DEVBLOG: SYSTEM MAP - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

Looks good.  The only thing that strikes me as a bit off is that the icons of the planets all have rings.  My suggestion would be to make a little planet icon without rings (as opposed to just a dot).

Love it. We've needed this for so long. This is going to make space travel much more enjoyable.

One map feature that I want is to be able to see the positions of ships that you have have a transponder match with. This would help a lot with pvp fleet organization - the ability to visualize the disposition of your allies. Positions for contacts that are online would also be nice.

Edited by TobiwanKenobi

We need Bookmark folders

We need Org Bookmarks

Constructs should be separated into Separate categories for dynamic, static and space and probably also between personal and org.

I agree that having a visual representation of at least org owned dynamic constructs on the space map would be really nice.

The improved space map is good, long overdue but good. Could be better though

Love it! Been using the 3D Algebra map for a while and the 3D interface is very handy for planning.

Along with this update, will it also fix a few current map issues?

- ores not showing in all planet descriptions.

- waypoints showing incorrect altitude. (Especially bad on Feli)

And just an overall clunkiness and inaccuracy to setting waypoints and copying coordinates to the clipboard.

3 hours ago, Zarcata said:

Can I see my spacestation on this map or can I show the station to friends/orgmembers/all others?

Good question! :) 

You will be able to see the locations of your constructs on the new system map if they are selected in the left menu. Sharing the location with your friends/organization and anyone else, you'll need to send them the coordinates.

I hope that helps!

16 minutes ago, NQ-Nyota said:

You will be able to see the locations of your constructs on the new system map if they are selected in the left menu. Sharing the location with your friends/organization and anyone else, you'll need to send them the coordinates.

I hope that helps!

Thank you, so the current operating principle was included in the new map. Too bad, I hoped that you can "unlock" a separate station for the map, so similar to the interesting places (points of interest) on the planet surface.

9 hours ago, NQ-Nyota said:

I hope that helps!

Can you guys post about wipe or no wipe instead of other dev blogs?

Honestly, the player base doesn't care until we know if it is worth playing or not....

4 hours ago, Thunderblaze said:

Can you guys post about wipe or no wipe instead of other dev blogs?

Honestly, the player base doesn't care until we know if it is worth playing or not....

There ist an other post for this topic. Start the discussion there. Thanks.

Back tp topic. The new map is a big progress.  The performance issue with large lists of territories and cores is done. Most features of other 3d DU-Maps are in the game now. But there is a thing that can help larger Orgs a lot. Could we have a possibility to "collect" static or space staton cores to one virtuell entry in the construc list ? For example: A larger space station with 15 - 20 cores has the same number of entries in the constructlist, like NAME 1, Name 2, .... . A better way are one entry "NAME" station. For most tasks that ist enough and the clarity rise. If you need to target a specific core, you can open the "folder".  Like a drop down menu with folders to open. Something in this way.

On the old map we can see distances to all the planets at once, you seem to have removed that, that info is useful.

We can see immediately which planet we are closest to. you cant on this new map

Please add planet distances like  it is on the old map

💥Fantastic! A sorely needed Quality of Life improvement! Really nicely done guys, thanks so much! 🥰 Definitely looking forward to more improvements like this. Just being able to sort constructs alone makes me very happy... 

👾 Question: Is there a framework in place to allow us to take advantage of Transponders in a way that will give us IFF capabilities like red vs. blue dots notating friends vs enemies on the minimap/gunnery seat hud/other useful places. This is important to alot of builders/PvPewPewers/(and people who like things other people like because they lack imagination) for a literal shit-ton of reasons

4 hours ago, Modgud said:

Could we have a possibility to "collect" static or space staton cores to one virtuell entry in the construc list ?

Translation: Do you wonderful devs have anything in mind to allow us to group cores? Could be nice for various reasons like not seeing 100 cores named N1, N2, N3, etc when you are looking in radar. Also to have a single entry listed or have them grouped into tabs or folders for organization in the constructs tab.

The map is absolutely a welcomed change and a highlight of Athena. 

As others have mentioned the map is now in a position where it could evolve further. 

Using warp beacon or a similarly expensive item (to limit spam) it would be nice for players to be able to advertise their space station's globally. You could go the extra mile down the road and make space sector's. As more players obtain the ability to advertise they will be POI'S of that sector of space so the list is never too large.

Transponders could be used to ping friendly ships on the map if you have the code to see them.

When pvp action happens in the system maybe in the future the map could globally ping fighting hot spots.

The construct list absolutely needs some management options or catargories.