Alien Core Battle - Other side perspective

Honvik

Note - Firstly we thought Alien Cores in lockdown don't produce items but apparently they do.  It still takes a significant amount of time to get it into lockdown but anyway not sure if thats correct or not.   A group of us have randomly been hitting cores on and off due to numbers.  Secondly from asking NQ we wrongly assumed if the Core/Base shield goes down and we capture it then the base shield goes up and we capture it

The Preparation

With the majority of the PvP base in Legion plans went on behind to secretly arm non-PvPer's to a huge event before the impending wipe decision, a lot of our PvP'ers have paused with NQ's post about a wipe.   For props Deadrank/Caerus contacted with a potential idea to gather a group of orgs and equally arm, provide logistics support for one final event but also a good way to give NQ feedback.  They had built warp sleds to carry vessels and other orgs built ships and poked their non-PvP players so a very raw and quick into PvP for many.

The Day

The day had finally come to give it a go.  Prep was completed and the gathering point confirmed.  Forces from multiple orgs were ready and an rough plan was formed.  A fake attack was made (maybe more too) but the bulk of the fleet was near the Alien Core.  Orgs/Groups were split into comms with A 'Siege wing' sole role to target the core (Reality is they should have just shot ships now what we know).  We knew Legion potentially had a 'Warp Beacon' Nearby so knew it had to be as quick as possible as unfortunately if your the attacker you really are limited compared to the defender who could keep warping more ships in.  We had around 30 people to start with which is a mammoth amount of people (this increased slightly as more joined in) but one of us was dropping off 'decoy' ships just to mess up the radar (they even had weapon looking stuff on them!).

Transponders were broken still as NQ did not fix it in time so this was even more of a challenge with a huge list, people new to scripts/Lua.  

The fight begun with one of us blasting in to spot a couple of Legion Ships.  We did call out core ID's to target but this was a newly formed force so no simple task at all.  I personally was chasing a L ship for a period and swung back to the core to assist.  The L cores of our group begun battering the Base shield with others targeting legion ships (core ID's).  Our channel had the bulk of people and it was a little chaotic.  I had personally split off with a few Legion ships and chased an L core which I successfully Cored and with more on radar for me it was to quickly get off grid to vent my shield (was low).  I rejoined the fold closely and we were still at that point successfully coring Legion allied ships but equally ours were slowly being popping off, then rapidly more and more Legion ships appeared.

The tide had totally turned quickly.  Multiple ships, multiple double/triple seater ships (A lot of ours were single seater things) all targeting people with ease.  Some allied forces had already begun to flee unbeknown to the core group but the Alien core shield was still going down.   It was obvious without the people and ships it was only a matter of time before it was a full retreat.

It was at this point a few ships named the same as Legion and strafed into the fold to keep hitting the core.  The shield was close to breaking point.  It was at this time at 1% shield I failed to escape and at 1.8SU away one final shot hit me and BOOM.............  I did however exit in time to float about in space.  I managed to fly to the core in case we needed to repair to capture it.

At this time Lovoda finally made it on 'grid' his ship opened up onto the Alien Core and BOOM the core died.  A few of us frantically tried to repair the core and they did so we thought huzzar! we won the day.  Sadly this was not the case in fact Legion blew it up within minutes (we did delete some plasma and took 1 that's it).  Thinking it was a bug one of us kept coming back with a ship and kept re-coring it or we flew to a wreck and reactivated old ships that had cores stored in their containers.  Honestly we thought it was a bug so kept going!.

Running out of throw away ships, wrecks to use we called it a day.  I guess we thought wrongly if the core died, repaired its yours with a shield.   So its good feedback to know that is not the case.

Anyway this was a blast but that was the last made hussar from the group.  Reality is you equally needed a trained PvP group to combat another PvP group so well played to Legion it was an absolute blast and more importantly the SERVERS HELD UP WITHOUT MAJOR LAG!!!!!!!!

Thank you to all who made it happen and turned up.

NQ has lots to do but this certainly has given food for thought

Honvik

Premier of the Empire

Thanks for your feedback,

Actually the alien core system is clearly too easy for attackers, as you said, you are all in place before us, you can all focus the shield and core it and you will just need to hold 10 minutes, exact same time for a combat lock who block our warp too.
Keeping us stuck on another core is smart and this clearly supports the above argument.
In addition, if the only possibility to win was to burst down the core, repair it and the shield was instant up... That removes all the interest of the PVP fight, just burst down the shield and even if the defender is prepared he will never be able to defend the core, because the game does not allow you to prevent a shot, so everything will be played on a lot of afk people next to the core waiting to fix it, really not enviable as gameplay.
About the alien core production during a lockdown... It can't be different actually, without a lockdown free timer after a lockdown, you can chain them and totally cancel their production in your case.

Logistically, mustering a large fleet to hit a deep save target within a 20 min window is VERY challenging, so part of me thinks the time should go up , but I can see on the defenders side not wanting to sit there forever, every time the combat timer goes off.