Good job NQ ..

blazemonger

Well done NQ..

You managed to make players uninstall and leave because they can't see themselves handle the pressure of fixing ships that should not be broken and what is reported as broken is due to your algorithm not working as it should. (or better, is irrelevant to the intended target).

This construction thing is overshooting the intended target so far it is affecting players who designed and sold ships in good faith and do not feel they should now be punished by having to go around fixing stuff that is really not broken at all.

As with many things, we told you this was an issue but you once again did not listen and as a result more creators leave the game.

While I could fix my constructs, ALL of the triggers for the obstruction were with YOUR element design and how hitboxes work. And on top of that, what is happening now had _nothing_ to do with the original reason for these changes, people using tricks to place multiple elements in the same space and have them operate fine. It is the usual "carpet bomb the general area to try and hit the target cheap solutions NQ is coming up with that is driving people away as they impact the general enjoyment and gameplay. 

And no, "log a ticket" is not a valid response here. We told you, you ignored us (once again) and so this is _your_ problem, not ours. Besides that, there is no way to be sure such a ticket would get any attention to begin with.

On top of that, you know you are going to wipe, you also know (or should at least) that this will resolve the intended target constructs from returning into the game as their blueprints will not work, yet you still shoe horned an otherwise pointless change which just causes more grief and disappointment for your player base.

Such a shame to see what once was a game with immense promise be washed down the drain by these things. Such a damned shame..

ya I've gone through all this with Empyrion Galactic Survival and having to rebuild my ships after every patch.  I knew this would happen here as well and didn't spend much time in the beta because of this.  But I am goin to give the new voxel tool a test drive and gain some skill and knowledge with it.  The only way I feel they can fix this is a full wipe.... but more game breaking patches need to happen before this game can be released.

3 hours ago, blazemonger said:

...people using tricks to place multiple elements in the same space and have them operate fine

didnt they already say that stacking elements will be fixed (they wont work any longer) ?

I tested my ships and even the ones having a minimum setup, to lift a certain amount, still went up to space perfectly.

The only thing I struggled was a custom script which has been purged out of the "custom" folder - but it worked again after reinstalling.

Performance was better in general, but I had some few "pending operations".

Nothing to complain from my side.

The last word from NQ on the element stacking issue was that they were going to fix the algorithm and then test it on the live server with Athena.

I haven't bothered to log in.  But it sounds like the new element stacking detection works about as poorly as the last version.

So hopefully they toss this one out too, and try again.

It's absolutely ridiculous to implement something that has this huge of an effect on so many players, just for the sake of removing the remnants of an exploit that has already been fixed.

They need to figure out another way of dealing this those old stacked ships.  This one clearly isn't working.

I had one construct show "collision" on a warpdrive and Atmo Radar.. The two were close together but not even close to touching. While sure, nudging the radar once tick forward resolved the issue, fact remains the problem here was NOT overlapping elements but NQ not properly defining element hitboxees.

And I am certain this is te case in many instancees where players are now sent on a goose chase to find the "offending" elements where there is no obvious even visible issue.

As @Atmosph3rik mentioned correctly, this change is superfuous as it "fixes" an issue NQ has allready addressed and as I mentioned.

Players can still place elements which, while visibly not overlapping and without the need for trickery, will trigger this "feature" while completely fine  to place that way. 

8 hours ago, blazemonger said:

While I could fix my constructs, ALL of the triggers for the obstruction were with YOUR element design and how hitboxes work. 

This is the reason why I haven't 'fixed' my constructs before, I saw this happening a mile away!

The shipbuilders assured us that they fixed their ships, nice! Then a few patches later I see warning signs again... Then I see the warning signs shift to different elements within the element, depending on when I look... Yeah, not touching this with a 10-foor pole! They'll either fix it, roll it back or leave it completely broken as it is. No reason why I should spend precious time messing with it now...

We'll see what the wipe brings... Even if people can bring in BPOs, large parts will need to be redone or are already obsolete due to more drastic changes...

@RiptoseHow do you think a wipe will fix this? The problem is, you build something and according to the new build placement it is fine, then later you get warnings it is no longer fine. Unless they've finally fixed that now, I'm not seeing that spontaneously fixed after the wipe... We might not have immediate issues after the wipe due to us no longer having any constructs and building the BPOs we have is still a long ways off. But that isn't a fix imho. Even if they wipe BPOs as well, new build constructs will have the same issue!

Same here..

I am not going to fix ships that aren't broken in the first place just because NQ went live with a faulty detection algorithm, despite being told multiple times it was broken.

At this point thanks to NQ's consistent ability to mess up even the simplest things, I care so little for this game that a thing like this is enough for me to put the entire game on pause instead of fixing my (not broken) ships.

The current collision algorithm simply seems to be broken:

- after the patch many constructs reported overlapping elements, although they were all checked before the patch.

- simply moving these elements one tick to the left and back fixed the error. Although the elements went back to the

original position, the collision error was gone.

That's simply a bug.

It happened on multiple ships.

How can stuff like that be released ?

Where is the QA department ?

I thought the patch was tested on PTS ?

Did some more testing and actually moved elements back in their original position and now the ship is still fine.. so yes, the system is certainly broken.. no surprise there as we've told NQ.. several times.. but they just push it anyway.. because.. reasons..

I too had several ships that needed elements moved one tick to the side, and then one tick back again. And then it was blue, and could be placed in the old position just fine. And the collision warning went away.

Even my factory had a handful of machines that needed this treatment (that were placed in the exact same way as the 1500 other elements).

And they were told, they've been told for a long time. They just don't care.

With the last Algorithm i rebuilt my speeder and repositioned almost every element.  i did extensive testing, and had no elements flagged at all.  Then i made a Blueprint and deployed a second version of it.  Did extensive testing with that one too, and had no elements flagged.

Then i compacted the speeder and went to Lacobus to recalibrate some MUs.  When i uncompacted it on Lacobus i got the warning message on the screen and had multiple elements flagged.  Compacted it again and went back to Alioth and it was all clear.

I also tried bringing the speeder to Lacobus docked to another ship, and same result, elements flagged on Lacobus and not flagged on Alioth.

So if you're testing the new Algorithm, don't assume that your ship is all clear just because it appears to be in build mode.

That is avery good question @Endstar

Problem here is that NQ will release basiclaly what we have now and it is not even close to finished with a numbe rof very disruptive and potentially risky changes yet to come, if NQ gets to that point.

Frankly I just think they have no choice here and whether anyting happens post launch is all up to whether they can stay alive for long wnough to get thetre so it not a factor they account for right now. Whether that is good or bad is no longer relvant as NQ has made their choices and whatever happens, happens now.

Just played again "properly" yesterday for the first time in a while. (i.e. rather than just charging MUs.)
But quickly got frustrated since all my fun and cute little XS warp shuttles have just about doubled in weight... Effectively doubling travel costs and reducing player mobility.

Whoopie do.

But as for item collisions, typically NQ tried to fix the problem of element stacking with a blowtorch and block-hammer instead of solder and fine tweezers.
I think the other term I read somewhere was "carpet bombing."

On 4/29/2022 at 1:57 AM, Atmosph3rik said:

With the last Algorithm i rebuilt my speeder and repositioned almost every element.  i did extensive testing, and had no elements flagged at all.  Then i made a Blueprint and deployed a second version of it.  Did extensive testing with that one too, and had no elements flagged.

Then i compacted the speeder and went to Lacobus to recalibrate some MUs.  When i uncompacted it on Lacobus i got the warning message on the screen and had multiple elements flagged.  Compacted it again and went back to Alioth and it was all clear.

I also tried bringing the speeder to Lacobus docked to another ship, and same result, elements flagged on Lacobus and not flagged on Alioth.

So if you're testing the new Algorithm, don't assume that your ship is all clear just because it appears to be in build mode.

ROFL... Clearly low air pressure on Lacobus is causing parts to expand more than they should.

#SpuriousPhysics

On 4/29/2022 at 9:39 PM, Nosomu said:

I just warped to Teoma with a warp shuttle I’ve been using for months only to find that I don’t have enough cells to get home. NQ’s nerfs to element weights went overboard.

the warp widget shows how many cells are needed to do a jump. I generally recommend having at least 4x the needed for one way. that way if you have an issue with mid jump home etc, you still have enough to try again.

7 hours ago, BlindingBright said:

You are free from her tyranny and just in time to take a seat on a beach of alioth and watch the servers get wiped.

You may be kidding, but I did just that.

I suddenly knew it was time after all these years, so I just sat in a chair (on a beach no less) for a long time watching the scenery with a sense of melancholy.

And then when it felt right, I logging out for what may very well be the last time depending on NQ's actions in the near future.

27 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

I suddenly knew it was time after all these years, so I just sat in a chair (on a beach no less) for a long time watching the scenery with a sense of melancholy.

I had realized the DU I loved has been dying for a while, and it has been me holding out hope that it'd come back. Though it's not over yet, and I still have a small bit of hopium that NQ will come to their senses. Myself and my group has largely stopped playing, not due to gameplay changes but from inaction/lack of direction from the developers... and we've played pretty "hardcore" since before 0.23 hit... Several of us are still poking at the DU Discord channels, and likewise chatting daily in org channels... we're all just waiting and slowly loosing hope.

Weird feels for a game that's supposed to release soon. if by release, they meant relieving the game of it's suffering... it'd make more sense.