Pocket Ship rules

Gideon77

Where we are having to operate in space more and more, may I suggest that the pocket ship (compaction ship) rules be updated accordingly. Namely:

- Allow space engines. (Still max of 3 engines total.)

- Allow a max of 1 space fuel tank and 1 atmo fuel tank, both max size S.

- And perhaps reduce the max size from 20 t to something more reasonable like 5 t or even 10 t.

This will make the pocket ship good for use no matter where you happen to be. Regardless whether it is a moon, an asteroid, a space station, or somewhere else.

Mainly because (for instance) if you crash into a space station and need to go to market 6 to get scrap, you need space engines while in space, and atmo engines to land at market 6. If you have either/or, and you are traveling from Alioth to a space station, which would you bring? If you bring the atmo one, and crash into the space station, it is useless, and if you bring the space one and crash on your return trip, it is useless. Since living at a space station for a while, I have seen the complete uselessness of the current pocket ships in a space environment. And this IS a space game after all.

As for "rich people" having a "pocket rocket", they have those now, and they don't need to compact them, nor do they probably care whether or not they can. The whole idea of the pocket ship is to facilitate emergency repairs if you crash, but it fails at that task if it can't get you from your resurrection node to the market and then to your ship. I would rather have pocket ships do their intended tasks, then to prevent "rich people" from compacting their "pocket rockets".

12 hours ago, Gideon77 said:

Where we are having to operate in space more and more, may I suggest that the pocket ship (compaction ship) rules be updated accordingly. Namely:

- Allow space engines. (Still max of 3 engines total.)

- Allow a max of 1 space fuel tank and 1 atmo fuel tank, both max size S.

- And perhaps reduce the max size from 20 t to something more reasonable like 5 t or even 10 t.

This will make the pocket ship good for use no matter where you happen to be. Regardless whether it is a moon, an asteroid, a space station, or somewhere else.

Just allowing space engines and tanks as well as increasing the allowed mass would do; NQ forgot to balance pocket rockets with the increased element mass introduced in Athena,

As an example, I can't fill my fuel tank without going over the allowed 20T.

2 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Just allowing space engines and tanks as well as increasing the allowed mass would do; NQ forgot to balance pocket rockets with the increased element mass introduced in Athena,

As an example, I can't fill my fuel tank without going over the allowed 20T.

I'm amazed. My ship that I use both in atmosphere and in space, and travel to other planets with, is only 4T with a full fuel tank. And it easily does 800km/h in atmo and 50km/h in space, and can travel from Alioth to Madis and back again 5 times on a single tank of fuel. IMHO there is absolutely no reason that a "pocket" ship should ever need to be over 5T. A 20T ship or even a 10T ship simply is no longer a "pocket" ship. But that is just my opinion.

Whatever NQ picks for rules I do agree the pocketable ship needs some rule adjustment. Be great to see talk about how things around pocket ships could be abused so NQ can address such. I thought unpacking a ship, slapping on the PvP elements you have in your nanopack and shooting a unarmed miner was not indented nor desired. If these rules expand we need to help NQ limit abuse.