More fun without mining units

Gideon77

I tried restarting my alt without using any mining units at all, but only doing active mining via asteroids. It is actually working very well. A starter ship to mine asteroids costs only about 171k quanta from scratch, uses a lot of the parts that come with the starter ship currently, and is certainly possible for any new player to get right off the bat. My starter ship doesn't have any cargo containers, so it flies at 50kkm/h. I can make an asteroid mining run in just a few minutes, and come back with a full load of ore. Round trip travel only costs about 50L of fuel. Mining asteroids actually gives more ore per hour than the mining units, atleast starting out, and is much more fun. So if DU (or any players individually) ever want to go back to active mining like me, for a much more fun game experience, it is easily done. And thank you to those that have the free DSAT units (like FLEXX13), since they make this possible.

I agree, Asteroid mining is probably more fun then automining.

But this is only in the current scenario, as ore is cheap and elements are cheap. Now imagine a wipe/launch, how are you going to build that ship? Picking up ore at Sanctuary? Not enough, as you'll have to sell ore for quanta to acquire the Schematics to build an DSAT, if Schematics are no longer part of the game, you still need to build the factory setup and build that DSAT. Do you have the right materials for that? Picking up ore is boring!

I think you can do both, automine AND asteroid mine, especially when you get started. When you're rolling in the ore, you can do what's fun... But having both is giving us options imho...

13 hours ago, Jinxed said:

50,000kph? Did I miss something?

In Athena they raised the speed of light to 60K-ish but applied mass based magic speed limits to appease the faux-PVPers who only shoot at unarmed ships. Now if you're hauling cargo you have zero chance of escaping an attacker. That also means that very light ships can cruise aroun 50K. To get over that speed you have to have rockets and you magically fall below 50K when the rocket flames out. Fantasy physics sucks, but whatever.

I also designed a light space-capable ship on the assumption that there will be a wipe. My design can be entirely nanocrafted except for the space fuel. I've done a fuel asteroid runs in it. It works well and filling the nano pack with ore is fast enough that you don't get bored lol.

The downside is there's no way to carry a DSAT so it's stuck with already broadcast asteroids. Upside is that it's cheap enough to risk in unsafe space and there's nothing to gain for pirates who attack.

(My daily flyer is an armed copy of this design, but I expect it can't deliver enough damage to matter if it ever gets in a fight. Guns are basically for flavor.)

Yes.. Because NQ never managed to make elements in a way that used size and weight in a way that made sense. And they where shocked when people did not play the way NQ wanted in a "make you own" game,  so they had to override the fundamental game physics and introduce magic instead to force players to pew-pew.

Weight changes was to slow down the alt mission running more than supporting PvP. PvP needed a means to bring a reason to field smaller ships these changes are to solve for both of these... If that works is another discussion.