DEVBLOG: VFX UPGRADES IN ATHENA - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

@Emma Roid You did the right thing asking via support ticket but I also recommend you send a message to one of the discord moderators (ideally modmail if it still exists). Its quite possible that one of the bots mistakenly gave you a temporary mute. Either way try to avoid discussing it here and take it up with the staff directly.

Edited by Msoul
Added Mention

Quick thoughts...

• Tone down the warp animation.  That's a bit much.
  • The atmo flight nerfs... you're killing me smalls.  I have a ship with 12 Rare L Military engines and I could barely get off the ground.   Used to roar right off the planet.  I don't have room to add engines without making my ship look stupid.  Space engine changes, I'm kind of ok with.  But, you're fixing problems that we aren't complaining about (aka don't exist).

Tone down or change the warp effect. I have to change to 1st person view (without windows) to block that cascade of light. I want to be able to play for hours, not just show a cool effect for 10 seconds to a friend.

Did a bit of flying...

That moving ring on the shield annoys me...

The warping... Could someone please get the Dev in charge of the warp effect of LSD! WTF were you thinking!?!? I'm do not have Photosensitive epilepsy, but it triggers something panicky that isn't a pleasant experience...

I like the stars and the space sky!

Haven looks UGLY in map mode!

The space brake and space engine effects are over done, the first more then the second...

Is it me or does dark seem more dark? Or are my eyes still adjusting from the warp effect?

On 4/25/2022 at 3:01 PM, Tordan said:

The skybox flight particles are still ridiculous, although I am thrilled that they no longer fly THROUGH the ship. Thank you for that.

That is NOT the way space looks (would look) if you were flying fast through space.  if you were able to approach the speed of light, the stars in front of you and behind you would spectrum shift and change color, near by stars to the side of you would look like short lines in space instead of dots.

The new version on Live of this, is much better then it was on PTS.

Warp still makes me think Zardoz or maybe even Barbarella.

The initial brightness of the space brakes effects is too high. It's _very_ bright when the animation starts.

Athena has tanked my FPS. I used to be able to do about 40, but now I'm stuck in the early-20's, and nothing I do seems to change that. Please optimize the graphics. My GPU is only a few years old, and it's really struggling on the lowest settings.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:36 PM, Cergorach said:

That moving ring on the shield annoys me...

The shield VFX are an eye sore. 

DU already shows you a mesh of the construct and not the actual voxels, how difficult can it be to texture map the shield effect onto that mesh somewhat like hardeners are don in EVE? That woudl look much better ..

Or even just make the shield VFX less prominent (well NQ really needs to tone down ALL VFX) .. again, use EVE as an example of how to do this in a way it is visible without getting in the way.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:36 PM, Cergorach said:

The warping... Could someone please get the Dev in charge of the warp effect of LSD! WTF were you thinking!?!? I'm do not have Photosensitive epilepsy, but it triggers

something panicky that isn't a pleasant experience...

I do not have an issue witheht warp tunnel effect but here again, it's too much in your face and at the same time it would be great to have the option to not see it.
I also feel the tunnel is to narrow..

* Improvement in water visuals *

How exactly was there an improvement? 

Before Athena, Alioth had huge areas of VISIBLE oceans, it looked great when seen from high up in the air and on the surface. Now, after Athena "visual improvement", Alioth looks like a desert with large shallow basins of sand, as water was made so transparent, it's basically invisible. 

I care about water visual, thats why I chose to build my base on the shore. 

The same happened before with Demeter visual improvements. Said "improvements" just removed a lot of previous vegetation from Alioth coastal areas, making it look more like a desert than a tropical beach.

So, at least on Alioth, the visual improvements only seem to have removed whatever was actually looking great before. 

And yes, that warp tunnel effect, still far from good. Seems like old pre-CG era movie time-travel tunnel effect. 

Edited by DarkEvader

NQ has given up on anything real, their just making shit up as they go along now. Even more then before, and always the NQ way regardless of if it makes sense or not.

Take the warp effect. A simple google search would have told them to make a tunnel shaped effect with star streaks going from blue in the front to red at the back caused by doppler effect in the light spectrum.