Could we please give the special effect team some better drugs?

Tordan

maybe less LSD?

These are my space brakes that are outside of my ship laid flat on the surface of the underside. When on. Why? Why? Why? does EVERYTHING need flashing strobing effects. This is nuts. any effects that are generated by the brakes, should only be on the "exterior" side of the brakes, not on the contact surface. and they shouldn't be bleeding through a voxel+ away 

image.thumb.png.03d0159cc6369d39efc992929d415114.png

It's very clear NQ does not test these thinsg on actual constructs at all and obviously ignores and and all feedback they receioved on it while in PTS ..

Not that this is unexpected, not predicted to happen or anything new..

And there has by now been many cycles of NQ toning down effects after complaints, so why do they keep making the same basic mistakes over and over again?

Whoever is in charge of SFX in this game need to learn that "LESS IS MORE" is a saying that is often used in design for a good reason. And that subtle hints and effects are more impressive then the "OMG!! DIAL IT UP TO 11!!" approach. Especially for something that players are forced to watch over and over again while playing.

NQ has always overdone effects and many are still as they were. The latest round included having circles emitting from radar to "show the radarwaves".. total nonsense and as many will hide radar in wals or behind walls, many will not have odd circlees coming out of walls for no reason at all.

NQ does not know how to do subtle, add fx that do not get in the way but if they are not here you may well go "hmm.. something is missing" .. 

And their effects are very rough and basic.. they really do not do the game world a service.. It could be because PopcornFX has no direct integration with Unigine so they may have to do all that themselves, but if I see what gamees like Forza or Diablo II  do with it, it's also a lack of experience and skill with the tools I gues.

I agree that VFX still need work. I think NQ's issue is that they let technical people design the game, do the VFX, implement the UI/UX, underestimating all the skills that aren't technical in nature. Leading to...this. 

That said, please don't take this out on LSD -- if anything, it's coming from being stoned and lazy, not having a nice trip. 

1 hour ago, Tordan said:

I'm not Dissing a good acid trip.

Okay, thanks OP. That's really the most important thing to me. Don't blame good drugs for bad VFX! :D 

I personally don't understand why they'd even bother touching VFX when the UI is in serious need of attention...they'd make the game look at lot more polished and professional with a better UI compared to all these VFX tweaks. 

7 hours ago, Tordan said:

I'm not Dissing a good acid trip.
I just don't want one forced on me all the time.

I rest my case:
image.thumb.png.240e503600db2f75273ba87e92d5e854.png

Personally liked the more intense version it was initially on PTS..... Besides a few "issues" here and there the new graphics are pretty solid.