WTF, I can't make warp beacons anymore!!!

It took over 1 year of mining and well over 2 million quanta to get all the schematics needed to produce warp beacons, warp beacon parts, and the industries to make the parts. The first warp beacon took 2 months to produce, including the time to make the parts and industries. I had a separate account trained up for this effort, never leaving the factory. Finally getting the production time to under 27 days. This week I finished the 6th or 7th beacon, and yesterday I logged in to start the next one.  To my surprise I see I now need a Relic Plasma Octo L to make another beacon. Where do I get this relic plasma? Certainly not in the market, there are none for sale. Maybe I should go capture an alien core, but I have no interest in PvP.

For the past few weeks in DU, the only thing I have been doing is monitoring the warp beacon crafting to make sure I have the ore I need. When a beacon is done, I put it on one of my space stations. I no longer bother with the mining units that can provide 250kL of gold and silver ore each week. I have no use for it, and it sells for a pittance.

I guess I can go place my last warp beacon on one of my space stations that will deleted in the wipe to come. Game over.

So you complain you cannot make another beacon but then at the end come to the conclusion that a wipe would delete a beacon you'd have produced anyway. I don't quite understand what you complain about...

And NQ seems to see beacons as a very late-game item that orgs will have to work towards so, just like all exotic elements, they locked it behind alien cores which require cooperation of orgs to extract plasma from. The reason no plasma is available at the markets yet is simply because the very little plasma the PvP orgs currently in control of the alien cores could extract they need for themselves first. Once control has been held over these alien cores for longer (now possible since first space base shields finished production today), we might see possible surplus plasma on the market in the future weeks. But don't count on it.

I doubt alien core-locked stuff will ever be available on the market. PVP orgs will always keep it for themselves, because an org that reduces such a strategic item by selling it will quickly be replaced by a stronger org that kept/used that item instead of selling.

I don't know what will happen in a wipe, but that is just another slap in the face. I am complaining that the reasons to keep playing this game are dwindling.

The devs have said they want to redo the planets, which would indicate static constructs and their contents would get wiped. So, with the hope that space constructs would survive, I was working on beacons to upgrade space stations, but that is now dead for me. At least for the foreseeable future.

35 minutes ago, PotatoMart said:

go play single player game, some end content in mmorpgs are only for large groups and thats the right thing.

Who says I am not playing with a group? My first few beacons were sold to my org at a big discount from market. People in the org were very excited about getting beacons on the space stations. From beacon sales, I made back less than half of my investment, but I thought I was in it for the long term. I would still be selling them beacons, but everyone has put their accounts on hold, waiting to find out what will be wiped. Noone wants to put much effort into building infrastructure until we know what will be kept.

13 hours ago, Metsys said:

I don't quite understand what you complain about...

What I'll complain about is that stuff is locked behind resources you can get from 10 places in the whole of DU, which are controlled by two or three huge pvp groups. While that might be an interesting change in itself, it's a huge change that (looking at the items) should have been announced many months in advance!

I spend months gathering the quanta for buying all the Schematics for a Warp Beacon, the pre-announcement of wipe happened just before I started building, so I didn't spend the quanta on it yet. But I can see people being very pissed off, especially when they hope for a no-wipe scenario. I think that all the warp beacons will be wiped, just as all the Schematics/factories people already have, so in this case the discussion is mood in itself. But I do think that the core problem stays.

#1 NQ making huge sweeping changes without proper warning/announcement, a change like this could easily destroy a single players entire wealth in one go, which he or she has 'worked' a year and a half on. This isn't even the first or even second time NQ has done this...

#2 Locking an entire production line/item behind a 10 location resource that is being controlled by 1 group. You can expect that Legion will control all 10 after server wipe/relaunch, with such a major resource they won't allow any competition. The only way that would change is creating another pvp group, that doesn't have those resources from the start. Ok cool, but that's going to end up being another Legion, just faction B/C/D/etc.

If those resources were used to create stuff to put on those alien cores, I have no issue with it. But Warp Beacons are used outside of pvp!

I have very little interest in actively pursuing pvp, I'm totally fine with the risk of pvp, as I did whenever I slowboated stuff around DU outside of the safezones. If I can't get a resource without starting a war to get it... I'm just not interested in it. If that means no warp beacons anymore (because the groups in control won't sell THAT resource), I'll have to re-evaluate the DU 'endgame' for myself, as I expect many have already been doing. If I can't build those things anymore, why am I exactly playing DU? I have currently ZERO interest in joining the DU equivalent of a Null Sec Alliance, haven't done that in EVE in the 17.5 years I've been playing that and I've never felt that I can't do something because I'm not part of a big Alliance. I can do a LOT of things a lot less efficient then such a big group, as in the resources are a lot more difficult to get and the yields a lot less then doing then on a heavily contested prime spot.

@PotatoMart I agree upto a point, in this case a Warp Beacon should not be restricted to a few massive groups. Maybe a stargate would, maybe a player run market would, but a Warp Beacon? No! If you want players that play in small groups of even by themselves to leave and play a single player game. You would remove most of the playerbase, and with it any viable way for DU to exist or NQ to exist. There just aren't enough DU players to make that happen, and NQ like money, atleast their owners do...

@spainchaud Do you and your corp think they get to keep their Warp Beacons and their Schematics after the wipe/relaunch?

OMG a big PvP group controling the end game resources? This remember me the old times on EVE online, and the first aliances, and first wars to destroy the dominant alliances.

What have no sense, are you no need fight to acces to end game resource.

9 hours ago, Cergorach said:

@spainchaud Do you and your corp think they get to keep their Warp Beacons and their Schematics after the wipe/relaunch?

First of all, I like everything you said in your post. Especially the idea that Relec plasma should be used to construct star gates, not warp beacons.

My understanding is that schematics will be wiped, which was strongly indicated by the "internal discussions" of the developers. I also think that planets will be redone, so static constructs on the ground will be wiped. You will probably be able to make blueprints of those constructs, but all the resources would be gone . I think there is a slim chance that space constructs may survive, which would include warp beacons that are in space. That is why I was still trying to make them. It was little effort, just click a button every 26 days, to make more. Mostly all I have been doing is checking the progress on the beacon being crafted, and making sure the support industries have not crashed, which they do way to often.

I do not know what the guys in my corporation think. They went from being very excited about having beacons to only logging in to pay their territory taxes. Territories with mining units are being converted to headquarters. When I get into Discord, I see that no one is really playing DU. People are talking about shutting down accounts.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:30 PM, PotatoMart said:

go play single player game, some end content in mmorpgs are only for large groups and thats the right thing.

oh please  dont speak for mmorg vets...... actually its shortsighted...... im not saying it shouldnt be a group get,but ived spent years teaching large groups they cant stop smaller well trained groups.

current alien core is flawed at best... its exploitable ....and its being explioted without pvp