Question to people who are still playing the game

Eternal

Do we still have finite mineable resources in the universe? I'm talking about ores that don't renew, like how this game began.

Yes or no? If not, how is it right now?

What was so bad before is if you are not mining, you are losing the game.

Asteroids respawn every week that 6ou can dig for ore. Each territory has a set amount of ore and the mining unit will mine that amount forever, no digging needed. Granted you do need to calibrate it every 4 or 5 days.

Mining units have allowed me to focus more on building as long as I calibrate the machines every so often. Territory doesn’t run out of ore, but you can only pull so much ore at a time off a territory. 

1 hour ago, Eternal said:

Do we still have finite mineable resources in the universe? I'm talking about ores that don't renew, like how this game began.

Yes or no? If not, how is it right now?

What was so bad before is if you are not mining, you are losing the game.

The rate of ore extraction is finite - and very small compared to the earlier system - think one scoop of ore per hour. But you don't have to actively mine - just calibrate every few days.

The old style of mining is still available on asteroids. And asteroids are finite, but respawn every week.

You pretty much have to mine to pay your hex tax.

Sanctuary is a waste man! Alioth and Sanctuary are the same, except there were more abundant resources in Alioth!

How is the game right now, do we still have Sanctuary? 

When Beta started, I invested in my Sanc, and whatever I mined outside of it, I brought them to the Sanc, and then I ended up quitting the game! It was a trap man!

5 hours ago, Eternal said:

Sanctuary is a waste man! Alioth and Sanctuary are the same, except there were more abundant resources in Alioth!

How is the game right now, do we still have Sanctuary? 

When Beta started, I invested in my Sanc, and whatever I mined outside of it, I brought them to the Sanc, and then I ended up quitting the game! It was a trap man!

Therefore, everything that you had built up there should still be there on Sanctuary.
Alioth and Sankt are not the same. One is a planet, the other is a "starter moon". There are a lot of differences.

Edited by Zarcata

10 hours ago, Eternal said:

I'm talking about ores that don't renew, like how this game began.

#1 If you talking about the start of beta, ores didn't run out anyway. Surface ore kept respawning, this might have been a bug.

#2 For anything other then the more rare ores, finite resources didn't matter, there was just so much of it. Although not always as easily mined as meganodes...

#3 The game wasn't ready for finite resources (besides the permanent storage requirements for tunnels of all the mined out tiles), it would mean that if/when resources run out in the actual game, there wasn't a mechanic in place to expand to other resources. Like moving to another system, exploration, warpgate building , etc. So when the resources are gone, the game dies or the resources need to be reset...

The game mechanics also just don't support finite resources in the core mechanics. Stuff can disappear, either through destruction, deletion or consumption. We also have no way to develop alternatives, like water based space fuels, etc.

Also keep in mind that the amount of resources per player is relatively limited compared to anything close to the real world. A normal human consumes a tiny amount of resources, a DU player consumes enormous amounts of resources. If every human on the planet would own a couple of Mammoth Tanker, it would be a different discussion... There have been so many compromises with any form of reality to make a game (instead of a very boring simulation) that the old way of finite resources would be unsustainable. That doesn't mean the current system is all that great either, but there is more room for improvement and probably easier implementation.

I do miss the ZEN of planetary mining! ;)

On 4/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, Eternal said:

There is a mining unit that is automatic according to what I heard, but does the territory run out of ore?

No the territory does not run out of ore to answer the question. There is only so much ore you can pull out per hour and that goes up based on talents but as long as you pay your "taxes" on that tile, the ore is unlimited that comes out.

I don't play the game anymore, except to fly down to Haven and check it out (just another rock with grass and trees).  However, I do recall suggestions I made a long time ago about mining.

I was one of the early people to suggest an auto-mining feature , however it was nothing like the current implementation.  I still wanted the digging but the only difference to mining was that you set up a machine on the node itself, not on the surface. Certainly did not want taxes. To deal with the problem of too many tunnels, there should have been a tunnel collapse mechanism that erases tunnels after no presence of a human after 60 days. 

Easy enough to implement, just keep a least recently used timestamp on each tunnel object that gets refreshed any time a player walks by.  In a nightly maintenance sweep, all tunnel data structures with old time stamps simply get deleted.

The other idea was that nodes respawn after a while of being dormant (like a month or two).  That would give incentive for people to fight for meganode tiles.

well since there probably be a wipe anyways, there is another opportunity to fix this mechanic. Or not.  I probably won't play again unless there is enough critical mass of players to make things interesting again. 

Here is the thing about voting on wipes that I have seen over and over again over 20 years of playing MMOs.

1. The people with nothing to lose and everything to gain always vote for a wipe as they have no skin in the game.

2. The people that were "betrayed" by a wipe stop playing. These are the true diehard, committed people that actually generate the content that NQ keeps talking about in their visions.

3.  The "betrayed" people leave with their amazing creativity to some other environment.

4. The people who wanted the wipe are left with the daunting task of creating a new content base.

5. However, the people who voted for the wipe are generally tourists, and are not the building personality type  ...  so not much gets built.
6. The level-the-playing-field tourists get bored and leave with a mild shrug. (They don't care - they had nothing to lose anyways)

7. Trust is broken for builder personality types. 10x harder to convince new ones - advertising not much help here - they go by word of mouth 

8. Ghost town

I find that since I played before the limits on how many cores you can have, I purchased TONS of components to a point that I never run out. There is no need to manufacture or mine or do anything besides build ships and tear down old ones due to the limits.

My bank balance never changes since I never have to buy anything. I have thought about selling it all on the market though but meh. I also have most of my wealth in gold as a backup currency in case Quanta ever inflates