Trying to make sense what people are talking about...

Roxxors

Ok so in a normal release all they do is switch the launcher to login to the live servers by default, and there is usually a checkbox you select to log back into the beta server. If you choose to log into the beta server most of the stuff you made in beta should still be there. If you choose to log into the live server, you have never been on it and start out just like any other new player, with nothing.

Sometimes, to keep the beta server close to what the live servers are, (you don't want the test server to get outdated as any testing on it would not reflect what would happen on prod anymore) they "clean it up" and some things get "wiped", but there is no "wipe" when logging into the live server at release as there is nothing on it to wipe and nothing from the beta server ever gets carried over to the new live servers.

Soo, people say one this and others say that, but nobody is saying for sure.

And when you install the live client do you plan to rename the beta install path to say beta so the live client is installed in the correct directory?

(I keep the live client on my NVME drive and the beta clients on an older SSD)

Thanks.

DU is hosted on cloud servers (AWS), so having beta and live servers at the same time would double the cost for NQ.

And it is also a question of how smart it would be to divide the players in a MMO that is struggling with low players numbers.

And being able to access you older stuff in a beta server only, would have very little worth in a game that is supposed to be a persistent MMO universe.

Ok, fair enough for now. I was expecting a real product backed with the financial resources to get a polished and quality product that I can pay for. What we got is something tossed together in a basement with no real backing. That's fine, I like the game and building the ships, but they need to let people know what exactly they are paying for. I've played several little nitch games like this and had a lot of fun with them, this just wasn't what I was expecting, that's all. 

Now that I know what I'm paying for have a better idea of what to expect, I can deal with it. I just needed to know.

Not planning on dropping the sub, but will have a little adapting to do. Works for me.  :)

15 minutes ago, Roxxors said:

What we got is something tossed together in a basement with no real backing. 

That is what it feels like, isn't it? In reality. this is a game that's been in development for over 8 years, currently with ~50+ employees across two offices, that had over $20 million in investment. It's hardly an "indie" project by most standards. 

The fact that you think it was thrown together by a few devs in a basement is not exactly surprising but it is a bit sad. 

Correct. that is what it feels like.  I've said I like it and don't plan to unsub, but other people may not be like me. You only get one shot at release. If all the new players waiting on release day log in and crash, have issues, problems, lag, a lot will just move on and the cash they need to really fix stuff will go poof.  Polish and appearances are everything to keeping players. :)

11 minutes ago, Roxxors said:

[...]If all the new players waiting on release day log in and crash, have issues, problems, lag, a lot will just move on and the cash they need to really fix stuff will go poof.  [...]

Exactly this will happen ^^

1 minute ago, Koffye said:

Exactly this will happen ^^

You think that's bad. The current server can barely handle the current beta population. Wait till release and it gets nailed by 30x this many players. It won't be pretty.

13 hours ago, Roxxors said:

I was expecting a real product backed with the financial resources to get a polished and quality product

Oh you sweet, summer child. We live in a world of SAAS where releases roll out half baked and (apart from NMS) continue to be filled with bugs years after release.

the days of paying for finished software are long behind us.  

8 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

Oh you sweet, summer child. We live in a world of SAAS where releases roll out half baked and (apart from NMS) continue to be filled with bugs years after release.

the days of paying for finished software are long behind us.  

Clearly you have much growing up to do and a whole lot to learn about the real world... Not my problem though...

9 hours ago, Roxxors said:

Clearly you have much growing up to do and a whole lot to learn about the real world... Not my problem though...

??? 

I wouldn't take the comment so personally...this reply comes off as ironically naive.

@Jinxed isn't wrong -- software hasn't gotten more reliable over time, it's become more interconnected, complex, and brittle.

In general, the older the code base (and the more people that touch it), the less reliable it is...and NQ is now about 8 years old (with a lot of their current developers having <5 years of history with the company)

[quote]

Trying to make sense what people are talking about...

[/quote]

Maybe read a bit more? Understand a bit more? Not my problem though...

Beta is the current production server we all play on, it tries to be on 24/7/365 (with the exception of patches).

We also have PST, that's the test server and is only available during certain short test periods.

Running two servers into perpetuity is insane! That's atleast twice the work for NQ! And most people wouldn't leave the 'beta' server, newbies would start on the new launch server, but see all the cool goodies on the old server as all the designers/designs are on the beta server...

20 hours ago, Roxxors said:

So you're claiming that recent crowdfunded games are coming out as planned, Zero day polished, finished and ready to play with reasonably few bugs?

As for the growing up part, seems you've taking something a bit too personally. LOL.