The game released in 2020. Why wipe?

Snipey

3 minutes ago, space_man said:

If you enjoyed the game, then you paid for that time.

A wipe doesn't just mean an end, its a new beginning.

Now lets holds around the camp fire and sing kumbaya.

It's a persistent game. The fact that they can't keep up with it means in 1 month after a wipe of any kind the same problems will still exist. 

Betas are usually a 1 time purchase like the founders packs. The second they started charging a monthly sub for access is a "soft launch". 

I have never heard of a game charging monthly for a beta they will just wipe when the company changes hands. 

So if the company changes hands 1 year from now will they wipe just to appease newer players? 

Will they wipe every patch because they are a lost puppy with no idea what they are doing? 

They should have just kept plugging along without thinking of a wipe. Now they are in territory that will destroy the game and most likely will not recover. 

Watching NQ since 2020 they are horrible with communication and ideas. They never listen to feedback and regularly release tone deaf posts saying "we heard you" while simultaneously ignoring everything that was said. 

38 minutes ago, space_man said:

If you enjoyed the game, then you paid for that time.

That doesn't fly for me. NQ made the game experience a huge grind before you can do certain things the last year and a half has been an experience of additional limitations with every patch, most of us working hard to overcome those limitations, just to run into another wall that suddenly appears randomly after another NQ patch. That doesn't mean I didn't have any satisfaction in the game, I did have some satisfaction when I reached a milestone in my (master) plan.

Let me put it this way, I've been crawling along DU, every time I started to get up a bit, NQ kicked my legs from under me with their changes. The wipe will be NQ coming out with a machete to cut my arms and legs off and telling me that worms should start over...

Imho NQ has been hard at work making DU more grindy then is necessary or fun.

It really seems like the only thing that a wipe will accomplish is creating a buzz around the fact that they're doing it.  Everything else could be accomplished without a wipe, or isn't actually going to be accomplished anyway.

If they give out "magic blueprints" it will hugely benefit some people, and randomly penalize other people depending on how they do it, and how much notice they give.  And giving less notice will only punish trusting people and benefit people who saw it coming.  Either way, not a "fresh start" just a new mess.

If they wipe everything else but let people keep all their Blueprints it's a huge hit to ship builders, who sold their designs only to have one side of the transaction wiped, while everyone gets to keep the other side.

But if they only let people keep Core Blueprints it's a huge hit to anyone who has a collection of ships or designs that they don't want to lose, some of which they might not be able to buy again after the wipe.  NQ just outright deleting all those Blueprints isn't going to go over well.

And if the only thing it achieves is a short term bump in new players, it just feels like they are monetizing wiping my progress.

Here's an Idea:  NO wipe BUT...  create a race of aliens that destroys everything forcing the human race to (again) relocate to a new system using warp gates...    you get to keep all the resources you can carry, blueprints and quantas you made but still have to restart all over.  New systems = opportunities to fix the game.

what other ideas can we add to complete the transfer?

any thoughts?

Edited by BlueDevila

Ideas are great, but NQ's inability to execute makes it an exercise in futility even suggesting them.

Just take a look at the NQ release notes for patches to get an ideas how much (little) NQ manages to accomplish in a given time frame.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:04 AM, BlueDevila said:

Here's an Idea:  NO wipe BUT...  create a race of aliens that destroys everything forcing the human race to (again) relocate to a new system using warp gates...    you get to keep all the resources you can carry, blueprints and quantas you made but still have to restart all over.  New systems = opportunities to fix the game.

what other ideas can we add to complete the transfer?

any thoughts?

Still better idea than just go on and delete all of this. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, FuriousPuppy said:

I wont say its a scam, but a super huge failed attempt at completing goals. 

When the pvp trailer came out and it looks high impact with fighter jets and explosions it looks awesome, but the reality of it is, all that footage is fake and scripted. Its not even close to what pvp is on the live server and when I asked NQ about it they said its what they "envisioned"

I was mad because its a fully eddited video with fake explosions and player manuevers that you cant do on live. YOU CANT EVEN SEE THE ENEMY SHIP UNLESS YOU ARE WITHIN 5KM 

absolute meme and joke. PVP advertised as awesome and come to try it and it sucks. GG no RE

Scam... hard to say but arguably no; deceptive and potentially false advertising? Yes. 

I was hoping that Athena would bring PVP more in line with the videos showcasing it on the website/ads... and it doesn't really. It was a bit closer, but still- it's not remotely the same. I had imagined space cores/alien cores massively slowing down speed/weapon distance by emitting a quantum disruption field that fundamentally alters physics in a radiating space... which I had hoped was going to be the case, but alas- no... 

*edit to add* Also the servers caught fire in the middle of the PTS event... it was a mess. 

So, with Athena being the last major update before DU goes to full release, and the "envisioned" gameplay still missing... what does this leave us with? It may not be a scam, but it smells of fraud and it could be argued it is, legally.  *end edit*

Edited by BlindingBright

Hi guys, Ive not even played DU.  Im looking at it and there is alot I just dont understand.  However one thing is clear there is ALOT of talk of a WIPE inc.  Some questions:

1.  Is there a wipe 100% coming
2. When
3. What will the update mean to players 

4.  DU seems to be geared to 2 or more players working together is that accurate?

5 hours ago, Zugs said:

Hi guys, Ive not even played DU.  Im looking at it and there is alot I just dont understand.  However one thing is clear there is ALOT of talk of a WIPE inc.  Some questions:

1.  Is there a wipe 100% coming
2. When
3. What will the update mean to players 

4.  DU seems to be geared to 2 or more players working together is that accurate?

Hello Zugs and welcome to the forums. I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) A sever wipe is currently being considered (see here for details) but regardless of what you may have heard, there is no official decision at this point in time. The staff at Novaquark are carefully assessing the situation and when a consensus is reached, you will see an official announcement on this forum page, the official news site, and/or the information channels on the DU discord.

2) Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe but it is reasonable to assume that should the decision to wipe be made, it will take place prior to the official release date of Dual Universe. With that in mind, the developers have stated that they would like to make Athena the last major beta update before said release and are going to be focusing their attention towards smaller "polishing patches" going forward. So while I wouldn't describe release as imminent, we are getting fairly close now.

3) If you are referring to the upcoming Athena update then I would argue it has the biggest impact on new players (due to the improved FTUE) and existing players who regularly venture into deep space (new map + visuals, pvp + movement changes, and a space market). For a more detailed overview see these devblogs (FTUE, PvPSystem Map, Space MarketLua Improvements).

4) Both playing with friends and playing alone are possible in Dual Universe but your experience will vary accordingly. There is undoubtedly strength in numbers and a greater enjoyment to be had when experiencing DU alongside trusted friends, but solo play is indeed possible. From a technical standpoint, the main disadvantage to solo play is time, everything will take longer because you have to do it yourself whereas groups can divide and conquer. My suggestion would be to join an organization (the DU equivalent of guilds) and see how you like it. You can always decide to leave and go solo if its not working out.

Welp. Now I've seen everything:

We've had the scourge of the three year old necro threads reborn...
We've had undying 30+ page vampire threads seemingly endlessly ongoing...

Now, we have a plague of doppelgänger threads...

... almost identical copies of threads that have come before to drive us insane.

5f5b4bf901a45.png?resize=568,542

People are far too willing to bandy about terms like "scam" and "liar" these days. Sometimes it's better just to accept that it may well be mere incompetence rather than actual honest-to-goodness malice.

Hanlon's Razor is a good thing to always remember -- in games and in life. 

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

For all the crap that we players might talk, game design and development is no easy feat. 

I have seen people talk about this silly idea that NQ never wanted to make a game and always wanted to "sell their tech" -- tech that hasn't proven to scale, is reliant on specific vendors like Unigen/AWS, or is based on public academic research...no sane company would spend 8+ years on a game just to "sell the tech"...

It makes zero sense. 

NQ isn't a scam. It has made very, very typical mistakes for a first-time studio that were easy to avoid...but they have tried. I respect them for that at least. 

There's a big difference between changing one's mind due to changing circumstances and "lying".

Reality is they could pull DU offline tomorrow forever -- there's never a guarantee that any online game or service will remain online or available. 

Mmm, no, blockchains don't magically solve anything. Centralized systems are far superior in the context of MMO development (and most everything to be honest).

Smart contracts are a huge mess and the blockchain is massive waste of electricity in general.

Even the latest NFT-crazed MMO (i.e. BigTime) runs on traditional architecture...for a very good reason. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:12 AM, FuriousPuppy said:

I wont say its a scam, but a super huge failed attempt at completing goals. 

When the pvp trailer came out and it looks high impact with fighter jets and explosions it looks awesome, but the reality of it is, all that footage is fake and scripted. Its not even close to what pvp is on the live server and when I asked NQ about it they said its what they "envisioned"

I was mad because its a fully eddited video with fake explosions and player manuevers that you cant do on live. YOU CANT EVEN SEE THE ENEMY SHIP UNLESS YOU ARE WITHIN 5KM 

absolute meme and joke. PVP advertised as awesome and come to try it and it sucks. GG no RE

If it wasn't a scam, it is now.  That video showing their 'concept' of ship combat is being used now on Youtube video adverts for the game when they know perfectly well combat will never look like that.  Pretty blatant false advertising.

35 minutes ago, Kruzer said:

If it wasn't a scam, it is now.  That video showing their 'concept' of ship combat is being used now on Youtube video adverts for the game when they know perfectly well combat will never look like that.  Pretty blatant false advertising.

Fair. It's also amazingly counter-productive.

If they're using the same advert as when public beta dropped, it's probably because they hired a third party firm to develop it...and contracted firms only care about conversion rate, not retention. They probably don't want to spend more money when that ad already "works". 

A great advert with high conversion can lead to higher churn rates than if they presented an honest advert. It's more economical to get fewer people into the game for longer than attracting a flood of new players that churn right away. 

Ads like these work fine for non-subscription products or subs with a high enough initial buy-in...but a $9.99 entry point that has to be re-earned monthly? Not so much. 

They should have learned all this with public beta's roll out...hopefully they go a different direction for release, but I won't hold my breath.