Space Combat and indestructible voxel strands

Palad1n

Currently, space combat is nothing more than a spread sheet sim in which you have a "periscope" type of screen to view your target that is 50-100+ Kilometers away, and then fire a barrage of missiles and other long range weaponry. Then you watch your tiny periscope screen of the ship take "hits" and at some point decide to stop firing. 

Next you fly up to the now heavily damaged / destroyed ship and try and loot and salvage whatever you can from it. 

I recently tried a little bit of dog fighting, but found it to be quite janky and a frustrating experience because again, the game engine seems very limited on handling hit locations while updating moving ships. 

So my question, what happened to actual space battles being close and within visual range of other ships? Dog fighting doesn't seem to be a real thing. The combat systems feel very clunky as a result, and most likely due to the limitations of the game engine itself since this is a 100% voxel game. 

Also noticed that ships are still being destroyed instantly when flying in lower atmo of planets in which these long voxel poles are simply not being rendered in and all you get is a message that your ship has been destroyed and then requires a GM to intervene to fix it and also bring the ship down from it's now fixed location of where it was destroyed. 

Will these issues be addressed by the time 1.0 release and full wipe?

These dog fighting close range ship battles have never existed in this game, only inside NQs little falsely advertised trailers.
And that is why I called them out for it back then already, as did other PvPers.
This is false advertising and people like you fell for it. This kinda star wars dogfight in space stuff was never a thing and wouldn't even work well with the flight model we have ingame (a fairly realistic one).

Edited by Metsys
edit reasons are stupid, I edit however I want

This is .. sigh.. just yet another example of subpar code and features implemented in the game by NQ.

Low latency data transfer in games (and in general) is a SOLVED problem and has been so for ages, even for MMO's.

So regardless of how much voxel data the game needs to stream to the player clients, there should be a separate data stream containing critical low latency data like construct and player positions etc. Meaning that even if the construct is not finished loading and looks like melted cheese, there is no technical reason why positional data should be lagging also. Other then a bad network code implementation that is.

17 hours ago, Palad1n said:

Also noticed that ships are still being destroyed instantly when flying in lower atmo of planets in which these long voxel poles are simply not being rendered in and all you get is a message that your ship has been destroyed and then requires a GM to intervene to fix it and also bring the ship down from it's now fixed location of where it was destroyed.

Isn't that a form of pvp? People spend a ton of time building those large ship capture arays! If players can't retrieve the ships by themselves from the beanstalk, they'll eventually should be salvageable by the tile owner... 😉

Or is only pew-pew pvp allowed?

Note: I do not own any beanstalks...