Welcome to Limbo! What have you been doing?

Novean-61657

I've been stuck with my head in the sand for a year and a half, the 14th of April NQ unstuck my head and I joined many in Limbo...

I stopped pretty much any building activity (as it will all most likely go POOF!). No reason to get more ore, quanta, or Schematics. As Schematics will probably go the way of the Dodo, ore, quanta, and physical assets will also most likely go POOF! I did buy a ton of BPCs, maybe we'll be allowed to keep those. Distributed my quanta across my characters and started moving resources to Sanctuary (for if for some reason we get to keep that). Then I just logged off...

I sometimes logged back in to check something, mostly on stuff that came up in discussions here in the forum.

It's been two weeks and I'm starting to get less (h)angry and more like "Get it over with!", there are still things where I will say "NQ, you went too far! I quit!", but we'll see when that actually happens. Meanwhile I've been thinking how to restart after wipe, I've got some ideas, but I need to make lists with numbers attached. I'm also thinking about how all the current changes will affect a restart, now after the patch I can actually start with testing some designs that I could use after the restart. Because #1 we are currently using way complicated/expensive ships that have 1.5 years of industry behind them, that are unrealistic just after the restart, #2 all the damned changes make current designs either unworkable or not efficient enough. I was actually surprised that we got the patch before the restart!

I've also been stuck in 'my ways' in DU, I'm used to low G planets, space elevators, fully tested routes with the same cargo and weight. So when I took out an Inquisitor (by Loaded) a while back and just stuffed it full of cargo, I had a hell of a time actually lifting off a 1G planet (I suck at manual flying and it was overweight!). I actually learned stuff! After kicking out some cargo during flight I was eventually able to get out of Atmo. Landing on Sanctuary was interesting to say the least, but wasn't as bad as I have (crashed) in the past... It was an actual exciting experience, something I haven't had in a long time in DU... Atleast it wasn't shot from under me by pirates... This time... 😉

Yesterday I wanted to fly and see some of the new stuff (and mostly how badly the new patch borked existing ships). The SAGA HUD was borked, couldn't take off at all. I haven't actually been installing LUA in any of my ships, I've been buying other people's designs for a long while now, and they installed it all (DRM). So now I didn't want to disturb Apocalix (M480s), just jumped in (removed seat and placed it again without DRM) and proceeded to install SAGA HUD (far easier and user friendly experience then I expected). Again, learned a lot! But what I already had realized is that the M480s isn't exactly a great fit for the new mission system + the new max speed. With no cargo it reaches 28k, imho it won't matter much with the largest missioning packages, but I expect I can get some gains with the next largest packages...

So new designs for restart I need to make (cheap in ores, T1):

backpack rocket

Atmo hauler/mission runner

Atmo to space hauler

Space hauler that can get as close to max speed as possible with a mission load

Besides BPOs (if we can take them with us) I'll also need to make screenshots, parts list and notes to rebuild in manually. I'll be using the mantra: Pretty is optional, function over form, good ugly ain't bad!

So... What have you been doing while being stuck in Limbo? Have you gotten over being (h)angry and gotten some motivation back to do something in DU? Even if it's a bit outside your usual comfort zone? What would you like to try?

I am beginning to believe that NQ, knows what they are doing in not making a " decision" about a wipe. I think they want to wipe. The longer they take with the announcement that they are going to wipe, they more players will have the mindset of " I don't care about a wipe anymore, just get it over with".

As for me, I have stopped building,  and have started looking into other aspects of the game that I have not explored yet(pvp, lua).

Still building, working on two ships intermittently, though I've adjusted my goals to make them easier to reproduce post wipe. Static building projects on hold for a minute.  Still tending mines and collecting ore, still fine tuning my factory. I'm not going to let tomorrow's trouble take away my enjoyment of the game today. Except the flight nerfs, those are affecting it today... 

I don't know when the wipe is going to happen. The game certainly isn't ready to go live. When they tell us it's immanent I'll switch gears and start making core BP's or whatever the situation calls for. Unless I've quit over the flight nerf, that could still happen.

2 hours ago, Rahzii said:

I am beginning to believe that NQ, knows what they are doing in not making a " decision" about a wipe. I think they want to wipe. The longer they take with the announcement that they are going to wipe, they more players will have the mindset of " I don't care about a wipe anymore, just get it over with".

If that's really the intent behind their strategy...it just isn't a good idea. 

They've made considerable changes that affect how the game will scale at the same time that they've drastically reduced the number of people testing those changes.

That's not a great combination. Every day they drag their feet is another day that people aren't finding bugs or testing how the game scales at any sort of load. 

If the game does release, they'll be flooded with bug reports and performance issues because it hasn't been tested enough...which won't help the conversion rates for new players. 

Plus, it's just bad practice for customer engagement and communication. They've promised to do better with this but have expended very little effort in doing so -- a few small windows where they actually respond cushioned between vast gulfs of silence.

When release does drop, they won't have the ability to engage with their customers because they don't know how. They never bothered to learn -- that will cost them in the long run. 

1 hour ago, blundertwink said:

Plus, it's just bad practice for customer engagement and communication. They've promised to do better with this but have expended very little effort in doing so -- a few small windows where they actually respond cushioned between vast gulfs of silence.

Is it too much to ask NQ to display/inform how they improved this to date?

I been playing A20 of 7days to die.  Letting my skill points build while taking up space.  Just waiting till this game shows up on  "Death of a Game" series on youtube.  If they bring back real mining on planets again I will come back, but that is not likely.  I really do not want to spend a hour flying to get to a possible mining site.  Just not worth it.

4995.jpg

I was always in limbo and playing on and off since alpha release. I want to do things in DU, but I won't be doing anything other than testing new features until the decision about a wipe.

I think with the Athena update it could actually qualify as a "Beta" finally.

X4 is good.  There was a new expansion recently and I've mostly been playing that and occasionally forum warrioring.  I have a list of other games I've been meaning to play for a while.  I'm noticing the longer I stay out of the habit of playing DU the less interested I am in coming back and starting from scratch again.

I applied all the (actual building) skill I've gained since I last built a starter ship to build a really nice, single seat, XS ship that has 100% nanocraftable parts. Assuming BPs survive the wipe (probably a legal issue if they don't - that may actually violate an implied contract), I'll be able to get back to flying as soon as I get mining set up. Without having to wait for the markets to start working again.

And then, I'll probably just fly around without really participating in the (mostly non-existent) gameplay.

I've also been mining an asteroid per week, cause that's kind of fun, but I may stop that now that my mining ship can't reach max speed.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, Rahzii said:

Problem is that many of those will be "I don't care about a wipe anymore, this was the last straw and I am done with this game". And they are going to be telling this to all their friends, and some of them are also going to be youtubers making reviews.

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Problem is that many of those will be "I don't care about a wipe anymore, this was the last straw and I am done with this game". And they are going to be telling this to all their friends, and some of them are also going to be youtubers making reviews.

Yeah. I'm definitely sitting on that fence. And definitely telling friends not to join the game till we see how bad it is at release.

I logged on this weekend and paid taxes. Also updated my skills as I was leaving room for maybe aphealia skills. But refuse to play till they decide if we are wiping or not. Couple other guys feel the same way and we have been playing space engineers. Man I love mining in that game. Something about building cool machines to do the mining for you. And the weather on the planets, npcs you can fight and raid, several types of missions. If it only had an mmo aspect....