Some ideas about the Wipe. (NQ please read, not a rant an idea.)

AdmiralS3

I know, some of us are in deadly fear of the probable wipe. Some of us have played for years, built an empire.... etc. etc. etc.

Some of us meanwhile have a more open mind about such things. We paid knowing there was a risk, we played knowing there was the potential for our vast empires to fall into the sands of time, lost but not forgotten.

As such I have a solution that should fit the needs of most. I know not all players,. but most.

NQ give those of us here now 2 weeks prior to the wipe, to find 50 things we MUST keep. Give us a box, a special cargo container with a limit in what it can contain... unlimited weight, but only 50 things.. 50 BPs, 50 arrays, 50 sets of voxels, 50 engines, 50 shields, 50 command chairs, or any combination that you can conceive of what we the players MUST keep, hell allow it to take q as well. Never know who may wanna just amass a huge fortune they can not spend for another 3 to 8 months while the game market redevelops.

For myself I am a modest man, 2 BPOs of my favorite hand-built ships. 1 BPO of my HQ, a few parts so I can build the smallest ship I love and cannot bear to part with, so I will have a fine fair start, and of course some bricks, in the aluminum flavor so I can start fresh... maybe a core or 3, even if I cannot use them right away.

As for our skills, we spent time in earnest helping you develop the game. We pointed out flaws, we in some cases lent our ideas, and even some of us our talents and skills and money to help you bring this game to life. I am not saying don't reset them... but give us some consideration in that area. a refund of sorts, say 10% maybe even if your feeling generous 25%, in the form of spendable points towards our newly reset skills. It would still be a hard blow to many of us, but most of us understand the need to give newer players a chance, and yes this would give us a slight leg up.

However consider this, we are your core players right now. many of have been here for quiet some time now. We are the base that your game will expand from. giving us at least a token consideration only goes to help expand the game upon its real launch that much faster. Outright eliminating all we have done and been here for will start you off with a group that is completely disenfranchised with the game, and will inevitably hurt your business in the end.

Please take my request into consideration.

Respectfully;

Admiral S3

One second while I get 100 alt accounts created so I can bring 5,000 items with me. Bringing SP would negate the main reason for a wipe, which would be to attract new players to a fresh even world. 

However I dont think there should be a wipe in the first place. No reason for it. Economy is not so broken that a wipe will make everything great again. New players are not going to flock to the game because its a fresh wipe. If players only joined fresh games eve would have died out long ago. 

Just Setup a NEW Server for new players, ended.  I think Items is not the most concern, but talents (which requires REAL money and TIME to accumulate).   Easiest solution to sell everything and just grab your money to sort out "item problem".  Wipe is a WRONG IDEA at the very beginning as they just forfeit players efforts and accumulated premier (eg: Talent points).  If they REALLY need a wipe, saving $, talents and few BP should sort out all problems. BUT, it breaks the creditability of NQ as this is really SHOCK to anyone in an MMO world.  Maybe except FFXIV since this is not a construction type game, and DU hardly described as a PVP game. 

13 minutes ago, RugesV said:

One second while I get 100 alt accounts created so I can bring 5,000 items with me. Bringing SP would negate the main reason for a wipe, which would be to attract new players to a fresh even world. 

However I dont think there should be a wipe in the first place. No reason for it. Economy is not so broken that a wipe will make everything great again. New players are not going to flock to the game because its a fresh wipe. If players only joined fresh games eve would have died out long ago. 

I did say those of us here now, negating your 100 alts.

I doubt that overall SP is the main reason for a wipe. I would postulate that the main reason for a wipe would be 2 fold.

1 allow new players a chance to grab some land on Alioth and its moons, as well as other planets. Right now most of the decent territory has been taken. In many cases by barely attentive landlords at best.
2. Allow those newer to get a foot hold before a potentially larger influx of even newer players arrive.

The market is what the market is, and frankly I still believe it requires work. Such as the ability to setup an actual player-built market that's not just a collection of crates and actually advertise that it is a market.

The simple fact is NQ will likely do a wipe, pretending there won't be one does not help. Providing some reasonable options could.

Ah, good to see we have reached the Bargaining phase. Almost there.

The main reasons for a wipe is to remove past "mistakes" and fix the "economy". So keeping quanta and the vast array of territories (and their mining units) is not going to be viable.

An excellent outcome in the event of a wipe would be if each of the current players (not ones created after the announced date) gets to keep a single construct and all the contents in its containers.  Quanta and talent points are still at NQ's discretion, though I would suspect that talent points remain while quanta gets removed.  All blueprints stay because they are effectively useless without gathering materials again.  

All this is conjecture and at this point NQ can do as they please since many have stopped playing (and retracted subs) until further notice.

5 minutes ago, ABitCrazy said:

Just Setup a NEW Server for new players, ended.  I think Items is not the most concern, but talents (which requires REAL money and TIME to accumulate).   Easiest solution to sell everything and just grab your money to sort out "item problem".  Wipe is a WRONG IDEA at the very beginning as they just forfeit players efforts and accumulated premier (eg: Talent points).  If they REALLY need a wipe, saving $, talents and few BP should sort out all problems. BUT, it breaks the creditability of NQ as this is really SHOCK to anyone in an MMO world.  Maybe except FFXIV since this is not a construction type game, and DU hardly described as a PVP game. 

I tend to agree with you on the wipe, but NQ has a fairly valid point on it (like it or not.) those of us that have been around a while have a sizable leg up already. Some of us have 100+ territories, Unlimited incomes, and endless array of ships and buildings, product lines, etc etc etc....

Yes the skills give us an edge that a newer player would not have, but the system the way it is, they can catchup... as we advance to higher and higher tier skills, they can reach T3 and T4s and be competitive while we can simply enhance our bottom line. (Thinking in terms of sales and construction here.) as you said DU is hardly a PVP game... and the PVP related skills are at best minimal on impact of the game its self. While I'd hate to loose the time invested in those skills, to me the greater impact and probably to many is the time invested in the constructs. A single ship takes weeks, if not longer to flush out.. tweak and then retweak a thousand times. At least having the BPO gives us a chance to get back to where we are. Even if that takes sometime.

I don't think a sperate server does the newer players or us older players any good. We would be locked into a dyeing server, with no fresh recruits so to speak, while they would not benefit from our collective years of knowledge. Ultimately one would survive and the other eventually die off, or be merged together eventually... which would lead to probably another wipe of sorts, or a great deal of issues later.

8 minutes ago, Kurock said:

Ah, good to see we have reached the Bargaining phase. Almost there.

The main reasons for a wipe is to remove past "mistakes" and fix the "economy". So keeping quanta and the vast array of territories (and their mining units) is not going to be viable.

An excellent outcome in the event of a wipe would be if each of the current players (not ones created after the announced date) gets to keep a single construct and all the contents in its containers.  Quanta and talent points are still at NQ's discretion, though I would suspect that talent points remain while quanta gets removed.  All blueprints stay because they are effectively useless without gathering materials again.  

All this is conjecture and at this point NQ can do as they please since many have stopped playing (and retracted subs) until further notice.

I am hoping level heads prevail.

I like your idea more then mine. LOL, but I was trying to be reasonable, with newer players needs taken into consideration.

And sadly your right, many of us are barely here presently while we wait for NQ to deliver the news.

Unfortunately for me, I am reliving the situation experienced in another Sand Box MMO, Life is Feudal, the patterns of what happened are being repeated, wipes, players who wanted to keep their possessions in the wipes, players who wanted a more pvp environment, players who said that builders were the essence of the game... the resolution was as follows:

1-Launch of a unified server with many pvp

restrictions "turned out to be a bore and the game was continually losing users"

2-Wipe and launch of 2 servers one without PVP and one with PvP "the PVE server had hardly any population and for some reason the PVE players preferred to play in the PVP, but continually complaining"

3-Wipe, elimination of the PVE server and creation of a much bigger PVE/PVP server. "The PVE zone was used in practice by PVP players as a war factory, distorting the PVP zone, game become a big arena"

4-Closing of the game due to lack of players who paid a fee "They wanted to make everyone happy, when in reality you have to have a clear project, if your game has a small gameplay loop, and destruction is required so that the game loop does not end, you have to accept that some people are not going to be happy of losing his things, but the game will work"

All MMOs survive why wipe, people name wipe, EXPANSIONS, and accept this, but in sand boxes, people is so stick to his "hard work"

try for a moment, imagine that a world of warcraft player was opposed to an expansion, because the armor he uses will be obsolete and he will waste his time investment in getting it

In games where there is actually a cycle of destruction, these wipes are called world wars, as in the case of EVE Online, where it is the players who reset the economy by destroying large amounts of resources.

Edited by Sycopata

Honestly if there were a solution like this I wouldnt even bother to figure out how to port over the most value, one of each industry elements (mine are still just uncommon) the rest I just fill it up with as many containers I can fit.

Why is it important that all players have the same starting conditions?

After 2 days the whales will be whales again and the casual will be casual low again.

So whats the point of wiping quantas? Why cant we keep our belongings? So that new players come to an empty world?

What they will get anyway with the new FistTimeUserExperience Sanctuary Moon.

Why cant we keep our 5 HQs?

Pragmatically you are right but it's all in the court of public perception... It's not about what it will achieve, but about what people feel, people that for the most part allready left us once...

On 4/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, Kurock said:

An excellent outcome in the event of a wipe would be if each of the current players (not ones created after the announced date) gets to keep a single construct and all the contents in its containers. 

My biggest construct has 60 EXL containers.  It can hold everything I own, including around 15 million L of ore.  It's a proper ship someone made a while ago, not a canned example of how much you can get in a construct.

This is really an example of how any 'you can keep some of your stuff' rule will get abused.  Can keep 50 items?  Someone will take 50 warp beacons.

Remove past "mistakes" and fix the "economy" is a good reason to wipe. Better would be answers to how to deal with both of these matters as they will return no matter how hard NQ tries to stop them. Exploits are always a when never a if sort of thing. An answer of wiping the game while it may work now will not work in two years. 

17 minutes ago, PotatoMart said:

lol another thread with, you can wipe  "if can keep" this or that........

full wipe or no wipe

The no wipe, life isn't fair, get over it. If you are not competitive now, you will never be. ...