A reminder from CCP

As one of the many, many long time but former eve players looking for a similar game which 'scratches the eve itch', I've been keeping an eye on DU for a long time hoping it would be the backscratcher I'm looking for.  It certainly looks like there are a lot of eve influences in the eve design, but the devs seem to be paralysed with indecision and trying to please everyone so I wanted to remind everone of the attitude at CCP which drove eve online to be successful in the first place:

So come on NQ, HTFU and start leading instead of trying to please everyone!

...er...um......er....after 6 months we really are still thinking very hard about whether to wipe or not...we want to make the best decision honest...it's not so we want to wait until the last possible minute before you unsub...honest....

It's exactly like ccp ....

I'd agree that NQ needs to pick a side and stick to it already.. 

"If you try to please everyone, you please no one. If you do what you believe to be right, you will please more people than you may realize."

OP, the 'paralysis' isn't due to indecision.  It is basically the devs hitting a dead end as the server tech has completely failed.  The single shard was the defining characteristic of this game and in order to make it 'work' they've had to strip down key game mechanics to only very basic functionality.  Everything from space combat to the changes in mining to the abandonment of TW are all a result of the server tech being insufficient to support those mechanics. 

100% agree. Game is as good as it will ever be. Server limitations mean the game will never get better. The players playing the game right now are the only players who will ever play. The idea of launch is just a fantasy. Only hardcore lego lovers play this game. It's not a MMO. When they do the wipe, they will go bankrupt all so they can have hope that may be new players will come when they "launch".

18 hours ago, Kruzer said:

OP, the 'paralysis' isn't due to indecision.  It is basically the devs hitting a dead end as the server tech has completely failed. 

Yes and no.

That the server tech has its limitations is not new nor unknown. There have been many instances, from very early on (before pre-alpha started even) where NQ has been quite open about that. The problem is that, while known to be limited, NQ still tried to shoe-horn in mechanics which they should have known would not function wel enough to be viable. And on top of that they designed their backend in such a way that it started to drain resources once beta opened to the extent NQ has been trying to recover from that ever since and had to fire their visionary and CEO.

Insteead of knowing your limitations and then building what you know is achievable, NQ tried to consistently find ways around the limitation and fall on their face, losing time and money in the process as they then needed to repair. The lack of long term planning and absence of a project manager to control all this are the driving factors in that IMO.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:55 PM, Kruzer said:

OP, the 'paralysis' isn't due to indecision.  It is basically the devs hitting a dead end as the server tech has completely failed.  

I think 'completely failed' is a bit strong.  There are some very bad design decisions in there (client side simulation of  objects is really stupid and probably used more resources than server side simulation while being intended to do the opposite).  There also seems to be a large amount of premature optimisation in there, particularly cost optimisation and some attempts to roll their own DB instead of using dynamo to make things cheap, which is when the game started to slow down and get stuttery for me.

But I don't think any of this is fatal and it should be able to improve over time.  Probably what it needs is a new round of investment  which is hard to get without the visionary CEO and without a launch ...

Not sure honesty is the correct word..  Lack of competence feel more right to me.

Or to quote Hanlon's razor. "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

And stupidity is truly the only way to explain this whole wipe deal and how NQ has dealt with it.

- If they have decided on some form of wipe (very likely) and are delaying the announcement until release, then posting the "internal discussion" blog was utter stupidity.

- If they do not want to wipe, then not telling us as quickly as possible is just stupid.

- And if they are actually not capable of making a decision in the time we are talking about here, then management in NQ is so dysfunctional that it can only be described as.. stupid.

And actually, while I wrote this last point more as a joke. When I think about it, it does describe NQ behavior over the years very well. So who knows..

I'd absolutely agree that NQ is not in any way malicious, just as I expect that the faces and voices, we hear have no intention of misleading anyone.

It is the middle and upper management at NQ which is (or is not) setting policy and process and that is where this is going south. Again, not out of malice, but because of what seems to be a total lack of direction and a complete disconnect with the community around the game. What is happening at NQ is a management problem and unfortunately that is generally very tough to get back on track once it goes off the rails.

IMO, the fact that several people at the low end, the ones we talk to/who should be listening to us, have rotated in and out, while the style and attitude has remained roughly the same is showing this to be the case.

Tell me I'm wrong?

NQ would want to wipe to slow the game down. Plain and simple. 

The management is smart as if you run any basic numbers they need at least 75,000 players and more like 150,000. For investors to make a good return on their very old investment your really looking at needing 200K +. 

What do games normally get? How many people play other MMO like games at the moment?