Engine rebalance - what engine bonuses should be IMO.

With Athena, NQ attempted to rebalance the engine types. There was a lot of flip-flopping of stat values between the different PTS patches. And what we arrived at is, in my opinion, still not where it should be. Partly because the changes still don't give balanced value to each engine type, but also because the current stats don't assign a unique identity to some of the types.

I hope NQ will give these suggestions some consideration soon, because I feel DU launch is the last chance to make big changes to engine balance without angering a lot of players.
---
I THINK THE ENGINE BONUSES SHOULD BE:

(values are multipliers, applied at every tier step, stacking multiplicatively)

Military - same values as current. Trade fuel efficiency for power.

Thrust 1.2
Mass 1
Fuel/hour 1.44
Warmup 1
Resistances Excellent

---
Maneuver - they currently lack identity. Instead of freights getting reduced mass, give that to maneuvers. Give them comparable thrust:mass as military engines. No fuel or thrust bonuses. They would have better acceleration than military engines for short burns, but military engines would win out for long-duration burns. This would make maneuver valuable for close range fights and races, but not as good as military engines for long accelerations. Maneuver loses the advantage as soon as the military engine warms up. The mass reduction would also allow slightly higher max speeds, which would be good for space racing.

Thrust 1
Mass 0.85
Fuel/hour 1
Warmup 0.5
Resistances Poor

---

Freight - really drive in the 'for haulers' message. Give them thrust bonuses AND great fuel efficiency. This makes them a highly desirable engine. But give them penalties which discourage their use in pvp. Keep the very high warmup penalties, but also give them a significant mass penalty. Haulers don't care much about the extra mass and warmup. But pvpers will be very limited by it.

Thrust 1.15
Mass 1.15
Fuel/hour 0.75
Warmup 1.75
Resistances Average

---

Safe - the long-standing worst engine in DU! I have an idea to give it value and identity(not steal maneuver's identity like it currently has). Instead of a bonuses and penalties approach, just give it all bonuses, but small ones. A jack-of-all-trades choice; the safe choice.

Thrust 1.05
Mass 0.95
Fuel/hour 0.9
Warmup 0.9
Resistances Good

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

• 4 months later...

I really like your idea

how about torque

my idea is adding a stat to the present fuel.  how about a torque value to the different fuel so they act like real life EX: diesel,87 ,89 or 91

Then we could add restriction to the engine who could use a certain type of fuel

hoping it is simple to add in the game