What would you guys think of an ocean update?

By this I mean actual water physics, water core units to make floating constructs easier to build, ships being able to actually float and sail around on the water, or dive and traverse around like a submarine, swimming, maybe even fish/coral, etc. As an aquatic player myself I would love a water based update, and it would give Jago, y’know, a reason to exist.

I would definitely like to see water physics and some way to build floating dynamic constructs - either a water construct or buoyancy elements. But there are plenty of more important things to fix.

DU does not have any form of physics in that sense and adding it woudl require a level of reworking of the core game which is not what NQ could afford an dpossibly achieve.

Water is just a mesh and I doubt it will ever be different. ANd with the latest changes it feel like it's even less actual water than before.. it's way to clear and when under water it's really no different from being on "dry" land at all..

9 hours ago, blazemonger said:

DU does not have any form of physics in that sense and adding it woudl require a level of reworking of the core game which is not what NQ could afford an dpossibly achieve.

Water is just a mesh and I doubt it will ever be different. ANd with the latest changes it feel like it's even less actual water than before.. it's way to clear and when under water it's really no different from being on "dry" land at all..

True, the game is filled with many such shortcuts like for example sunlight not being blocked by the ground.

And this is also why I think we will never get rotating planets, since they probably built the entire game we have now on top of some "first draft, early version soon to be improved" planet system and now they are stuck with it.

For sure.. All you need to do is set the ground altitude variable in the basic flight script to a negative value and it will work under water also. But there is still no concept of floating in the game despite water being a central theme. The closest you get is hover engines exerting more lift at negative altitude (below waterline) but that is just a result of how lift is calculated with ground zero as the base reference. So water is still just a sphere covering the whole planet with no special properties other then visuals and audio effects, that fills everything (much the same way sunlight cast through the ground) and is found at the same depth regardless of where you dig on the entire planet.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, CptLoRes said:

True, the game is filled with many such shortcuts like for example sunlight not being blocked by the ground.

I was calibrating MUs under water today and noticed the sun rising, perfectly visible from deep under the water surface, which is obviously ridiculous in itself.  The light also was casting shadows as if there was no water... because from that perspective there is actually no water or calculations to affect light through water ..