If the elements weren't so ugly we would use them outside the ship.

FatRillos

With all these changes leading to having to have every element exposed,  why not do another pass on elements. 

They are ugly AF. That's why everyone covers them with voxal. 

So the art department must be complaining that no one is using their oversized terrible looking elements. So "let's force them to expose them so everyone is forced to look at my work and I can be validated"

On 5/17/2022 at 5:45 PM, FatRillos said:

With all these changes leading to having to have every element exposed,  why not do another pass on elements. 

So the art department must be complaining that no one is using their oversized terrible looking elements. So "let's force them to expose them so everyone is forced to look at my work and I can be validated"

That's the thing, NQ doesn't really have one, they're purchasing all their assets from external contractors. So any changes means $$ NQ doesn't have to spare, cause whatever they had left, they spent on pre-launch ad campaign.  ( whatever good that'll do)

I don't think they're that ugly, but it doesn't matter, I put them on the outside because that is where they belong due to possible obstruction. It's nice having future proofed constructs that I don't have to redesign much.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, FatRillos said:

especially space brakes. perhaps I wouldn't have a problem with them if you didn't need 50 of them on large ships, but they do and that sucks.

I wish you could designate an area and assign a control feature to it, Mass will increase the performance/stats.

e.g a nicely shaped curved bump on the top of the hull could be assigned with the Radar mechanic and voila you have a radar, with an NQ assigned texture applied, so you know it's been assigned as a Radar

Three groups of 3x3 on the rear of the hull assigned to the Engine trait will be your engines along with the Engine Texture.

Models are great but they provide no flexibility in the shape and functionality of the hulls that can be designed as the 3D models determine the overall shape, or at least the minimum size.

Cargo container sizes for statics is adequate, the same dimensions on a ship is bizarre.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:08 AM, Bazzy_505 said:

That's the thing, NQ doesn't really have one, they're purchasing all their assets from external contractors. 

This and also, the team which created the elements we have now, pretty much unchanged from the pre alpha start, has in fact mostly left NQ and left around the kickstarter in fact. Most of them went to another studio under the Ubisoft umbrella in 2016/2017

From the way the modifications NQ has made to specifically hte GFX for elements look (they are terrible) it shdoul be clear that the current team working on these has either no experience or is indeed contracted on a very low budget to do this work.. Pretty much all the gfx changes we got with Athena are of lesser quality than what we had and I have no idea why these changes were made as they were a waste of resources and funding.

4 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

From the way the modifications NQ has made to specifically hte GFX for elements look (they are terrible) it shdoul be clear that the current team working on these has either no experience or is indeed contracted on a very low budget to do this work.. Pretty much all the gfx changes we got with Athena are of lesser quality than what we had and I have no idea why these changes were made as they were a waste of resources and funding.

Yes the changes in the recent past were mostly limited to changing colormaps on the very same models they have had before, not even touching normal or specular.

The shader changes on engine exhaust for both space and atmo engines are a complete disaster. Aestetics aside, the goal of science fiction is to interpolate future events/technologies based on contemporary knowledge.  What we have now in Athena, must, to anyone with the slightest hint of understanding of physics, appear comical at best. But i guess it's only fitting, now that flight model itself has shed the last few shreds of its neetonian heritage it had left. 

2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Then who are all the dozens of employees at NQ? Not software developers that's for sure.

A simple look at LinkedIN will show you NQ is a massively top heavy company with an insane amount of upper/middle management as well as "leads".. 

41 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Who are all those managers managing?

That is a very good question indeed

It is also my opinion that some within the NQ structure are very good at keeping their role/job even when they do not actually deliver. There is people in roles they "grew into" who likely are in well over their heads, something quite common for small studios expanding quickly in a short time. And with a lack of a project manager, some may well have established a dependency on their work for the development to progress.

I had hope that with the removal of JC, a good few of his collaborators/enablers would also go and that seems to not have happened. So, in many ways, the "JC way" is alive and well within NQ.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

A simple look at LinkedIN will show you NQ is a massively top heavy company with an insane amount of upper/middle management as well as "leads".. 

While it's hard to say how much of that LinkedIN clutter is up to date, but at a glance it looks very much like another Turbine Games, which started out as very lean, almost flat org structure and about decade in turned into army of those who watch those who watch.  Where 2/3 of staff was very good at keeping their job, and not good at much anything else; with the remaining 1/3 working on underfunded and understaffed projects.