Duplicated name on Core

Lockon

This topic is about having multiple construct with the same name. and the experience of pvp against ships with the same name. Right now in the game, you can have the same 10 ship with the same name. Legion and Empire and others use this method, so you cannot get focused targeted. Lets say its a 5 ship vs 5 ship. group 1 have  5 ship have different name. and group  2 has 5 ship with the same name. When engaging in pvp, lets say group 1 says to target this ship * ship name* but if all the other 4 enemy has the same name, who do you target? if its an exact copy of the same blueprint, these ship will look the same and have the same name, so you cannot tell who to focus on. this is a huge disadvantage in pvp for the group that doesn't use this method. While group 2 is giving command to their fleet, lets say they say aim at ship * ship name Aqua* then their whole group can focus fire on "Aqua" cause they know who to shoot at, cause group 1 have different ship name for all their ships. so this brings it down that everyone will use this method. have the same name. If you don't use this method, you will not win against groups that use the same name. This shouldn't be the case, its a very bad mechanic, and I hope NQ adres this before the game launch. no construct can have the same name. and lua shouldnt fix this. its a game mechanic, they need to fix it. I hope NQ read this topic, because if they want people to do fleet fights, and for it to be cool, they need to disable same name mechanic. I can upload a video now on youtube from a fleet fight my group had. they would see a fight where we fight several ship with the same name, and lost and hear us complaining that we don't know who to target, if a new player see this, they will also agree that this mechanic is very bad. Good luck NQ.

I would consider duplicating construct names or even changing names good combat tactics. There is honestly no way to regulate this without artificially imposing naming restrictions for everyone and that would be very unpopular. Instead I suggest identifying targets via their construct ID. Perhaps an argument could be made that this ID should be included in the default radar HUD to help new players without sufficient lua experience. Would that be an acceptable compromise?

6 minutes ago, Msoul said:

I would consider duplicating construct names or even changing names good combat tactics. There is honestly no way to regulate this without artificially imposing naming restrictions for everyone and that would be very unpopular. Instead I suggest identifying targets via their construct ID. Perhaps an argument could be made that this ID should be included in the default radar HUD to help new players without sufficient lua experience. Would that be an acceptable compromise?

when you place down a construct, the name should be unavailable if its already in use. simple fix. our org don't wanna be those guys, *show up with 10 ships all having the same name, there is no way to focus fire or give good comms. But with the way the game is, we got no choice but to go change our whole fleet to have the same name 😕 otherwise we will never win a fleet right. but ship having the same name, but make an ID below their name, so lets say L ship Legion (ID411) this can also work, cause that ship ID is 411, so you can give command to focus fire ship 411 etc. this can also work, but right now there is no way. this is so bad. hope NQ really see the problem with this, they need to experience this them self to see this problem is real.

Okay i have multiple thoughts on this:
1. This is supposed to be an MMO with thausands of players, do you really think allowing only unique names is even realistic? People already struggle to get their favourite nickname and each player only has one but ships and constructs can be hundreds. Only allowing unique names seems to me likething that cant be done.

2. Having ships with the same name is a clever tactic in my opinion to help you win against other unexperienced groups

3. You say "there is no way" in the same sentance that you state the idea of using their unique ship id?!

4. The display their id next to the name is a thing and has been this way for a long time now in our scipts. I know a few PvP orgs and all have their own PvP script. Basicly none flies with default script and after a group first started using same names for their fleet we all had to adapt and change the code. Ship ids are always unique and therefore you can call your targets again. No confusion.

5. You might say "but when i cant code and have to fly with the default script and thats unfair" then i can only say, it was always in every area the case that you can play the game without coding or lua or using scripts from others but it can help you and give you an edge.

Given the amount of client-side stuff in this game, any attempt at forcing unique names is going to be more or less impossible.

As for making construct-id visible in the default auto config windows... well, I do recall NQ saying something along the lines of "custom scripts shouldn't result in major pvp advantage", and making that ID visible in default would seemingly solve the issue...

Then again, with NQ's record I suppose it would be more productive to just find a free script with the appropriate features and link people to it...

I can think of a dozent other lua scripts that give you an edge in a fight. If you can not programm then you should just buy a script. I dont see a Problem here. 

If you cant build a ship, you also have a disadvantage in PvP. Should NQ give out perfect ship blueprints to everyone? Else it would not be fair!

If you have lesser number, you are at a disadvantage. Should NQ add Bots to help you fight?

So how do you define fair in a sandbox? I would say, if everyone had the same possibilities, then it would be fair!

17 hours ago, Skeletmaster said:

I can think of a dozent other lua scripts that give you an edge in a fight. If you can not programm then you should just buy a script. I dont see a Problem here. 

If you cant build a ship, you also have a disadvantage in PvP. Should NQ give out perfect ship blueprints to everyone? Else it would not be fair!

If you have lesser number, you are at a disadvantage. Should NQ add Bots to help you fight?

So how do you define fair in a sandbox? I would say, if everyone had the same possibilities, then it would be fair!

Never said it actually made any kind of sense in an mmo, just that they had said it. To quote my pastor: "Fair's a place where you get cotton-candy. I don't see any cotton-candy, so I guess this ain't gonna be fair."

So...

It would be a useful feature for newer pvp players that may not have either their own scripts or purchased ones...

And it would be a useful feature for casuals that want to go hang out with their pvp buddies every so often but likewise don't have scripts...

And it would keep with what NQ said in the past specifically about scripts...

But it doesn't sound terribly difficult to get a script for this (I don't care enough to put in the effort to try right now, and probably wont hugely care either way anyways), and NQ has substantially more important things they should be working on at the moment.

If they can quick-fix it with three lines of code in as many minutes, then go for it, but if it would take any significant time to add then I'd rather they put their efforts toward more useful things like optimization or adding in the balance mechanics that they've said they want to add such as power (in spite of the fact that they seem to think the game needs to be balanced before they add in the balance mechanics...).