A better replacement for Schematics

Wolfram

I was reading some comments regarding Schematics and while I understand they were VERY unpopular, I also understand they made people follow a certain "path" on specialization. Since we might be wiping soon and removing Schematics, it might be a good moment to suggest this.

My idea is replacing Schematics with a "research tree", similar to how Rust has implemented for item crafting. It could even reuse lots of code and logic from the Talent system.

Basically, instead of having tons of copies of different schematics, you would need to learn or "research" a certain item with points you get over time, to be able to produce it in machines. The more complex the item, the further down it would be on the tree and the longer it would take to learn it.

Optionally, Schematics could still exist as a way of "skipping" a few steps and being able to produce items, but with the downside of being a very expensive way to do so. Basically for any recipe you haven't "learned" you still would need to have one schematic per machine running it.

Beyond the fact players would need to specialize into specific areas of industry, another advantage of such system is that this could also allow for gameplay mechanics such as players selling the services of setting-up industry for other players, for example.

Ahh so this is pretty much what you said on discord, alrighty my two cents even though people have said this hundreds of times.

You brought up the talent system and that got me thinking, why not just expand on the talent system we already have?

Say I want to make intermediate parts or whatever those circuit board chips are. I could train talents all the way up to making those specific parts, then I can train further into making those specific parts in the same way that we have other talents set up for reducing the amount of materials required, increasing the rate of production, if a quality or wear system were ever introduced then better quality parts that could be used and repaired more before needing total replacement. We have a lot of teeny tiny parts, so this could allow for fairly deep (some would argue useless) specialization.

If you want to go even deeper, then expand all that to the element level. If you have a bunch of skills that allow you to make high quality building blocks, then that should allow you to train higher quality skills and build higher quality elements which you could sell for higher prices.

Why limit this to just better quality building blocks, industry units are elements too aren't they? Make things faster, bigger batches, etc.

Again, mind you, this is just an expansion and deepening of the current talent tree. Nothing radical on the surface but I'm sure a difference is evident when flying a construct with no talents versus maxed talents.

Did I just rephrase the OP? I feel like I did...

26 minutes ago, DarkHorizon said:

Say I want to make intermediate parts or whatever those circuit board chips are. I could train talents all the way up to making those specific parts, then I can train further into making those specific parts in the same way that we have other talents set up for reducing the amount of materials required, increasing the rate of production, if a quality or wear system were ever introduced then better quality parts that could be used and repaired more before needing total replacement. We have a lot of teeny tiny parts, so this could allow for fairly deep (some would argue useless) specialization.

If you want to go even deeper, then expand all that to the element level. If you have a bunch of skills that allow you to make high quality building blocks, then that should allow you to train higher quality skills and build higher quality elements which you could sell for higher prices.

It could work very nicely if it was developed inside the talent system! Even less work for NQ to focus on and less chances of things going wrong.

The idea of creating high quality elements that are more resistant or offer different buffs is even greater, would add a whole new immersion level to the game, which in my opinion would be very welcome too. I like it!

I'd think a research-system/industry for producing schematics might work better than talents, as it could be serve as both a resource-sink and gameplay loop.

-Let everyone with the appropriately sized industry elements create t1 without a schematic,

-Have an element that eats a number of t1 elements along with some additional materials to produce a t2 schematic of the elements you've fed it,

-Repeat with t2 to get t3, ect... so that players can produce the schematics themselves,

-Give all schematics a limited number of runs so that people aren't just using the system for a bit until they have their schematics and are good forever,

---Allow existing industry units to pull new schematics of what they were set to manufacture from containers the same way they pull ingredients so that factory people aren't spending all year reloading their factory's individual industry units with schematics.

Every component, every element have its own talent 5/5 etc.

everything currently have schematics like at present,  it they are not made by bots, they are created as part of industry somehow.

maybe yes if you refine 10,000 coal in your nano pack you get a coal refiner schematic, maybe some other system; but remove schematics as a bot item. If there is a sexy stick for sale on the market, it is. Cause somebody made it and they don’t want it (as much as the quanta).