Remove warp cells

LeoCora

From what NQ said in alpha....warp cells were a way to make warp very costly... so not everyone was doing it.... but i dont think the game has turned out in a way that supports that goal/vision..... i think making warp very cheap would let people spread out around the system more.. make trade between planets more doable and allow more people to travel and take part in pvp in a larger range of ships (big heavy ones are currenlty too expensive to keep warping around)..... maybe there could be no warp zones/nebulae that you need to navigate around....those areas could be where the alien cores were... or high value mission drop points etc.... make it so you can warp to a beacon.. then slowboat the rest of the way to your target... 20/30 mins.... i think it could make the game a lot lot better.

Maybe then (possibly future change) we could deploy 'no-warp' bubbles that persist for x time... forcing people to drop out of warp.. so warp still has some unknown risk. 

It might be that warp ranges are less.. so you have to hop, cooldown, hop. that might land you in dangerous space... but you could use cells to remove the hops...so if you wanted to you could.. options.

10 hours ago, RugesV said:

Warp cells are already cheap. You can warp t1 around and still make a profit. We regularly warped 20kt of cargo around multiple times. 

If you want to do it cheaper, slow boat it.

Its not about making profit.  If you re-read the op its about connecting the game up properly... most of the outer worlds are relatively empty because of the cost of going there.  Also for pvp, the cost of moving armoured ships around (which have been make redudant now with the radar changes) is prohibitive.  Warp cells hold back the potential of the game space whilst adding very little if any benefit. 

Warp cells actually add allot. People have their entire game play based off the production of warpcells.  It's one of the few game play things that actually removes resources from the game. And it makes people choose between risky/slow/free and safe/fast/not free. And if you took the cost out of it why would anyone ever choose risky/slow over safe/fast. 

I mean even with the current cost of warpcells I would be hard pressed to find a reason to slow boat instead of warp.

Although one of the things we do is have a warp beacon just inside the alioth safe zone. Warp from our station at outer planet with a super light ship (has 30 medium containers worth of space and only weighs 400t) warp it to the beacon station. Then use a proper ship to showboat it to planet. 

1 hour ago, RugesV said:

Warp cells actually add allot. People have their entire game play based off the production of warpcells.  It's one of the few game play things that actually removes resources from the game. And it makes people choose between risky/slow/free and safe/fast/not free. And if you took the cost out of it why would anyone ever choose risky/slow over safe/fast. 

I mean even with the current cost of warpcells I would be hard pressed to find a reason to slow boat instead of warp.

Although one of the things we do is have a warp beacon just inside the alioth safe zone. Warp from our station at outer planet with a super light ship (has 30 medium containers worth of space and only weighs 400t) warp it to the beacon station. Then use a proper ship to showboat it to planet. 

You are still thinking too narrow...the game is broader than just hauling to sell .  As I said...look at how the game is now...very few people bother with the outer worlds because of the cost...

On 5/18/2022 at 2:45 AM, LeoCora said:

... Also for pvp, the cost of moving armoured ships around (which have been make redudant now with the radar changes) is prohibitive...

A lot of pvp-groups disagree with you, and burn egregious amounts of cells scouting for people to shoot.

As for there being a lot of people on Alioth... If I had to guess it is more because travel between planets is easy, and resources are relatively close. Near about anything that is for sale can be found on Alioth, so all the buyers go there (in turn attracting even more sellers). Look at EVE's star-map, you'll see a lot of systems with next to no activity (even in high-sec space), but Jita will always be a crowded mess because that's where people have decided to buy and sell their stuff. Alioth is our Jita.

On top of that, if someone needs to go to any other planet in the system it is only one jump away. It is functionally the center of the system, from there you can go anywhere if you want.

New players also tend to collect there, as they are not limited to just operating in their own sanct/haven tiles and the shuttles allow them to go back and forth without having to learn/manage interplanetary flight.

Cell-cost is fine. If you want people to spread out then you need to give them a reason to do so.

4 hours ago, Taelessael said:

A lot of pvp-groups disagree with you, and burn egregious amounts of cells scouting for people to shoot.

As for there being a lot of people on Alioth... If I had to guess it is more because travel between planets is easy, and resources are relatively close. Near about anything that is for sale can be found on Alioth, so all the buyers go there (in turn attracting even more sellers). Look at EVE's star-map, you'll see a lot of systems with next to no activity (even in high-sec space), but Jita will always be a crowded mess because that's where people have decided to buy and sell their stuff. Alioth is our Jita.

On top of that, if someone needs to go to any other planet in the system it is only one jump away. It is functionally the center of the system, from there you can go anywhere if you want.

New players also tend to collect there, as they are not limited to just operating in their own sanct/haven tiles and the shuttles allow them to go back and forth without having to learn/manage interplanetary flight.

Cell-cost is fine. If you want people to spread out then you need to give them a reason to do so.

Which orgs.....there are not 'a lot of PvP orgs' in the game..nobody is warping armoured ships around at the moment.only light nanos.. 

The reason people don't set up on outer planets is because it's not cost effective to make stuff there and bring it back to Alioth to sell as the costs involve mean you can't compete with that market.

If I could move goods freely around the system I would live on Teoma.  

EVE has free warp...I don't think there would be as much movement around if warp was expensive (relatively) as it is in DU. Cells are cheaper at the moment but it's still expensive to shift heavy ships and goods around...and it's not even the cost...it's the 'why would I when I can just stay near Alioth' mentality.  Producers would move away from Alioth if they could freely warp their goods to markets at Alioth. 

I don't see a good reason to completely remove and replace warp cells when it could just be added on to with efficiency talents or warp drive variants or something.

9 hours ago, LeoCora said:

Which orgs.....there are not 'a lot of PvP orgs' in the game..nobody is warping armoured ships around at the moment.only light nanos.. 

I keep seeing Legion and CVA trading alien cores in the map, so I'd be willing to bet they are atm. I've also seen it brought up several times in an assortment of threads (pre athena) when someone was pointing out that pvp is not risk/cost free in response to whatever the anti-pvp crowd has posted. 

The reason people don't set up on outer planets is because it's not cost effective to make stuff there and bring it back to Alioth to sell as the costs involve mean you can't compete with that market.

Funny, I seem to be doing just fine harvesting my T2/T3 on Lacobus and bringing it back to Alioth.

EVE has free warp...I don't think there would be as much movement around if warp was expensive (relatively) as it is in DU.

EVE is on a different scale than DU. Its a good example of how people congregate via their own choice because within high-sec said choice is normally the only limiting factor.

If you want an EVE example of people spending money to move around, look at cyno/jump. People do that plenty, they are more restricted by fear of losing the associated craft than they are by the use of fuel.