Why the massive NERF?

Daphne Jones

DId you check in build mode if there are any collisions? Several of my ships where saying they had collisions. Which pretty much shut the entire ship down. I had to move them (and back to the same spot they where not colliding) before the ship would function. 

So chances are, if your ship is handling like dog coming out of a mud hole holding a 10 foot stick. Its because a bunch of the elements are turned off because they are colliding with something. 

21 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

answer is, yes. 

this game is about physics and math while on planet, but once in space you are in the hands of the DU gods and gravity touching your ship 300 SU from the nearest planet is always a thing.

Space magicxs!

I don't understand your point. There is not and should not be a distance limit to gravity other then the inverse square law. Athena in particular is venturing off into fantasy physics, but what you mention is not part of the problem. (And gravity doesn't affect mass anyway.)

18 hours ago, RugesV said:

DId you check in build mode if there are any collisions? Several of my ships where saying they had collisions. Which pretty much shut the entire ship down. I had to move them (and back to the same spot they where not colliding) before the ship would function. 

So chances are, if your ship is handling like dog coming out of a mud hole holding a 10 foot stick. Its because a bunch of the elements are turned off because they are colliding with something. 

Yeah. Both ships I checked are careful clean builds. They just has a much higher mass in the PTS. The warp shuttle doubled in mass- apparently the warp drive took a really hard nerf. The other ship doesn't even have a warp drive, but still got significantly more massive.

Unless the effectiveness of the elements they made heavier was increased, I find this to be monumentally stupid and unnecessary. Which, if the flight characteristics are altered as much as you suggest, they weren’t.

If the goal is to have certain mass thresholds for their relative top speeds, why change element mass and not the figures for how much mass equals how much speed?

Seems like given the large variety of builds using a different numbers of elements, that would be harder to figure into things than a more broad strokes approach.

Now you have ships that would never even see PvP bogged down by changes to elements that never needed to happen.

I’m no dev/math whiz, it just seems like the wrong way to tweak things…

On 4/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, Daphne Jones said:

Yeah. Both ships I checked are careful clean builds. They just has a much higher mass in the PTS. The warp shuttle doubled in mass- apparently the warp drive took a really hard nerf. The other ship doesn't even have a warp drive, but still got significantly more massive.

Ahh your minimalist ships  that barely flew before. Yea I could see this change affecting builds like that.  For instance ships like the light skipper. They where built to exact parameters, and work well now. 

However this change actually benefits ship builders like this. Because now there is more of a reason for these builds, not just warp cells, but now speed will be affected. So these more optimized builds like you do will be even better. Downside is you have to redesign.

10 hours ago, RugesV said:

However this change actually benefits ship builders like this. Because now there is more of a reason for these builds, not just warp cells, but now speed will be affected. So these more optimized builds like you do will be even better. Downside is you have to redesign.

But those redesigns get tiresome real quick, and how can you sell such ships in good faith when they will stop functioning any time NQ feels like rearranging the deck just for fun of it?

On 4/16/2022 at 7:34 PM, RugesV said:

Ahh your minimalist ships  that barely flew before. Yea I could see this change affecting builds like that.  For instance ships like the light skipper. They where built to exact parameters, and work well now. 

Yeah yeah. More BS from NQ.

I'm eager to see how NQ manages this at release.

"Sorry, your constructs are borked because we did a balance change" isn't going to fly (no pun intended) post-release...and if they are trying to rush in all these balance tweaks before release, there will certainly be changes later (if the game makes it to post-release).