local channel in deep space

Kormolos

Hi @Kormolos!

Local channels are made for short range exchanges, like a tile for example.
In your case, you can create a private channel with /join <channel_name> and share it with your teammates even if they are not from the same organization.

I wish we could see who is within range on the chat window. Like a list of names on the side that we can quickly click on to message or add to channels. Otherwise you have to be on top of someone just to be close enough to see their name and know who’s around. 

While private chat channels certainly allow for communication between allies in space, they are not terribly useful for either pirates who may be more interested in getting their pray to pay a ransom, or people being pirated that may want to try and bribe their attackers to leave them be.

7 hours ago, Izon2887 said:

I wish we could see who is within range on the chat window. Like a list of names on the side that we can quickly click on to message or add to channels. Otherwise you have to be on top of someone just to be close enough to see their name and know who’s around. 

In my experience both as an FC and forward scout, a local coms channel that lists everyone in an area makes combat engagements and related activities really boring. The instant feedback and wealth of information it provides is just too powerful. Instead I suggest a slight modification, whereby players only show up in local chat if they choose to speak (similar to WH space in eve online). This still accomplishes your goal but also adds a lot more unpredictability which in turn can lead to hilarious situations. Now players are forced to think. Are those radar contacts enemy reinforcements? Alliance members? Aliens? A third party looking to party? Are they using multi-crewed ships? Are they skilled veterans or a bunch of newcomers? Is it just one guy chucking out random unmanned constructs to try and distract/intimidate you?

2 hours ago, Msoul said:

In my experience both as an FC and forward scout, a local coms channel that lists everyone in an area makes combat engagements and related activities really boring. The instant feedback and wealth of information it provides is just too powerful. Instead I suggest a slight modification, whereby players only show up in local chat if they choose to speak (similar to WH space in eve online). This still accomplishes your goal but also adds a lot more unpredictability which in turn can lead to hilarious situations. Now players are forced to think. Are those radar contacts enemy reinforcements? Alliance members? Aliens? A third party looking to party? Are they using multi-crewed ships? Are they skilled veterans or a bunch of newcomers? Is it just one guy chucking out random unmanned constructs to try and distract/intimidate you?

The game doesn't currently show who's in chat anyways, and you do make a good point for keeping it that way. 

the idea is not for contact my team mate. it s for i can contact unknows people in range 2SU around me; like if i m pirate for i can ask ransom before shoot and kill. or if i m patroller anti pirate for i can ask identity of the people on the asteroid.... etc

A good idea would be, you can click a ship, and there is an option below the identification and the rest, to *chat/dm/ship msg broadcast or whatever name * and it opens a chat widget that shows up separately from the current chat window. so this is a very easy way to chat with incoming ship, it has to show up in a new chat window, so both parties can see it easily. very good and engaging idea.

1 hour ago, Lockon said:

A good idea would be, you can click a ship, and there is an option below the identification and the rest, to *chat/dm/ship msg broadcast or whatever name * and it opens a chat widget that shows up separately from the current chat window. so this is a very easy way to chat with incoming ship, it has to show up in a new chat window, so both parties can see it easily. very good and engaging idea.

Agree 100%. A way to "hail" another ship is almost required for game like this.

Also agree with OP. useful for Mayday as well as a general 2 or 3 SU broadcast.