Not saying anything about the wipe is worse than any possible answer.

G33K33

Just my personal opinion, but not saying anything about the wipe is leaving paying customers in an uncertain situation that can quickly turn into disaffection to the game: this project has so much potential that I feel sad in seeing it wasted like this: NQ we deserve to know what your decision is now.

Well, before they lock this thread, because it's just another duplicate, I have to say, NQ has lost a lot of the positive community, many for a long or even indefinite amount of time. They know this, they just can't say it. 

Now not only do they have to get ready for release, they have to figure out how to rebuild the community. Which means, give us a roadmap, and stuff to look forward to... like DAC (oh hey Blazemonger). 

Edited by space_man

It's just bad business -- and I really wonder where their new CEO is and what they are doing because it seems like nothing has changed. 

If they believe release will be a smashing success when they've sabotaged their own beta testing at the moment it's needed most, they are more arrogant than I thought. 

Do the wipe. Use that opportunity to see how FTUE scales with beta players, because I'm not at all convinced that mass-spawning outposts was load tested. I mean, did they learn from beta? That ocean of abandoned speeders? Giving every new player a permanent hex and an outpost might be a better FTUE but surely they see that they're repeating the same issue, right...? 

Give betas this head start to turn this into a "soft release" -- attracting new players over time instead of all at once on release day 0 (which will implode their poorly tested and optimized infrastructure). 

It's like they've never released software before (well as a company they actually haven't). 

20 minutes ago, space_man said:

Well, before they lock this thread, because it's just another duplicate, I have to say, NQ has lost a lot of the positive community, many for a long or even indefinite amount of time. They know this, they just can't say it. 

The community manager has already done this officially with the creation of this thread: 

in response to the original thread with over 1000 replies. 

Sorta funny, that after locking down at least 1 thread created by the community discussing the wipe, NQ's community manager creates another....
or how about mentioning it at the start of the Ask Aphelia Not-Really-A-Podcast-Podcast.

NQ has stated their "pro" reasons for a wipe are gameplay based(removal of schematics, cleanup of the world, etc), though have also stated in the past that any reasons for a wipe would be of technical in nature. With all the server issues it's pretty clear the real reason is technical. If it was strictly a decision based on game mechanics it'd be easy to make the decision "now" vs kicking the can down the road... all while the servers cry for the sweet, sweet, wipe of death. Which ultimately, wiping due to server performance will just lead to this issue all over again post-launch, and they're aware of that and are trying to fix it with the live server data on hand. It's tricky, so trying to give them some slack for that.

Athena was the last major patch before launch, as NQ has stated. So it should mean they have a plan for launching the game, and should be able to fully communicate it to their backers... the fact they haven't is indicative that they're not 100% sure internally of the direction, timeline, or details relating to launch... as they've stated themselves. Which is concerning, least to me.

The pressures to launch the game vs dev resources are in a battle right now, and hope NQ has the talent & time to give DU the launch it deserves... and to fulfil the promises made to backers and players during beta, for example, compensating players for schematics if/when they change the system as was stated in 2020 after NQ apologized for their release. The one thing NQ should NOT DO, is shut down community discussion around the subject in the their self created drought of information. 

8 hours ago, space_man said:

they have to figure out how to rebuild the community. Which means, give us a roadmap, and stuff to look forward to...

OMG I am laughing so much I can't breath..  uhuhuhu.. you want..NQ.. to make a .. a.. roadmap.. with like. .decisions. and say things that are for sure.. and..and actually  follow it..!? I mean.. NQ..  stop! Your killing me!  stop!

6 hours ago, NotReally ApheIia said:

Which ultimately, wiping due to server performance will just lead to this issue all over again post-launch, and they're aware of that and are trying to fix it with the live server data on hand. It's tricky, so trying to give them some slack for that.

I get that it isn't easy....but this isn't the point where they should be doing major performance fixes.

Small optimizations? Sure...but even that is risky between the last major update and release. 

They've had 6 years to build their tech, but there's still major performance issues both client and server side...that isn't great. If the few players and their spread-out constructs aren't healthy for the server, I bet it'll do fine when thousands of outposts are spawned right next to each other then inevitably abandoned! 😅

I wonder if DU will ever "go gold" or if they will be pushing changes right up until the end.

Everything seems to be in place for an exact repeat of public beta where performance implodes because nothing was tested at scale and where an ocean of abandoned constructs clog things for months until NQ realizes that their design doesn't scale. I am very skeptical that their core, fundamental tech will work at scale even with mining being ripped out. 

13 hours ago, space_man said:

Now not only do they have to get ready for release, they have to figure out how to rebuild the community. Which means, give us a roadmap, and stuff to look forward to...

You's certainly right but the problem is that NQ has no awareness of any of this, they do not consider these things important. In general, they do not view the community as a priority and have actually said as much.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Oh, yes.. they have said that communication with us is not the main focus for the CM team as they have other (and apparently more important) things to do and not enough time..

I admit I've wondered what it is the CM team does...the only consistent interaction I've seen from them is a few-minute weekly podcast that answers 4-5 questions that few people care about.

Not much activity on reddit. Not much activity on Twitter. Not much activity here. How is it they "don't have enough time" when there's virtually zero engagement in any channel...?

Are they making CMs do support tickets? 

I feel like NQ has a bit of an arrogance issue...they are the ones that decided to run a beta program and then ignore (or even resent) feedback. They love to complain about how "indie" they are, but they don't use the resources they have very well. They can't blame the lack of engagement on a lack of resources or time, they just don't want to do it.

The end result is that they don't have an objective view of their game and refuse to believe players when we tell them what's broken. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, blundertwink said:

I feel like NQ has a bit of an arrogance issue..

While it may appear that way, I don not think so. With all due respect and no malice intended, they suffer from a "being French issue"

NQ has many traits that are pretty well known and common for French companies, the ever present drive to discuss and "debate" every little detail at lenght, even when totally obvious what needs to be done..

7 hours ago, Emptiness said:

They're actually doing a full wipe? I might actually start playing again if that's the case, when it happens.

They haven't told us one way or another, but I think at this point everyone is just assuming that there will be a full wipe.

Good to know at least one person will be playing, your name may turn to be prophetic though.  I'll probably stop if there's a wipe.  You can have my stuff.  Oh wait ...

havent beeen around for a while,  but i do pop in every once in a while to see if any progress has been made to this mismanaged mess, gotta say im rather impressed by the financial resilience of this "company" , they sure have a talent to rake cash together from god knows where to stay afloat for as long as  they did, and keep this charade goin with whatever mediocre story this crowd wants to hear.  

On 5/27/2022 at 12:26 AM, blazemonger said:

Oh, yes.. they have said that communication with us is not the main focus for the CM team as they have other (and apparently more important) things to do and not enough time..

It'd only make sense if they were working on another project internally that has yet to be announced, and as stated by their current CEO in non DU communications relating to the company.... they have multiple projects in the works. Make of that what you will.

Not to say it will ever see the light of day, especially before launch of DU officially. NQ knows they can't announce another project while their current is in rough shape and is being released, but that doesn't stop them from prototyping/testing other projects... but those shouldn't require CM's to work on them.

Wish I could be paid to produce a 7 minute podcast every week and meme about cats on discord, that's a sweetheart deal if I've seen one. #respeck

On 5/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, blazemonger said:

You's certainly right but the problem is that NQ has no awareness of any of this, they do not consider these things important. In general, they do not view the community as a priority and have actually said as much.

I agree. 

On 5/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, blazemonger said:

While it may appear that way, I don not think so. With all due respect and in malic intended, they suffer from a "being French issue"

NQ has many traits that are pretty well known and common for French companies, the ever present drive to discuss and "debate" every little detail at lenght, even when totally obvious what needs to be done..

what is your view of the totally obvious? 

1 hour ago, space_man said:

what is your view of the totally obvious? 

It was more a general remark, The French have a habit of needing to debate/argue/discuss something even when the outcome is kind of known in advance.. It's something I have had to "deal with" on occasion personally ;)

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

It was more a general remark, The French have a habit of needing to debate/argue/discuss something even when the outcome is kind of known in advance.. It's something I have had to "deal with" on occasion personally ;)

Yes, the french state administration is still debating what to do about the invasion from a certain neighbouring country that overwhelmed their lands some 70 years ago ... I hear a massive "strategic retreat" is in the talks.

J'oublier que les studios de jeux vidéos des autres nationalités sont TOUS tellement plus efficient que NOVAQUARK, vos argumentations atteignent des sommets du ridicule sur ce fil.

Bref NQ est NQ ce n'est pas parce qu'il sont français qu'ils sont spécialement mauvais.

Dans d'autres jeux spatial nous avons également pu voir l'incompétence de certain studio à gérer leurs communautés. (SC, Starbase ...), rien a voir avec le fait d'être français ou non.