexs will be gone in days at most because they are so simple to find. 

Post wipe, they will bring in an update that adds territory warfare, its the only option they have (besides nerfing the RNG) to not payout on every single tile. I also hope that they add larger roids, and mining lasers, but we'll see if they ever stop working on all of the major PvP updates, to finally give some love to PvE.